Sign in to follow this  
Wishfire

Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka?

Should Johnny Depp have been cast as Willy Wonka?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should Johnny Depp have been cast as Willy Wonka?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I'm not sure.

Don't get me wrong, I think Johnny Depp is a great actor. But I also think that some roles just weren't meant to be played by some people. And this Willy Wonka is one of them. I think that Johnny Depp was the wrong choice for the role of Willy Wonka. (I know, it's too late, the movie is about to be released... I don't care! It's been nagging me!!)

For reference...

The orginal Wonka

wonka_wilder.jpg

The cartoon Wonka

willywonka2.jpg

The new Wonka

catcf8.jpg

It just doesn't seem right to me.

but with tim burtons style, he is perfect, this isnt gonna be a singing lalala movie, its gonna have an edge with it, and watching the trailers, I think he will be great and it looks awsome

Oh, I'm not saying that Depp's performance won't be good, I'm sure it will be. I just have a thing about the actors casted to play a role to look like the character should.

(In all honesty, I don't remember the book very well, so for all I know the original Wonka was way off kilter as well.)

I read that Christopher Walken was originally cast as Willy Wonka.... I can only imagine what Burton was thinking "Hmm...let's scare the living bejeezus out of both kids and adults..Susan! Get me Walken!"

I read that Christopher Walken was originally cast as Willy Wonka.... I can only imagine what Burton was thinking "Hmm...let's scare the living bejeezus out of both kids and adults..Susan!  Get me Walken!"

329164[/snapback]

Hmm... I'm not sure whether I'd be ecstatic or quivering in fear...

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie, and I think Depp is quirky enough to pull it off.

The previews I've seen look good.

As for Walken, he's pigeon holded into this bad guy image, but I think I would have laughed my a** off at him in this role.

He does great character roles and I think he would have been superb.

Depp does weird very well and if I remember Willie Wonka was a weird movie to begin with - and if Burton is doing this one.

However, I loved Depp in Finding Neverland - he did non-weird very well.

I think JD might be a decent Willy Wonka for today's update of the film and in any event JD and TB have been in a few films together I am looking forward to seeing the new version of Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory.

:( :blush::blush::laugh:

I'm not sure... I like Gene Wonka alot but I like Johnny Wonka's hat even more *_*

I'm not sure. Johnny Depp's rendition of Willy Wonka doesn't strike me as nearly as intelligent as Gene Wilder's. I just think that Depp can't possibly top Wilder's *perfect* performance.

(Gene's Willy Wonka is one of my three favorite movie geniuses, the other two being Ian Malcolm (Jurassic Park) and Scar (Lion King.) This is strange, because this is the second time in one day's time that I've had to mentioon that.)

the other two being Ian Malcolm (Jurassic Park) and Scar (Lion King.)

Ah, yes. Jeff Goldblum and Jeremy Irons. Yes, I can agree on them being good actors as well.

Personally, I am kind of interested in seeing this take on Wonka. I know it is supposed to be more dark and more in tune with what the book was. Though I can agree that Wilder looks a heck of a lot more like Wonka of the candy labels then Depp does. But, my deal with that is.... did they have that label design with the cartoon of Wonka on it BEFORE or AFTER the film??? In other words, was Wonka(cartoon) done to resemble Wilder -or- was Wilder chosen because of his great acting talent and his uncanny resemblance to the cartoon?

But then... this kinda reminds me of the discussion my mother, sister & I were having yesterday. How could Judy Garland's Dorothy Gale from the Wizard of Oz grow up a year or two and become Faruza Balk's Dorothy Gale from the Return to Oz (and yeah we kept the span of time between the films in mind)? :laugh:

And I agree, UH... he was excellent in Finding Neverland!!

But, back on topic... I am going to set aside my image of Wilder as Wonka when I check out the new version of the film :yahoo:

I don't see why Depp shouldn't have been cast (his moronic political views aside).

Its going to be hard following up a great like Gene Wilder.I grew up with Wilder's Willy Wonka.

But the previews of Depp's Wonka have looked pretty good so far.

My little brother is going to see it.

They shouldn't have remade it. There'll only ever be one Willy wonka and that's the inimitable Gene Wilder.

They shouldn't have remade it. There'll only ever be one Willy wonka and that's the inimitable Gene Wilder.

333216[/snapback]

I agree, from the previews that I've seen so far it looks like it will be a disaster.

333216[/snapback]

I agree, from the previews that I've seen so far it looks like it will be a disaster.

333241[/snapback]

It looks scary

333242[/snapback]

I agree with both of you. If you've noticed some of my other posts or have looked at my signature, you'll know that I like Wilder already. Also, Wilder conveyed a Wonka that had the air of an off-beat genius (awesome! :lol: ) but it looks like Depp will be conveying a...well, an idiot with a lot of money. I have nothing against Depp himself, but this role (or at least the previews) reminds me of a certain singer with the last name "Jackson."

Edited by Eratosthenes

I'm voting I'm not sure. Isn't the reason for the contest because Wonka is getting old and wants someone who will run the factory the way he wants when he's gone? Depps Wonka doesn't look old at all, he appears to be a predator using the contest as an excuse to be near children. I know that's not where we're going but the film better have a good explanation for the change in the characters age.

The Willy Wonka I grew up with wasn't really much like the Roald Dahl book at all,so I'm hoping this new version is a little truer to the source material.Nothing against Gene,the man's a genius and I'll always love his Willy Wonka character....but I'm looking forward to seeing this new movie.

And,I suppose thirty years from now (if I'm still alive,God willing :jaw: ),I'll be looking forward to seeing the next remake.

Alterego

Isn't the reason for the contest because Wonka is getting old and wants someone who will run the factory the way he wants when he's gone? Depps Wonka doesn't look old at all, he appears to be a predator using the contest as an excuse to be near children.

:unsure: :wow: B)

That is indeed the funniest thing I've heard in quite a while. :P

M_5

The Willy Wonka I grew up with wasn't really much like the Roald Dahl book at all...

Roald Dahl wrote that book?! All I remember from him is something about chickens in Hoboken... And the BFG (Big Friendly Guy).

I love Tim Burton movies, but I'm not sure Johnny Depp is right for the part. Maybe I just feel that way because I've been seeing him in so many movies lately, and I'm not exactly a fan of his.

I did read somewhere that Johnny Depp has been somewhat inspired by Marilyn Manson when concerning the role, so that could be interesting.

I am very much looking forward to seeing Charlie and the Chocolate factory, I think Depp is a good choice as Wonka. This movie looks very gothic, it should be very interesting. :lol:

Now that I think about it,Depp's Wonka seems to be ripping off Mike Meyer's Cat In The Hat character..... :lol:

I did read somewhere that Johnny Depp has been somewhat inspired by Marilyn Manson when concerning the role, so that could be interesting.

336168[/snapback]

Actually, Maralyn Manson was originally supposed to play Wanka.

Well, it's been released...I was going to see it today, but the line was way too long. (it actually stretched out around the cinemaplex...which is understandable in some cases, like Star Wars, but I wasn't expecting any line for this movie.)

Has anyone seen it? I wonder if there should be a new poll on this subject about whether he was good or not.

Check out the link in Entertainment started by Gamera for the Reviews

:oops:

Edited by dragonwrangler95