TransporterMalfunction

TOS a relic or revelation

TOS is...  

55 members have voted

1. 1. TOS is...

• Still valuable and relevant to modern day audiences
    • Outdated

I voted: Still valuable and relevant to modern day audiences

Just becuase something is old, doesn't mean it's outdated. TOS is a classic and will remain that way in my opinion. Sure, in time, it'll look extremely outdated, but I see it as becoming a representation of how the "Star Trek" saga began, thus I don't see it going anywhere.

Now, where are the season sets? B)

Also: N/T? :lol:

Just becuase something is old, doesn't mean it's outdated.  TOS is a classic and will remain that way in my opinion.  Sure, in time, it'll look extremely outdated, but I see it as becoming a representation of how the "Star Trek" saga began, thus I don't see it going anywhere.

Same here :lol:

I don't think TOS is outdated. It has topics in it that are still relevant today. And it may be not up-to-date-looking but it is the first Star Trek series and so it has a special meaning to me.

Mrs. Captain Picard

" It's still good, It's still good" - Bart Simpson

Sure the graphics are old school and the costumes/makeup aren't as dazzling as now a days...but the show still represents what Roddenberry had in mind ans still interests me to watch whenever it's on. Season sets would be good.

I chose "still valuable and relevant." It may not be as "high-tech" as the shows today, but it's not the effects and costumes and "cool things" that keep this series alive. It's the stories and the valuable wisdom and truth that they share. Most TOS episodes gave new points of view and shared important facts of life. Some were warnings about what might happen to mankind if certain events of the day were allowed to continue. Some of them were just great stories, and a great story is timeless; they never grow old. A lot of the old Star Trek episodes paralleled the current events of the time. History does seem to repeat itself, so these parallels can be applied to current events even today. These qualities are the essense of Trek. They are what keep it alive and relevant, even after so many years, and what will propel it into the future.

I voted it is still good and relevant today..It's all about the stories that those episodes tell..They are still relevant in todays world..Amazing that I've seen each one of those episodes so many times. And I will still watch them on the Sci Fi channel and pop in a TOS DVD to watch. Those shows will always be special for me..It's where Roddenberry's vision of the future began..It's where Star Trek began...

Still valuable and relevant to modern day audiences, the only thing required is an audience with an open mind, fertile to it's ideas and the magic will work.

Stardate:213499.8

I think they are still relevant.The fact that you still hear people say "live long and prosper" or "Beam me up Scotty"signafies that.And I believe it will still be relevant for years to come.

Just becuase something is old, doesn't mean it's outdated.  TOS is a classic and will remain that way in my opinion.  Sure, in time, it'll look extremely outdated, but I see it as becoming a representation of how the "Star Trek" saga began, thus I don't see it going anywhere.

Same here :laugh:

Same here

I'm soooo original :laugh:

Still valuable and relevant to modern day audiences.

I agree with all the above posters. TOS endures because of intelligent script writers who told stories that made audiences think, unlike many of today's TV series who depend on eye candy to attract an audience.

unlike many of today's TV series who depend on eye candy to attract an audience.

Mind you, there was still a bit of the young ladies on show in Star Trek.

That's true TM but the difference is imo, the ladies weren't there to be ogled and panted over by the men. That projected a very classy illusion that in this future, sexy women could be around without affecting the men's judgments, suggesting a true sexual revolution of the best kind had occurred among the sexes, I hope that made sense :laugh:

unlike many of today's TV series who depend on eye candy to attract an audience.

Mind you, there was still a bit of the young ladies on show in Star Trek.

That's true TM but the difference is imo, the ladies weren't there to be ogled and panted over by the men. That projected a very classy illusion that in this future, sexy women could be around without affecting the men's judgments, suggesting a true sexual revolution of the best kind had occurred among the sexes, I hope that made sense :laugh:

Agreed. Perhaps the attitudes presented in Enterprise could be used to present a bridge between the values of today and the achievement of the values suggested in TOS.

TOS is not outdated

The technical aspects of it might be, but the stories and ideas are not. Some of the oldest stories of time still have there place in modern society. They might be technically out-of-date, but some of them still carry through and their conflicts still carry through to the present of modern society. TOS I believe is no different them some of the stories that have been timeless.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

It's still relevant. The original series was truly before it's time in theme and thought. I think TOS is example of television at it's best compared to the crap that's on now. Excluding Enterprise and Stargate SG1 of course.

:) Not out Dated.......Would sit and watch them all again. Wish my girls could see all of them. They would then understand why I feel the way I do. :)

They think I'm Obesed with these boards, and VOY/Chakotay :( :)

Actually I'm :) about it all. :)

Of course it's still valuable and relevant to modern day audiences!! (and the votes agree with me 100% :lol: ) It's funny, interesting, good entertainment, thouhgtful, and it's interesting to see how television has changed.

I also voted valuable and relevant to today.It seems that after over 30 years many of the problems we had in the 60's are still with us today.

I can't wait untill i'm an old man and i hear kids complaining about how TNG, DS9, VOY & Enterprise are obsolite and outdated. I will laugh. :lol: :laugh::laugh: :lol: TOS will always be Relevent.

TOS is still relevant to today's audience.

TOS has captured the hearts and minds of all that watch the show whether they are young or old.

TOS was way ahead of its time. It has given many hope when everything in their lives at that time was in termoil. It has paved the way for all other shows that followed it. B) B)

Even when I never grew-up in the time that TOS was around (TNG was my time) I still love to see the episodes when ever I can. They are still the best or the best or the rest!