Sign in to follow this  
Lollypop

Clean Star Ships

Stardate213458.9

Hopefull Wesly Crusher lol :) .Seriously i figure they have crewman that take care of it.

but what a job I thought that people strived to better themselves but geranimo is right somebody would have to clean at least the carbon scoreing on the outside of the ship after a battle as voyager got into a lot of fights and the next show clean somebody had to do it :) :)

As for the outside of the ship I am sure that falls under the responsibility of the engineering staff. Now the inside I am not as sure about, but I am sure that it falls under the assignments of someone, maybe there are some non-commissioned officers that do the cleaning.

They surely have maintenance crew or something...

You know, to remplace chairs and all after a battle :-)

In "Up The Long Ladder" Riker tells Brenna O'Dell that the ship cleans itself. In "Data's Day" Keiko O'Brien mentioned a cleaning unit for clothes. Dishes and cutlery are all recycled since they are replicated from what I understand.

I found this bit of trivia...

While filming "The Wounded", there was a scene in which Colm Meaney was serving Keiko steak and potatoes for dinner. The potatoes had to get from the spoon to the plate easily, while he continued with the dialogue, moved around, served himself, etc. After about a zillion takes, it finally worked, except that one small piece of potato bounced off the plate and onto the table. So, Colm improvised, and quickly popped it in his mouth. "Cut!" "What was wrong with that?" "Well, you popped that potato in your mouth." "Yeah, so?" "Well, you can't do that -- see, this is a self-cleaning ship." "I got to it FIRST."

I have a question....I watch TNG every night, but I've never noticed if they have carpets down, or not. If not, can someone tell me what is on the floors ?.

While filming "The Wounded", there was a scene in which Colm Meaney was serving Keiko steak and potatoes for dinner. The potatoes had to get from the spoon to the plate easily, while he continued with the dialogue, moved around, served himself, etc. After about a zillion takes, it finally worked, except that one small piece of potato bounced off the plate and onto the table. So, Colm improvised, and quickly popped it in his mouth. "Cut!" "What was wrong with that?" "Well, you popped that potato in your mouth." "Yeah, so?" "Well, you can't do that -- see, this is a self-cleaning ship." "I got to it FIRST."

LMAO! That's great :)

I think the ship is self-cleaning and will not require anyone to clean it manually. How this is accomplished it is never really said and is up to speculation.

I also often wondered how the ship was cleaned. That bit of info was great.

Still...something has to clean it. Maybe little DRD's come out of the wall whenever a spill, explosion, etc. is detected. Of course that would mean there are sensors all in the floors, walls, and ceilings.

As for what's on the flooring, I remember seeing some type of carpeting in the corridors for TNG. TOS-some sort of grey flat flooring, possibly battleship linolium, or more probably painted plywood. (Low budget, ya know.) ENT- again flat grey, probably a cushioned type of marley flooring they now use in gyms and for dance floors. Don't remember about DS9 or VOY.

The Enterprise has a little cleaning lady called Madge. She comes in Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays and cleans for two hours every morning. She can often be seen trundling up one of the corridors with a little cigarette hanging out of the corner of her mouth, muttering about the price of fish.

I like the cleaning lady theory and the self cleaning theory but I'm sure that just like in our military everyone is responsible for the cleanliness of the ship. But then again it is the 24th century and they most likely have a self cleaning ship. I wish I had a self cleaning house now that would be nice.

But then again it is the 24th century and they most likely have a self cleaning ship. I wish I had a self cleaning house now that would be nice.

I would sell my soul for a selfcleaning house! :)

My guess is they'd have little mouse-sized cleaning droids for cleaning up messes, but when there was battle damage and you had thrown about furnature or whatever, the crew would take care of it themself. It's allways been my impression that when there was battle damage or whatever, the crew themselves cleaned up instead of having "janitors" or the mantienance crew do it, know what I mean? They would no longer feel "too good" to clean up. :)

in the wrath of khan, right after the kobayashi maru simulator, kirk and spock walk by a guy vacuuming the floor.

in the wrath of khan, right after the kobayashi maru simulator, kirk and spock walk by a guy vacuuming the floor.

Really, or are you joking. :) :)

Really, or are you joking. :) :)

She's not joking. I have TWOK Director's Edition DVD and during the audio commentary by Nick Meyer he discusses that scene. He says that he told William Shatner to ignore the guy vacuuming because it's something that happens every day, and not to be noticed. But instead, Shatner turns around and looks right at the guy while he and Nimoy are walking past him. Check out the DVD, you'll see it.

This could be a great question for Master Q to add to the Trivia Questions. :)

Really, or are you joking. :laugh: :lol:

She's not joking. I have TWOK Director's Edition DVD and during the audio commentary by Nick Meyer he discusses that scene. He says that he told William Shatner to ignore the guy vacuuming because it's something that happens every day, and not to be noticed. But instead, Shatner turns around and looks right at the guy while he and Nimoy are walking past him. Check out the DVD, you'll see it.

Okay, now I have to watch that again!