Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

I'm planning on quitting smoking...

Okay, currently, I smoke between a pack to a pack and a half of Marlboro Reds (Full flavor cigarettes) I've divised a four step plan to quit.

S

• [step 1]Switch from Full Flavor to Lights
    [step 2]Switch from lights to Ultra Lights
    [step 3]Step down number of cigarettes a day (in step with switching the lights/ultralights)
    [step 4]put em down and walk away

my reasoning: Patches work the same way, gradually stepping down the amount of nicotine you intake. and I don't like TDP systems anyways. Also, I really can't chew gum at work, so this is preferable. (I can take 5 to go out on the smoke break for a cigarette)

Believe it or not I was able to quit cold turkey.

I still smoke, I just don't eat cold turkey anymore. :congrats:

OK, seriously now, anyone who says it is easy to quit smoking doesn't know what the heck they are talking about. It is hard. I tried to quit once when I was working at a 7-Eleven. Bad idea. When I was behind the counter I was literally surrounded by cigarettes, and every 5 minutes someone would buy a pack.

Switching from regulars to lights to unltra-lights won't help. Chances are they'll make you crave cigarettes even more. I know. The first time I tried to quit smoking that's exactly what I tried.

Here's a suggestion... Figure out how often how smoke. Then, if you smoke every 2 hours, set a timer to go off every (for instance) 4 hours. Until the timer goes off do not allow yourself to smoke! Then, eventually, when 4 hours go by and you're like "Has it already been 4 hours?" you can change the timer to say every 6 hours. And just gradually spread them out until you smoke so little that there's no reason to buy packs, because if you do buy one it'll go stale before you finish it! That's what I'm trying. I used to smoke Marlboro red 100's, but I switch to Marlboro blend 27. Mainly because the 100's have started to hurt my throat.

No matter how you try to quit, good luck!

This is GOOD Jim that your even considering quitting. This is something you CAN'T be talked into. I'm trying to get to that point myself. I know I should quit too. It's a disgusting, expensive habit. I hate the fact that I smoke. :clap::congrats: It stains your teeth, makes you smell bad, offends alot of people who have to be around you, the smell gets into everything, your car, your clothes, it just really STINKS :kwasny: :wow:

I hate the fact that I smoke and wished I never started. I have been thinking about quitting myself. I even got the patch prescription from my doctor, it's sitting right here in my desk drawer. BUT if I quit, I know I'll have to go Cold Turkey. If I cut down gradually, which I have tried before, "I'M STILL SMOKING" and driving myself crazy :hug:

I'm not at that point yet to make the commitment to quit.

I am 'COMMITMENTPHOBIC' :o :wow: I'll get there eventually, I hope. But I was hesitant to start a thread about it. I have heard ALL the arguements against it but at this point I just LOVE to smoke. Everytime I have a cigarette it's like it's the first one. :congrats: I'm glad you started this thread. I need to talk about this.

Good luck Jim.. I think it's great that you want to quit..Yeah, don't let anybody tell you it's easy to quit because it isn't.. It really is something that you have to want yourself..Nobody can tell you to do it..I'm an ex-smoker..I had to try a couple of times before I was successful... I'm so happy I was finally able to do it..You can too..I wish you the best with it.. :congrats:

Patches made me start again!

283469[/snapback]

Bill Engvall had a good line about that, if I can remember it correctly.

"I'm trying to quit. I've tried everything. I tried the patch, but it tore the skin off my lips, I tried the gum, couldn't keep it lit..."

LOL, i know of a similar joke on TV's 'Two pints of Lager and a packet of crisps'

Best of luck :assimilated:

Good luck! Before you start on your course of quiting go to prevent and get some advise. I think they know how to help you quit smoking or talk to your doctor.

Edited by Odie

Okay, currently, I smoke between a pack to a pack and a half of Marlboro Reds (Full flavor cigarettes) I've divised a four step plan to quit.

S

• [step 1]Switch from Full Flavor to Lights

[step 2]Switch from lights to Ultra Lights

[step 3]Step down number of cigarettes a day (in step with switching the lights/ultralights)

[step 4]put em down and walk away

Best of luck to you Jim.

If only my father would be able to complete these steps he would be doing good. He can make it sort of to step two, then gives up and goes back to smoking...he has been doing that since before I was born according to my mother.

He has smoked since he was a teen and says that it is vertually impossible to break the habit. My mom disagrees, since she smoked for a short while when she was much younger...and quit cold turkey, and has not smoked ever since.

My siblings, brother-in law and I do not smoke at all, and never had planned on it. We all actually have allergies to the smoke(well the three of us siblings anyhow...).

So I hope that you make it to step 4, and once again best of luck!

I dont smoke during the day but would smoke Marlboro Lights when i'm drinking. The two seem to go together. Therefore my smoking pattern is very irregular and what I smoke in a week depends on if I have been going out much. I hope that a smoking ban in bars will be imposed here which will reduce my smoking considerably. When I was in Canada, I smoked like a train in Montreal but nearly not at all in Ottawa.

I think that you are doing a good thing by quitting. Though I think if you really want to the short sharp pl=unge is best. Just cut them out completely.

If you switch to light you may smoke double the amount as you will feel less guility each time and wont get enough Nicoteen.

Taking less to work will just mean you will ask other people for one which will make you feel bad.

It seems to mean that it is not so much the actual Nicoteen you like but the actual physical habit of holding a cigarette and going out on smoke breaks. Am I right? I know for me it is comforting.

Cigarettes are deadly. There's no mistaking it. But then often we are ignorant to the damage we cannot see...

Good luck Jim. Dont beat yourself up any time you fall off the wagon, and don't feel deprived every time you dont have a cigarette - consider yourself one less cigarette healthier! And cravings only last three minutes....

Good Luck Jim on ur smoking program hope it works out and is successfull in stop quitting smoking.

just glad i never started have enough health problems without adding that to my list.

:blink: :P :assimilated: :unsure:

Another thing I remembered (at least, this is the way it was some time ago)... If you look at a pack of Marlboro Lights, it says reduced tar, not nicotine. They all have the same nicotine. So switching won't really help.

I did some research into it. Ya know what the difference between a Full Flavor, Light, and Ultra Light is? Light and Ultra Lights have tiny holes punched into the filters, so more smoke escapes without getting to your lungs.

I have noticed that on many brands of light cigarettes. Parliament Lights have the most prominent holes (in my experience). But the problem with that though is that the holes are often placed where many people place there lips, so the smoke not only doen not escape, the nicotine in that smoke is absorbed through the lips. For the holes to work properly, the holes should be just below the filter.

Good luck Jim, I hope you're successful.

One thing though, I thought there were new medical treatments (not the patch) that could help you through it. I could be wrong because it's not a topic I follow but I have a co-worker who talks about wanting to quit.

I did some research into it. Ya know what the difference between a Full Flavor, Light, and Ultra Light is? Light and Ultra Lights have tiny holes punched into the filters, so more smoke escapes without getting to your lungs.

283945[/snapback]

The holes aren't there to allow smoke to escape they're to allow more air in thus cutting the amount of smoke inhaled in each puff. Good luck anyway.

GOOD LUCK!!!

BTW generally the average smoker spends 1-3% of their annual income on cigarettes. I think that incentive is plenty enough.