Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~ Daylight Savings Time ~

Daylight time begins in the United States on the first Sunday in April and ends on the last Sunday in October. On the first Sunday in April, clocks are set ahead one hour at 2:00 a.m. local standard time, which becomes 3:00 a.m. local daylight time. On the last Sunday in October, clocks are set back one hour at 2:00 a.m. local daylight time, which becomes 1:00 a.m. local standard time.

Not all places in the U.S. observe daylight time. In particular, Arizona, Hawaii, and most of Indiana do not use it.

In 2003, daylight time begins on April 6 and ends on October 26.

In 2004, daylight time begins on April 4 and ends on October 31.

In 2005, daylight time begins on April 3 and ends on October 30.

Many other countries observe some form of "summer time", but they do not necessarily change their clocks on the same dates as the U.S.

Daylight savings time so confused me yesterday. I went to a show that was supposed to start at 9. When we got there, the clock said 9. We were an hour early. Grr...

Japan doesn't change the clock to daylight savings or summer time. :flex:

I live in Queensland, Australia. Whilst most of Australia observes daylight saving the state of Queensland does not.

...and thats the way I like it, I see no need for daylight saving anywhere.

I live in Queensland, Australia. Whilst most of Australia observes daylight saving the state of Queensland does not.

...and thats the way I like it, I see no need for daylight saving anywhere.

277335[/snapback]

Yeah, it would be completely less confusing without it.

Like most government programs it is a wealth transfer. It takes an hour of daylight away from the morning and gives it to the evening.

There is some theory that is saves money but I don't buy it. All it does is give us an extra hour of daylight during the hottest part of the day. Anyone that has ever had the pleasure of being in Florida in July knows the only sane place to be at 5:00 is in a building with the A/C cranked. What we really need is that hour of daylight in the morning to water our lawns, walk or jog, weed the garden etc. But by the time it gets light we need to be off to work - so we have to risk heat stroke and do everything in the evening. I do not like DST.

I think it should be the other way around. Instead of "Spring forward, Fall back" it should be "Spring back, Fall forward." I'd rather have an extra hour of daylight in the winter and an extra hour of night during the summer.

I think it should be the other way around. Instead of "Spring forward, Fall back" it should be "Spring back, Fall forward." I'd rather have an extra hour of daylight in the winter and an extra hour of night during the summer.

278604[/snapback]

Hmm, :o That does make more sense, doesn't it? :yes: I vote for that. :rolleyes:

278604[/snapback]

Hmm, :o That does make more sense, doesn't it? :yes: I vote for that. :rolleyes:

278640[/snapback]

:o

I don't know about the US but here in Australia national companies based in states that don't use daylight savings always lose money during the summer. It's because there put "Out of Sync" with the rest of the country.

I vote that we remove daylight saving for good.

I was in England last week, and they changed clocks the same day we did. I'm not sure if it covers the whole island or not, but that's my $.02 worth.

I'm up by the time the sun is in the winter anyway, so it's immaterial to me...

once we spring ahead in 2005 i say we just leave the clocks where they are. i think changing the clocks around twice a year, especially when all states dont do it, is the STUPIDIST THING EVER. IMHO anyway.

once we spring ahead in 2005 i say we just leave the clocks where they are. i think changing the clocks around twice a year, especially when all states dont do it, is the STUPIDIST THING EVER. IMHO anyway.

280694[/snapback]

Noooooo, we're on normal time now. To do as you suggest would rob some of us of that hour of daylight permanently. I say dont' change it in April. - besides then we'd be permanently ahead of the rest of the states.

Noooooo, we're on normal time now.  To do as you suggest would rob some of us of that hour of daylight permanently.  I say dont' change it in April. - besides then we'd be permanently ahead of the rest of the states.

280721[/snapback]

:sly: I like this idea. :P

The original idea of daylight savings time comes from when we were all more agricultural oriented. The idea was to give farmers that extra hour of daylight to continue working in the fields longer and produce more. An idea that is now now pretty outmoded but now so ingrained in the U.S. that trying to do away with it would meet with extreme resistance. Alot of people like the idea of the sun still being up or even fairly bright at 9:00 pm. My problem with it is that somehow the starting and end times of DST used to be the last weekend in April and the first weekend in October. I somehow missed the memo that changed the weekends. I even remember back in 1974 when Congress authorized DST to begin in March of that year because of the oil shortage and embargoes. Going to school when the sun still wasn't going to rise for another two hours really bother me and alot of parents complained and protested because elementary school kids had to stand and wait for their bus in complete darkness. Congress rescinded that idea before the summer was out because of the complaints. I personally like it but it really wouldn't bother me if it was eventually abolished. I would prefer though, to return to the original start and end weekends. Right now, the last weekend in October is just too late. I hate getting up in the dark. I've always believed that mankind was not meant to rise before the sun.