Sign in to follow this  
Klingonmike

VSS Enterprise

British mogul Richard Branson announced monday that his Virgin Group plans to offer commercial space flights by 2007 through a new service called Virgin Galatic, and envisions taking up 3,000 travelers in the first 5 years. Branson has made a deal to license technology from Mojave Aerospace Adventures, a firm owned by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen. Contruction of the first ship, the VSS Enterprise is set to begin contuction next year readying the flights by 2007. A trip will cost $208,000 for a two-three hour flight, including three days of training. The Vigin Group includes Virgin Records, Virgin Mobile Phone network, and several airlines including Virgin Atlantic.

So save all your money now folks, we just might get a chance to go into space in our lifetime!!! And I think its cool that the first commercial spacecraft will be named Enterprise!

Ok, i don't know where you got your info but it needs some correcting.

The flights will last 2-3 minutes, not 2-3 hours.

And another thing (not a correction, just a pondering), could VSS stand for Virgin Space Ship?

I got my information from from CNN and 3 other news sources at the radio station I work at. And I'm correct at 2-3 hours. They all confirm that.

As for the VSS, thats what I was thinking as well.

I got this from BBC news:

Last Updated: Monday, 27 September, 2004, 08:38 GMT 09:38 UK

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Virgin boss in space tourism bid

The deal will see a bigger version of SpaceShipOne being developed

Virgin boss Sir Richard Branson has signed a £14m agreement which will see his company take passengers into space.

The British entrepreneur is having five "spaceliners" built in the US by the team behind the SpaceShipOne vehicle.

The California-based rocket plane became the first privately developed carrier to go above 100km in June.

Sir Richard says it will cost around £100,000 to go on a "Virgin Galactic" spaceliner, and the first flights should begin in about three years' time.

If it is a success, we want to move into orbital flights and then, possibly, even get a hotel up there

Sir Richard Branson

Sir Richard revealed his new venture at a briefing held on Monday at the Royal Aeronautical Society in London.

"We've done quite a lot of research; we think there are about 3,000 people out there who would want to do this," Sir Richard told the BBC.

"If it is a success, we want to move into orbital flights and then, possibly, even get a hotel up there."

'Historic' step

The deal is with Mojave Aerospace Ventures, the company set up by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen and aviation pioneer Burt Rutan to exploit the technology developed for SpaceShipOne.

HAVE YOUR SAY

Had I the money I'd certainly go!

David, Stockholm, Sweden

Send us your comments

SpaceShipOne is one of more than 20 craft vying for the $10m (£5.7m) Ansari X-Prize, which rewards the first team to send a non-government, three-person craft over 100km (62 miles) into space, and repeat the feat in the same carrier inside two weeks.

The Virgin boss was flanked at Monday's announcement by Rutan, who has already collaborated with Sir Richard on Virgin GlobalFlyer, a jet plane designed to fly non-stop around the world without refuelling.

THE VIRGIN SPACESHIP

The vehicle will have room for five passengers

A week's pre-flight training will be required

Three-hour trip; three minutes of weightlessness

Flights to leave from Mojave Desert, initially

Tickets to cost about £100,000, perhaps less

"Virgin has been in talks with Paul Allen and Burt throughout this year and in the early hours of Saturday morning signed a historic deal to license SpaceShipOne's technology to build the world's first private spaceship to go into commercial operating service," said Sir Richard, who founded the Virgin Group of companies.

Commentators said it was a logical next step for someone to come in and move the SpaceShipOne technology into the commercial flight business.

David Ashford, director of UK-based Bristol Spaceplanes Limited, another X-Prize contender, said space was finally being opened up for ordinary people.

"The price will come down - there's no doubt about that," he told BBC News Online.

"The X-Prize has succeeded in doing what it set out to do. The original idea was to break the mould of thinking - to break Nasa's monopoly on space policy. Space tourism should have happened many years ago."

Design, build and testing

The deal with Mojave Aerospace Ventures allows Sir Richard to use the SpaceShipOne technology. He will now have five bigger versions of the current vehicle built. The Virgin SpaceShip (VSS) will carry five passengers compared with the two-passenger capacity offered by SpaceShipOne.

The final design for the maiden ship, the VSS Enterprise, should be signed off in 2005.

Branson and Rutan are involved with Steve Fossett in the Virgin GlobalFlyer project

The vehicle will then have to be built and tested before beginning a scheduled space service.

"Every passenger will have a spectacular view; they will have considerable windows and luxurious seats," Sir Richard said.

"Initially, they will take off from the Mojave Desert near Los Angeles. It will be a three-hour journey. Passengers would have about a week's training prior to taking off."

The Virgin Group has interests in a range of businesses, including trains, finance, soft drinks, music, mobile phones, holidays, and cars.

Globally, Sir Richard is probably best known for his Virgin Atlantic airline and for his speedboat and ballooning adventures.

He said many of the group's existing pilots would be in line to take the controls of a VSS vehicle after the necessary training.

Edited by Klingonmike

I won't be able to afford it but I'll get a picture of it off the Internet and put in all my wall to go with all of the other Enterprise's I have.

If this works do you think any other Enterprise we see in any future Star Trek series will have a picture or model of it somewhere, like in the Ready Room or Briefing Room?

I remember seeing that on Space news about the very expensive Flight into space i'd rather wait till it becomes more cheaper to fly into space (in my next Lifetime)hopefully but glad its named Enterprise though.

:P :) :( :)

Wait till my brother perfects his Matter/Antimatter impulse engine...it'll be ALOT cheeper, I am sure.

<By the way, Gary figures a round trip flight would cost about US $12,000 if he can get the engine design perfected, working, and on a spaceframe. don't expect it any time soon, though.>