Sign in to follow this  
jdigs

What if?

With all respect to Gene Roddenberry and his vision and genius...If you had the opportunity to have created Star Trek how would you have made it different? If there is one thing I've learnt about this message board besides the insane friendliness is the huge range of imagination. So let's have at it.

With all respect to Gene Roddenberry and his vision and genius...If you had the opportunity to have created Star Trek how would you have made it different? If there is one thing I've learnt about this message board besides the insane friendliness is the huge range of imagination. So let's have at it.

There is not much that I would have changed. The only thing that I would have done was to establish a way of insuring continuity with cannon, by tracking infomation that had been established in previous episodes..

I would have started with the "ENT" idea, the first "mission" into deep space, giving a beginning, instead of just this Starfleet ship that's allready on it's mission with everything established.

I'd also have no focus on sexuallity, more focus on explorration and technology, more stories about explorration from aliens, to other ways of life, to the completely unkown.

Other than that, I'd do about the same as they have. :andorian:

If i had created star trek.....you can bet there would be more hot women on motor cycles :andorian::martok::theking:

There were a few things I didn't like, but not many. I probably would've kept most things the same. Of course if I had a say in it Riker's shirt would've come off a lot more often! Nudge%20Nudge.gif

There were a few things I didn't like, but not many. I probably would've kept most things the same. Of course if I had a say in it Riker's shirt would've come off a lot more often! Nudge%20Nudge.gif

I like your general idea but would not voted for Riker's shirt coming off, now Troi maybe....Maybe a genuine Betazoid wedding....Now that would have been nice.

I would have started with the "ENT" idea, the first "mission" into deep space, giving a beginning, instead of just this Starfleet ship that's allready on it's mission with everything established.

I would also choose to begin with the first series, and follow the timeline from there and that way avoid all the problems for example Enterprise is having now. It would also be preferable since the special effects and other features improve all the time, and so the later ships would look more advanced in that way too..

I always feel a bit strange thinking that the TOS Enterprise was more advanced then the NX-01..

I would also choose to begin with the first series, and follow the timeline from there and that way avoid all the problems for example Enterprise is having now. It would also be preferable since the special effects and other features improve all the time, and so the later ships would look more advanced in that way too..

I always feel a bit strange thinking that the TOS Enterprise was more advanced then the NX-01..

When Gene Roddenberry created the show, I don't think that he could have ever dreamed that it would end up where it is today. I feel that he probably had not dreamed that there would ever be a series that took place before TOS. And it cannot always be foreseen as to whether a show will last long enough for any of these thoughts to come up.

I would definitly go with a time ship of sorts and have them try and repair all the problems caused by the star ships

- or -

Introduce a cargo ship that somehow keeps getting into problems w/ baddies.

Probably I wouldn't change a lot but I would want to even out the amount of main episodes each character had/has..

there really isnt much i would change at all. maybe some of what was corny about tng, or some in voy, but thats it. as far as TOS, and ENT, its wholly beleiveable that the NX01 is older. look past the obvious better special effects, and you see the talking computer in tos, automatic doors, just more things that are advanced, and better. its just the better effects your looking at that you have a problem with, sometime if you look reallly close at the ENT bridge, you really go, "WHOA" yeah thats older. i think they did a great job making it look to be less advanced than the NCC-1701. :)

i've seen the effect used in "Voyager" a couple of times, and i would rely more heavily on computer generated aliens - it would require more from the actors and editors, but i think that would lend an air of 'reality' to the show(s), rather than relying on the progenitors storyline and the ever-changing head gear relied on these days - 'jarjarbinks' really worked (yes, irritating) for star wars, ya know? - also, when we 'meet' an alien culture for the first time, why are they almost always wearing variations on the same outfit? - i'm sure viewers would be able to handle normal differentiations in dress in a species, come on! - not everyone dresses like starfleet, ya know ...

Well I have some issues on Gene’s vision of Earth as a Utopia. I do think that it is possible that we can get to a status like that (but I think if we do get to that level it will take a lot longer then ST’s timeline), but some of his personal views of this “utopia” I don’t think are good or correct. One of the issues that I have talked about several times on several different message boards was on a barter system. (When I have more time I’ll probably post a topic on that because it encompasses a large area of discussion)

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I would make it less sexist. No catsuits. I would make both male and female characters equally competent and equally interesting.

I would also include more married couples. I read this is something NASA has considered in long range planning for extended space flights - makes sense; five years could be a long time otherwise. I think most ST characters have been single for the ratings - not for realism.

I would include more science.

For the Star Trek version of Utopia and the exploring social issues aspects of Star Trek - I think the show leaps from SciFi to fantasy in some of its conclusions; such as being able to survive without money. Ever wonder how they pay for those Raisa vacations? I would also acknowledge that many humans are religious - and not expect faith to disappear in a couple of centuries.

The key to making it successful would be powerfully written scripts and compelling stories. I think Law and Order has shown how that is done.

If i had created star trek.....you can bet there would be more hot women on motor cycles :huh:  :bow:  :bow:

:bow::bow: This I would like to see. :bow: :)

In outer space.

Hey you never know, it could have been a new race..bet motorcycles would look pretty cool after being turned into space-cycles.

We once went to a Trek Movie Marathon named Sit Long and Prosper, at the event there was a biker present with a cycle modified to appear as the 1701. :bow:

Well I also would get rid of catsuits and things to that nature. Sex is fine on TV and on ST if it is done correctly, but things like a catsuit do nothing for the show. Of course to there’s lots of minor issues, but considering that they are minor I won’t mention them.

Master Q

I would have to say more space battles. Not make the show all about war, or have Starfleet become an all-out destruction machine, but a few more quantam torpedoes and some tri-cobalt devices would add a little more flair to the series, IMHO

I would have to say more space battles. Not make the show all about war, or have Starfleet become an all-out destruction machine, but a few more quantam torpedoes and some tri-cobalt devices would add a little more flair to the series, IMHO

Not necessarily

ST is a pretty intelligent and intellectual show. For any show the heartof it are the stories and just to throw in these “extra” fireworks does not necessarily make it better. I have seen many movies that only focus on the fireworks and don’t look that much at the story. These kinds of movies (or TV shows) are not that great (there of course are a few exceptions).

Master Q