Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Picard's baldness

In Nemesis we see a photograph of Picard at the Academy and he is wearing the old cadet's uniform and is also TOTALLY bald.

However, if you recall the TNG episode where there is a flashback to Jack Crusher's funeral, we see Picard WITH HAIR wearing a Season One uniform.

Also, if you recall the episode Family, i think it was, we see a hologram of Jack Crusher shortly before his death wearing a movie era uniform without an undershirt. Perhaps the uniform was changed to the Season One TNG uniform just after this...

I can only explain the hair as follows: at the Academy, Picard's hair was thinning so he wet shaved it and then grew it back for a while before it all fell out naturally. Which would suggest that Shinzon, as he is about the same age as Picard in the photo, has wet shaved his head and is not yet totally bald.

My guess is that the Nemesis writers simply forgot about the episode "Violations" :P :)

Really, Jean-Luc HAD hair when he was younger. Remember the episode "Tapestry"? We see "Ensign Picard" fighting a Nausicaan (while Q talks to Jean-Luc in that white area) - and he does not seem to "suffer" from baldness at all. :P I find it unlikely that his hair grew back :)

My guess is that the Nemesis writers simply forgot about the episode "Violations"  :P  :)

Really, Jean-Luc HAD hair when he was younger. Remember the episode "Tapestry"? We see "Ensign Picard" fighting a Nausicaan (while Q talks to Jean-Luc in that white area) - and he does not seem to "suffer" from baldness at all.  :P I find it unlikely that his hair grew back  :)

297341[/snapback]

Supposedly the writer for "Nemeses" (John Logan) was a Star Trek fan, He was supposed to know his Star Trek !!!!!!!!! That's probably why the movie did so POORLY . :hug:

Really, Jean-Luc HAD hair when he was younger. Remember the episode "Tapestry"? We see "Ensign Picard" fighting a Nausicaan (while Q talks to Jean-Luc in that white area) - and he does not seem to "suffer" from baldness at all.  :P I find it unlikely that his hair grew back  :P

297341[/snapback]

Supposedly the writer for "Nemeses" (John Logan) was a Star Trek fan, He was supposed to know his Star Trek !!!!!!!!!  That's probably why the movie did so POORLY . :)

297344[/snapback]

The picture of Picard in Nemesis was taken during one of four years at the Academy. The scene in Tapestry is set just after graduation. Come on, how many of you have had more than one hairstyle over a four year period. Maybe he shaved his head as part of an initiation when he first got to the Academy, maybe he thought it would look good on him, who knows. IMO, this is the second biggest non-issue nitpick there is from Nemesis.

Maybe the picture of him as a cadet with no hair was really a joke... like someone dared him to do it. Then he grew it back. Then his fight with the Nausicaans made him go bald? (If I had just graduated from the academy and then had to get a new heart, I'd probably go bald too.) Then sometime later he decided to wear a really bad (Shatner-style :P ) toupe!

Edited by wishfire

But if he really was bald at the Academy, then why does Boothby ask him "What happened to your hair?" when he sees him in "The First Duty"? :) I mean, Boothby knew him very well back in those academy days. :P

(and I agree, this is nitpicking, but nitpicking is fun :P )

Supposedly the writer for "Nemeses" (John Logan) was a Star Trek fan, He was supposed to know his Star Trek !!!!!!!!!  That's probably why the movie did so POORLY . :P

297344[/snapback]

Using a bald Tom Hardy to pose for that picture would have nothing to do with John Logan. This is what the script said:

Picard is sitting at his desk, flipping through an old photo album. He stops and stares at one of the pictures deeply troubled. We finally see the photo: Young Jean Luc Picard. A serious, unsmiling cadet at Starfleet Academy. The face before him bears a disturbing resemblance to Shinzon.

The photo in the movie isn't even as described in the shooting script.

But if he really was bald at the Academy, then why does Boothby ask him "What happened to your hair?" when he sees him in "The First Duty"?  :) I mean, Boothby knew him very well back in those academy days.  :)

(and I agree, this is nitpicking, but nitpicking is fun  :P )

297424[/snapback]

Nitpicking can be fun until you have people put all the nitpicks together to trash a movie/series or person. There can be lots of errors or things to nitpick about in other movies and series but only Trek fans seem to use these nitpicks to destroy any possible enjoyment they can have of it.

If Picard only shaved his head for a short period of time before he really knew Boothby that would explain Boothby's remark.

Aside from Troi and Riker getting married and moving to the Titan, I generally ignore everything in NEM.

Most of it goes into the same catagory as "The-Enterprise-Travels-To-The-Centre-Of-The-Galaxy" catagory which is best ignored by future Trek writers.

The kind of stuff that doesn't really fit with the rest of Trek.

Well, Picard was a marathon runner in the academy. I suppose it is possible that he shaved his head for aerodynamic reasons. That's the explanation I use.

OK... just to tell you all when you are in command people a 1/3 your age, having to keep a Klingon in check, teaching a little punk, and helping an android "find himself" you would loss your hair to!

OK... just to tell you all when you are in command people a 1/3 your age, having to keep a Klingon in check, teaching a little punk, and helping an android "find himself" you would loss your hair to!

297497[/snapback]

Considering that he was bald from the very beginning of the series, I guess that just the prospect of all that caused instant baldness...

Admiral Soandso: Captain Picard, here's you new assignment.

Captain Picard (reading over his orders): Oh, dear God...

Admiral Soandso: It's a difficult task Captain, but... Captain, is it me, or didn't you have hair when you walked into the office?

Captain Picard: Yes, Admiral? Why? (Looks at the floor around his feet) Oh, $%#@^&@!

Edited by wishfire

Whats WRONG with you people! :o

Don't you REMEMBER! :(

Jean-luc Picard...you know "Captain Coif", the best head of hair in the fleet! :laugh:

Oh, no... :lol: I must have been isolated from the changes in the time line! :P

Those dastardly agents of the temporal cold war! :)

How many more victims before it stops!!

Fuuuttuuurrree Guuuyyyy!!! :lol: :jaw::spock:

post-1734-1106414574.jpg

Maybe it was just a nod to Patrick Stewart himself, he did lose his hair when he was 20 afterall.

Considering that he was bald from the very beginning of the series, I guess that just the prospect of all that caused instant baldness...

Admiral Soandso: It's a difficult task Captain, but... Captain, is it me, or didn't you have hair when you walked into the office?

Captain Picard: Yes, Admiral? Why? (Looks at the floor around his feet) Oh, $%#@^&@!

297647[/snapback]

LMAO! :laugh: Ok that's almost enough to make me change my mood to amused. :spock:

Maybe he just got a bad hair cut and shaved it off because his beautiful hair couldn't be saved.

Meh, I like Wishfire's theory better.

:spock: Maybe Picard isn't fully human, maybe there is a Deltan in the gene pool somewhere and our Dear Picard would wear a wig for and occasion or two like some people would wear a hat.

Well, no matter whether he had hair as a young man or not, he looks good the way he is 'now.'

Here is what happened...

(time warp to right after Picard got his new heart)

Picard:"Who are you?"

Q:"A friend and I want to show you your future."

(Shows Picard him on the Enterprise teaching a little punk, keeping a Klingon in check, helping an android "find himself", the women he use to love is his doctor, has a blind engiener, and has a 1st office and counusler that can't make up their minds)

Picard screams and wakes up and he has now hair.

:look: OMG! That was a scream, wishfire!

I had always kind of thought that maybe he either lost it while in the Academy(his HAIR, that is LOL) or he decided to shave his hair off for a time.

And yeah, I can understand the changing the hair over the course of 4 years. In my case it naturally darkened a little bit, I dyed it a couple times as well (once to make my hair match the shade that was growing in, and the other I had tried to have my hair be a shade of auburn....and unfortunately it became purple :blush 2: :laugh: )...not to mention the hairstyles I had during plays & skits at school *laughs at the thought of the flourescent orange 'do I had for Homecoming skits*)

Maybe Picard went bald in a rather weird way, and has nothing but relief when he saw Shinzon...

Click For Spoiler
Image6.jpg

I always thought that Shinzon shaved his head to fit more in Reman society. :bow:

I always thought that Shinzon shaved his head to fit more in Reman society.  :bow:

302240[/snapback]

Hadn't thought of that. It's also possible that he shaved his head to make his meeting with Picard an even more unsettling experience for the captain. They certainly would know what Picard looked like at that time.

I had my head wet shaved for a couple of months last year about this time. It grew back in about 2 months. So theoretically, Picard could have done that. And he could have just worn an old style shirt before they switched it over. But realistically, I think they just messed up with the styling and the script. Just like they overlooked a lot of other things in Nemesis. :waaaa:

this has always bothered me with Nemesis, but i think maybe he had to do it as a member of a frat or someting

In Nemesis we see a photograph of Picard at the Academy and he is wearing the old cadet's uniform and is also TOTALLY bald.

However, if you recall the TNG episode where there is a flashback to Jack Crusher's funeral, we see Picard WITH HAIR wearing a Season One uniform.

Also, if you recall the episode Family, i think it was, we see a hologram of Jack Crusher shortly before his death wearing a movie era uniform without an undershirt. Perhaps the uniform was changed to the Season One TNG uniform just after this...

I can only explain the hair as follows: at the Academy, Picard's hair was thinning so he wet shaved it and then grew it back for a while before it all fell out naturally. Which would suggest that Shinzon, as he is about the same age as Picard in the photo, has wet shaved his head and is not yet totally bald.

297286[/snapback]

In the 29th-31st Centurys, I bet they had ways to make hair grow back.

Is the actor really bald? If so, he probably just didn't want a wig. the young picard probably just had a shaved head to make it clearer that it was picard.

Most likely he was wearing a wig :blush:

297302[/snapback]

Maybe, but probably just some technology that regrows hair follicles.

My guess is that the Nemesis writers simply forgot about the episode "Violations"  :blush:  :huh:

Really, Jean-Luc HAD hair when he was younger. Remember the episode "Tapestry"? We see "Ensign Picard" fighting a Nausicaan (while Q talks to Jean-Luc in that white area) - and he does not seem to "suffer" from baldness at all.  :angry: I find it unlikely that his hair grew back  :cheers:

297341[/snapback]

yeah, the young actor had hair....but they needed to make the young picard look like the old picard...they wanted it to be obvious.

The picture of Picard in Nemesis was taken during one of four years at the Academy. The scene in Tapestry is set just after graduation. Come on, how many of you have had more than one hairstyle over a four year period. Maybe he shaved his head as part of an initiation when he first got to the Academy, maybe he thought it would look good on him, who knows. IMO, this is the second biggest non-issue nitpick there is from Nemesis.

297376[/snapback]

What is the first biggest non-issue nitpick there is from Nemesis?

297376[/snapback]

What is the first biggest non-issue nitpick there is from Nemesis?

308770[/snapback]

At the message boards at st.com someone actually posted that Nemesis was terrible because Data's sideburns were wrong - they claimed they were square throughout the movie. They weren't btw. They only became square when Data impersonated B4 because B4's sideburns were square.