Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

What qualities do you respect?

I know we've had threads before about who you respect and why and there were some very good responses. Most of us at some point struggle with balancing who we are or who we want to be with what may be expected of us. We live in world that can be very superficial and materialistic (at least in the US - that's what I'm familiar with) and that can influence what we believe is important.

So what makes you respect someone?

Above a lot of other qualities.. the ones that stick out most for me: honesty, kindness, gentleness and intellegence. These go a long way into helping me gain a respect for someone and view them as a friend..

Edited by Yillara_Soong

Above a lot of other qualities.. the ones that stick out most for me: honesty, kindness, gentleness and intellegence. These go a long way into helping me gain a respect for someone and view them as a friend..

295578[/snapback]

Its the same for me. Being in the Navy good and long lasting friendships are hard to come by. I don't like when people lie to my just get something out of me.

A quality I really respect is open-mindedness. Being a vegetarian, I take a lot of crap from people. None of my friends hassle me for my beliefs, and they support me immensely.

I respect intelligence and the nerve to stand up for what one believes in, no matter what anyone else says. People who mindlessly follow the crowd are one of my biggest pet peeves.

As I respond to your question, I am struggling with what order to put these in........... because they all play such a big part in the qualities I look for in the people I developed close relationships with. I will start with sincerity. Superficiality is everywhere. I look for people who are sincere. Next I will speak to respect and open mindedness. I look closely at how respectful people are in their treatment of others, and how open minded they can be regarding others who are different from themselves. Honesty and dependability are also a must. If I cannot trust a person, and if they are only around when everything is going right, I don't need them in my life

These are important to me..open-mindedness,Honesty,kindness...but i am a bit hard on ppl when i comes to breaking my trust or being lied to i cant stand that.

A loving nature, unselfishness, and the ability to forgive are most important. Integrity is important, but I find that people fail a lot, and need to be given a second chance over and over again. Patience and perservernce and a hard-working nature are other attributes I look for.

I respect intelligence and the nerve to stand up for what one believes in, no matter what anyone else says. People who mindlessly follow the crowd are one of my biggest pet peeves.

295682[/snapback]

Lol, that sounds just like me, although people often make it clear that they don't want me to stand up for what I believe in :waaaa:

295682[/snapback]

I agree that standing up for what you believe is a very important trait. I'd like to add that being able to admit a mistake is just as important to me. There is a difference between standing up for what you believe and being stubborn.*

I also include many of the traits already listed as what leads me to respect a person.

*And no, that is not a reference to any political leader, it's a trait on my list.

HONESTY - i think honesty can lead to any and every other virtue, for whose heart isn't led to kindness, empathy, and charity when one doesn't lie to one's self? Honesty - can be the hardest thing to think of doing, but once you start, you never look back...

and, yes - even 'bout that nickel at the corner store... :waaaa:

hmmm, as someone above said, a lot of the things listed are important to me as well but there are a few more.

Being nonjudgemental/non critical ; allowing for human failings or differences of opinion. We all make mistakes, plus we all have our own ideas of what a *mistake* is, and it doesn't always match up. That's called *life* and it IS a journey with many roads viewed from many perspectives.

Compassion- I respect people who acknowledge that you are doing your best and give you credit for being the person that you are; even if that person isn't who they want you to be.

Strength- I respect strength; We all fall... but it's the person that gets up, dusts himself off, and refocuses that is admirable.

Intelligence- I respect it, but it isn't enough in an of itself. It is merely a foundation; plus, it is relative :waaaa:

**as I re-read the above posts, I see that most of us are saying the same thing; just in different ways; as Spock would say "fascinating" B)***

Heron

Edited by Heron

Honour and loyalty.

295939[/snapback]

- - - -

Honor and loyalty; those are rough ones ; because, whether they apply tends to depend upon the one looking on and sometimes it is wholly inaccurate.

When JTK and crew stole the ship inorder to bring McCoy to Vulcan and enable him to bring life back to Spock; it was seen by those looking on as disloyalty to the Federation; there was no *honor* seen by those looking on. Sometimes, honor isn't something that the world looks on at; sometimes it has to remain cloaked inorder to accomplish .

And *blind* loyalty is a scary thing. Members of the Third Reich were seen as loyal and honorable to those who thought that behavior was right at the time. Honor and loyalty are surely from the onlooker's perspective and can be ever so wrong.

The two are so relative and I suppose that it sounds like I'm splitting hairs ; sorry about that! Honor is honor and loyalty is loyalty. It's when someone tries to determine whether someone else possesses them ,or does not, that the complicated nature of the words are evident.

;)

Heron

**as I re-read the above posts, I see that most of us are saying the same thing; just in different ways; as Spock would say "fascinating"  :clap:***

That is true.. or as Data might say, it is "Intriguing"

So what makes you respect someone?

295575[/snapback]

I'd have to say that I respect people who do whhat the say they'll do.

I also respect people who stand up for others who cannot stand up for themselves.

I respect anyone who can take an adverse situation and make the best of it. And, like wishfire said, I respect people who stand up for those who can't stand up for themselves. Loyalty to friends and family, Honor, and the list goes on.