Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

New Captain

Should Archer go away and get replaced?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should Archer go away and get replaced?

• Yes - tell him to Quantum leap out of there
    • No - aw no, he's a wee dote!

I think it was a mistake to pick Scott Bakula for the role of Archer. He will always be Sam Becket to me. I think the character is wooden and undistinguished. I would like to see him shuttle out of there and Trip or someone else take over. Captain Kirk: the great grandfather of James T did I hear you say? Arrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

I nulled my vote, I don't like Bakula in the captain's chair, but I think they just need to re-write the character a bit (subtly, not drasticly)

Bakula may not have the flair of other captains but does the job well..changing him would change the whole show and it's still to new for that.

I vote an emphatic NO. Scott is a wonderful actor. I'm thrilled that I get to watch him work in the Star Trek universe.

I like that he doesn't play Archer as the perfect hero. The first human Captain to explore the Universe wouldn't have the assurance and the knowledge of other species that the later Captains have. He has flaws, and he struggles with them, but he also has the seeds of greatness; intelligence, bravery, curiosity, and an almost obsessive sense of responsibilty, and dare I say, love for his crew. He is also now carrying the weight of the world (his words) on his sholders. His trial by fire is at hand.

Jonathan Archer isn't yet the Captain that he will become, but I'm loving the hell out of watching him get there.

I voted: No

I think he's a great captain, and I don't think we have to worry about the actor wanting to leave as all 7 actors enjoy the show greatly!

Some say he's a bad actor or a bad captain. I say since he's the "first Starfleet captain in deep space", he doesn't have a way to follow. They're all experrimenting out there, thus them getting into trouble all the time.

Here's a question: Who's responsible for the rule of Captains not going on away missions? Kirk, because he allways went into hazzardous situations or Archer, becuase he allways got captured by aliens? :dude:

Here's a question: Who's responsible for the rule of Captains not going on away missions?  Kirk, because he allways went into hazzardous situations or Archer, becuase he allways got captured by aliens? :dude: [/glow]

:dude:

My guess: A combination of the two. And the Vulcans breathing down their necks probably :dude:

A definite no. I like Bakula as Captain Archer. Also, Archer is going to have some fire in the third season. The third season is probably going to much like the time DS9 was at war with the Dominion.

Here's a question: Who's responsible for the rule of Captains not going on away missions?  Kirk, because he allways went into hazzardous situations or Archer, becuase he allways got captured by aliens? :dude:

Well..when the federation laid down the main set of rules..which will be sometime during Ent's run, I'm sure that the Captain's rule is laid down so that no injury comes to them..not sure it has to do with Kirk or Archer.

:dude: I love all the star treks, he is just a new face in the Captions chair

I had to null my vote it is just to soon to tell if he is bad or not. I mean I though that Picard was like a dolt when next gen started but now I know I was worng.

I think it was a mistake to pick Scott Bakula for the role of Archer. He will always be Sam Becket to me. I think the character is wooden and undistinguished. I would like to see him shuttle out of there and Trip or someone else take over. Captain Kirk: the great grandfather of James T did I hear you say? Arrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

B) To be honest, when I heard that Scott was going to play the role of a Star Fleet captain, I shook my head..."No way, I said. He just doesn't have the personna of those who have proceeded him." I still feel he doesn't have the personna. And Yet I'm used to Captain Archer's personna now. So I think to change him now would be a mistake. Also, I don't see anyone on the ship that would make a better captain. B)

I think Scott Bakula is a wonderful actor. Give him some time Prometheus. Maybe what you're looking for in a captain will become more apparent with the "new direction" in season 3.

Did a Null Vote, personally I dont care for Archer as a captin, I feel as if they shouldnt of had this show at all. I understand why they did a show before TOS, but they just cannot start de-advancing, when the show was trying to advance more and more per-series. I comprehend it, but it gets on my nerves, I just say photon torpedo the entire seires.

:devil: :blink: :devil: :huh: :devil: B)

On the Second Day, Star Trek said TOS, the Third Day, he said, TNG, the Fourth Day, DS9, Fifth Day, VOY... wait I missed a day, let them have ENT on the Sixth day, which was suppose to be the First. B)

Did a Null Vote, personally I dont care for Archer as a captin, I feel as if they shouldnt of had this show at all. I understand why they did a show before TOS, but they just cannot start de-advancing, when the show was trying to advance more and more per-series. I comprehend it, but it gets on my nerves, I just say photon torpedo the entire seires.

:devil:  B)  :devil: B) :devil:  :blink:

On the Second Day, Star Trek said TOS, the Third Day, he said, TNG, the Fourth Day, DS9, Fifth Day, VOY... wait I missed a day, let them have ENT on the Sixth day, which was suppose to be the First. :huh:

ITS A GREAT SHOW, AND ITS GREAT TO GET AN EARLIER LOOK INTO THE STARTREK UNIVERSE.

that said, i voted NO, i like bakula as archer, their couldnt be another captain as far as im concerned, i liked him in quantum leap i like him now. hes a good actor and i think he should be given the chance to be the captain you all think he should be. besides if janeway made it, archers a million times the captain that she was, i really really really really didnt like her.

