Sign in to follow this  
Wishfire

Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka?

Should Johnny Depp have been cast as Willy Wonka?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should Johnny Depp have been cast as Willy Wonka?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I'm not sure.

I heard someone say his acting in Factory was as if he was channeling both Carol Burnett and Michael Jackson at once. Someone else said Marilyn Manson. I hope not, that'll suck to see.

no he was good in it, I liked it, How Wonka was in the Book

:oops:

Edited by dragonwrangler95

Well I just saw Charlie And The Chocolate factory today and I liked it as much as the original one that and the film expanded more on Willy Wonka's Childhood while the 71 version didn't overall it was quite similar in some ways and had a few differences in other places otherwise I give it a 4 1/2 to 5 stars thumbs up.

:rolleyes: :o :) B)

it's different because some of the things in the original movie aren't in the book.

What is in the novel Charlie and the Chocolate Factory:

1. Veruca tries to buy a squirrel, not a Goose

2. Charlie never steals Fizzy Lifting Drinks and never argues with Willy at the end

3. They take an elevator to the TV room, not just walk there

4. Signing the contract and Grandpa Joe's hat being taken off by the hat rack isn't in the book

5. They never have a psychedelic trip with chicken heads being cut off in the book. Instead, it's like the new movie. They even talk about whipped cream in the book.

6. In the book, the Oompa Loompas are NOT Orange with Green Hair! They are Native american red with brown hair (looking more like they do in the new movie)

that's just a few things that the original movie added that weren't in the book. There are only two things that weren't in the book that are on the new movie

1. In the book, Willy Wonka doesn't have a mechanical band with dolls singing. He is introduced just like in the original movie, only without the tumble.

2. Willy's dad isn't in the book.

I don't recall the book saying anything about that one kid (can't remember his name, the one that got shrunk via T.V.) being obsessed with first-person shooter games. :rolleyes:

I saw the movie the other day. I wasn't impressed with Johnny Depp's performance. It was just mediocre.

^ :rolleyes: no, the book was written in the 60's, so it was before video games they just updated it. Mike Teavee, the kid you're talking about, didn't watch cowboy movies either, like what was in the original movie. What he watches in the book is Mafia films. And he has machine guns and shoots at the TV with his fake guns everytime some mobster is killed. I guess they thought it'd be too violent in the original film.

needless to say, I love the new movie. It's been in the top three in the box office for weeks, very happy about that.

Another thing that the new movie has that's in the book is the Oompa Loompa songs, almost taken word for word fromt the book!

^ :o  no, the book was written in the 60's, so it was before video games they just updated it.

347107[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

It was a joke.

I admit I liked it better than I thought I would.

Seems to me the two movies compliment rather than contradict each other; what is missing in one is present in the other. I think a fan would do good to have both versions in their collection.

Of Depps characterization; it looked stupid in the previews but turns out ok in the end with his strange behavior being explained to my satisfaction. Not that I think the character is a good role model or anything; he is still weird but I do understand him better.

Only Deep could have done this one imo.

Only Deep could have done this one imo.

347687[/snapback]

I still would've liked to see Christopher Walken as Wonka. :nono: