Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

AOL Chatroom

OK, did know where to post this, so I'll post here.

Will we be using both the AOL and Ddillard's chatroom, or just the Ddillard chat? I'm asking becuase the AOL chat is much more accessable when I only have like 5 mins to be online. ANywho, thanks for letting me know in advance. :lol: Later...

I think its better too, because people without instant messaging can use it.  the only problem is, I still can't get in it for some reason, but oh well, we're working on it

Just an FYI, you must have internet explorer or Netscape, I also believe you can use AOL, but alot of the other browsers will not support the chat room.

I think its better too, because people without instant messaging can use it.  the only problem is, I still can't get in it for some reason, but oh well, we're working on it

Just an FYI, you must have internet explorer or Netscape, I also believe you can use AOL, but alot of the other browsers will not support the chat room.

I have AIM but it still wont let me in.

I have AIM but it still wont let me in.

You do not need AIM to get into the new chat room as we no longer use an AIM Chatroom. What message are you receiving when you attempt to enter, and are you using the correct password of "Chat" If you are still having issues getting in please send me a PM and I will be glad to help you.

Guest Ktrek

Well, I hate to sound ungrateful but I for one really liked the AOL chat better. I can't get into the current chat for some reason although I could when it first went online. However, that is not the reason I prefer AOL. The main reason I prefer AOL is because you can add all the STFANS that have AOL onto your buddy list and be able to send anyone who was online a PM to come join the chat. That meant the chat room was frequented more often than it is now because it's only being used for scheduled chats anymore. Now to me THAT"S VERY SAD! I enjoyed being called into the chatroom occasionally and being able to interact with several of our members. AOL is also much easier to use and not restricted to logging in through the webpage. Perhaps there are others who hold the same opinion as myself but don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I really do not like the new chat at all! Sorry Dillard no offense meant!

Ktrek

Just put in the word Chat and I still could not get in. :)  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :)  B)

please remember that the password is case sensitive and must be in lower case letters. If you are still having issues please send me a PM with any messages that you are receiving when you try to log in and I will assist you, but I need to know what message you are receiving in order to troubleshoot the issue.

Perhaps there are others who hold the same opinion as myself but don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I really do not like the new chat at all! Sorry Dillard no offense meant!

Ktrek

So far I have only heard from one (now 2) people that don't like the new room better then AIM. In fact to the contrary, I have heard from and read quite a few positive reviews of the new chat room.

Every time I have gone in there are quite a few people in there chatting, more so then when I would open the old AIM room.

The new room integrates better with the forum, is customizable and moderator enabled. It has more features and is accessible outside of the board, all you need to do is bookmark the URL for the chat room.

It is also more universally usable whereas AIM needs a special download and many people that access the board from work and are unable to download. Also some younger users are not permitted to download programs to their parents computers and AIM left them out of any board chats.

For these reasons, as well as other considerations the official STF.NET chat room is the new room that is currently being used.

I've an idea! Why don't we have 2 chatrooms? We have D'Dillard's and AIM StarTrekFansChat for example. The latter, instead of a link, could just be a title to invite ourselves into the room. I think having 2 rooms would give more options and be far better. I like D'Dillard's chatroom, but I also liked being able to check the bookmarked chatroom on AOL without having to come to STF. All I saying is that we should have options as I enjoy both, depending on my internet activities at the time. :)

I've an idea!  Why don't we have 2 chatrooms?  We have D'Dillard's and AIM StarTrekFansChat for example.  The latter, instead of a link, could just be a title to invite ourselves into the room.  I think having 2 rooms would give more options and be far better.  I like D'Dillard's chatroom, but I also liked being able to check the bookmarked chatroom on AOL without having to come to STF.  All I saying is that we should have options as I enjoy both, depending on my internet activities at the time. :)

You can start a chat on AIM very easily and invite anyone on AIM into it so why would we need to have one on the board? There's no need for 2 chat rooms.

Well, what I ment, is, we should have D'Dillard's chatroom, and then as an alternative option, have an "official title" for an AIM chatroom, so that those with AIM can type it in and go chat. I didn't mean actually having it connected to STF. Well, is this a sound idea?

I've an idea!  Why don't we have 2 chatrooms?  We have D'Dillard's and AIM StarTrekFansChat for example.  The latter, instead of a link, could just be a title to invite ourselves into the room.  I think having 2 rooms would give more options and be far better.  I like D'Dillard's chatroom, but I also liked being able to check the bookmarked chatroom on AOL without having to come to STF.  All I saying is that we should have options as I enjoy both, depending on my internet activities at the time. :)

You may have noticed in VBG's post that you can bookmark the STF chatroom on your browser so you don't have to come to the boards to access it. I think that would be much easier and less confusing than having two chat rooms.

What I ment as in my previous post, was that we could have D'Dillard's room plus a STF chatroom title so AOL/AIM users can type it in and meet eachother without having to find and invite each other and stuff. D'Dillard's chatroom and STF chat title for AOL/AIM but without links and such. Sound good?

Stardate:213507.9

All these people having problems???I havent had any trouble getting in since it started.hmmmmmmmm oh well

With the exception of one person on the boards no one has done as I have asked multiple times when they have issues accessing the boards, and that is to send ME a PM with the error that they are recieving so that I can troubleshoot the issue. It is impossible for me to correct the issue if members do not bring it to MY attention with the exact error that they are having. Please keep in mind that "I can't get in" is not an error, I need to know exactly what happens when you try to log in to correct the issue, there are hundreds of issues that could cause you to have issues, both on your end and mine, and if I am not given the exact error that is occuring it is like sending me out in the woods to go hunting and not telling me what I am supposed to be shooting at and not give me any ammunition to do so anyway. So again if you are having issues with the chat room PLEASE send ME a PM and I will be glad to assist you.

What I ment as in my previous post, was that we could have D'Dillard's room plus a STF chatroom title so AOL/AIM users can type it in and meet eachother without having to find and invite each other and stuff.  D'Dillard's chatroom and STF chat title for AOL/AIM but without links and such.  Sound good?

Having more then one chat forum would be too "cluttered". We'd wind up with some in one and some in another and some not knowing where to go at all. The only official chat room is the one linked at the top of the forum. Plus as I said before, there were many people that either couldn't download AIM or didn't want to download AIM, this way no one has to download something extra just to access a feature of the board.