I voted no. I could not imagine or accept any other Captain of the NX-01 than Archer. He's not perfect but there has never been a perfect Captain. I have no trouble separating Sam Becket from Jonathan Archer.

Stardate:213441.9

I voted no.Bakula hasnt done as good a job as he did in Quantum Leap yet but remember he has only had two seasons of Star Trek under his belt.Give him time.Im sure that he will prosper into a great captian.

No!

I was worried at first that it was a mistake to cast Scott because he is so well known as Sam Beckett. Then I thought, no problem. He did such a good job in Quantum Leap and people will learn more about Archer as the show develops. I also thought Picard was wooden and not much of a captain when he started. Boy, was I wrong. After seeing the first episode my fears were calmed.

It also took time for me to get used to the feel and look of the show, and the fact that the show was called Enterprise. Now I can see that we all need to stand back and accept that this is the first Enterprise and they are the ones who will set the standards and foundations for the future. Give the actors and the show a chance, it might just grow on you. I'm enjoying it...I have to admit I like all versions of Trek! :waaaa:

I agree thayln. I also voted NO.

Keep Capt. Jonathan Archer (Scott Bakula).

I vote an emphatic NO.  Scott is a wonderful actor.  I'm thrilled that I get to watch him work in the Star Trek universe. 

I like that he doesn't play Archer as the perfect hero.  The first human Captain to explore the Universe wouldn't have the assurance and the knowledge of other species that the later Captains have.  He has flaws, and he struggles with them, but he also has the seeds of greatness; intelligence, bravery, curiosity, and an almost obsessive sense of responsibilty, and dare I say, love for his crew.  He is also now carrying the weight of the world (his words) on his sholders.  His trial by fire is at hand. 

Jonathan Archer isn't yet the Captain that he will become, but I'm loving the hell out of watching him get there.

Scott is a wonderful actor--I think the writers haven't given him enough to really get a feel for his character. I think now we will see some strength and fire in Archer, beginning with the Enterprise's journey into the Expanse. In my opinion, in the previous 2 seasons, Archer had this underlying fear of failing Starfleet, his father, himself. He consequently feared proving Vulcans right and Starfleet being forced to recall him and the Enterprise because of his failures. I think we will see Archer and therefore Starfleet gain more respect from the Vulcans (and probably other species) by traversing the Delphi Expanse to the Xindi homeworld and coming through it relatively unscathed.

Something that will aid in the development of Archer's character (and the other characters as well) is the manner in which he deals with the death of a crew member. We saw a touch of how he dealt with death in Cogenitor, but no member of the crew has been lost thus far. I don't like killing off crewmen (there are only 83, so you can't kill a red shirt/red stripe every week), but death unfortunately is a fact of life in the service.

I would also like to see a bit more humor in Archer. Everyone has some sence of humor whethe it be dry, subtle or warped (pun intended). That too would add some dimension to the character. All the other captains had a sense of humor; Archer needs one too.

I agree thayln.  I also voted NO. 

Keep Capt. Jonathan Archer (Scott Bakula).

I vote an emphatic NO.  Scott is a wonderful actor.  I'm thrilled that I get to watch him work in the Star Trek universe. 

I like that he doesn't play Archer as the perfect hero.  The first human Captain to explore the Universe wouldn't have the assurance and the knowledge of other species that the later Captains have.  He has flaws, and he struggles with them, but he also has the seeds of greatness; intelligence, bravery, curiosity, and an almost obsessive sense of responsibilty, and dare I say, love for his crew.  He is also now carrying the weight of the world (his words) on his sholders.  His trial by fire is at hand. 

Scott is a wonderful actor--I think the writers haven't given him enough to really get a feel for his character. I think now we will see some strength and fire in Archer, beginning with the Enterprise's journey into the Expanse. In my opinion, in the previous 2 seasons, Archer had this underlying fear of failing Starfleet, his father, himself. He consequently feared proving Vulcans right and Starfleet being forced to recall him and the Enterprise because of his failures. I think we will see Archer and therefore Starfleet gain more respect from the Vulcans (and probably other species) by traversing the Delphi Expanse to the Xindi homeworld and coming through it relatively unscathed.

Something that will aid in the development of Archer's character (and the other characters as well) is the manner in which he deals with the death of a crew member. We saw a touch of how he dealt with death in Cogenitor, but no member of the crew has been lost thus far. I don't like killing off crewmen (there are only 83, so you can't kill a red shirt/red stripe every week), but death unfortunately is a fact of life in the service.

I would also like to see a bit more humor in Archer. Everyone has some sence of humor whethe it be dry, subtle or warped (pun intended). That too would add some dimension to the character. All the other captains had a sense of humor; Archer needs one too.

Couldn't agree more.

I think Bakula is great as the captain, and IMO, Trip would get the ship destroyed within a few days if he was promoted to capt...

"No - aw no, he's a wee dote!" I had wanted him to do something Trek for years, when I heard he was going to be a captain on a series, I cheered!