Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Smokers

Where are they on Enterprise? After only a 100 years I can not see it being entirely quit.

I would like to point out that I do not smoke, but think that its appearence on Enterprise would go to show that there is still some room for improvement between modern society of today and the world presented by TOS.

Where are they on Enterprise? After only a 100 years I can not see it being entirely quit.

I would like to point out that I do not smoke, but think that its appearence on Enterprise would go to show that there is still some room for improvement between modern society of today and the world presented by TOS.

Not onboard a space ship - the health and safety hazards would be prohibitive. Remember Trip's remark to T'Pol that open flames weren't allowed on board.

As a smoker I can understand your point. But it would not be allowed on a starship, as it would consume too much oxygen and give off too much carbon monoxide. It would also be a risk to other crew members, considering that the air is recycled.

As a smoker I can understand your point. But it would not be allowed on a starship, as it would consume too much oxygen and give off too much carbon monoxide. It would also be a risk to other crew members, considering that the air is recycled.

Agreed, maybe there are some smokers left on earth, but surely they can't be allowed to smoke on Enterprise..

They would have to keep an open window :laugh:

I was thinking about this when remembering the story about Nick Meyer and his no smoking sign on ST2.

I don't remember hearing about that, Please share.

I was thinking about this when remembering the story about Nick Meyer and his no smoking sign on ST2.

Basically Nick wanted a 'No Smoking' sign on the bridge but they made him take it down I believe. His arguement was that people have not been able to quit smoking for hundreds of years so what makes you think they will do so in the next couple of hundred.

I don't smoke, but I see no reason why, in the next century or so, smoking has been eliminated....

Basically Nick wanted a 'No Smoking' sign on the bridge but they made him take it down I believe. His arguement was that people have not been able to quit smoking for hundreds of years so what makes you think they will do so in the next couple of hundred.

Yeah... It'd be like a "no smoking" sign on the bridge of a Submarine. :)

I don't smoke, but I see no reason why, in the next century or so, smoking has been eliminated....

I agree as I don't smoke myself, but it would be a good divice to indicate that in the time of Enterprise we have not quite reached that utropian society in TOS.

Poverty was eliminated quite quickly, why not smoking?

Also, everyone on Enterprise had to pass rigorous physical testing, it would be hard to pass through the academy if you were a smoker. I don't see many people in the US Army smoking.

I agree as I don't smoke myself, but it would be a good divice to indicate that in the time of Enterprise we have not quite reached that utropian society in TOS.

I think we already have a lot of indications, mainly in characters and their personalities..

Just compare Picard - Archer and you'll know what I mean :)

look at it this way,i dont smoke, but im about to take the test for firefighter in norfolk, one of the required things to do to get the job, is ALL new employess of the fire dept MUST agree to, and sign a waiver of their rights to smoke on, and off duty. in other words you cant smoke ever. at home, on the bus, in your car, at work, in a bar. so if they do that now, of course its gone in starfleet.

I think they should show some smokers around San Fransico. I mean you always see the NASA ground control people smoking but of course there is no smoking on the space shuttles. A no smoking policy on board starships makes perfect sense, all though I'm sure there are still smokers, drinkers, and junkies on earth in the 22nd century. I mean if they can't get rid of coffee how are they going to get rid of smoking!

I think they should show some smokers around San Fransico. I mean you always see the NASA ground control people smoking but of course there is no smoking on the space shuttles. A no smoking policy on board starships makes perfect sense, all though I'm sure there are still smokers, drinkers, and junkies on earth in the 22nd century. I mean if they can't get rid of coffee how are they going to get rid of smoking!

look at all the lawsuits agianst tobacco co.'s right now, and how many state, and local governments are pushing for bans on smoking. already here in new york, they passed a ban NO SMOKING ANYWHERE IN PUBLIC PLACES. more and more people are trying to quit, more and more people are realising that smoking is just plain gross, and stupid. not the smokers, just smoking, after all its severly unhealthy. why wouldnt smoking be gone, or almost nonexistent over 150 years from now. and anyway, why is it such a big deal to see someone light up a smoke on startrek? as far as drugs and junkies, maybe, but its a show, that says they've eliminated poverty, and the need for money. so theres no profit in drug smuggling, and im sure it would be near impossible to slip shipments by such advanced technology. as a planet, and a society, we are everchanging, and evolving, startrek is one mans vision of a GOOD future for our planet. so why would he put in drugs and smoking. plus you do see smoking anyway in holodec programs and such.

I mean if they can't get rid of coffee how are they going to get rid of smoking!

Smoking is an addiction caused by the nicotine. I'm sure they would have come up with ways to solve that addiction by the time of Enterprise whether it be by removing the nicotine or some other way. Do they have synthohol in Enterprise's time?

Once landed on an M-Class planet, I would like to see Archer step out of Shuttlepod 1 and light a cuban. :bow:

Actually smoking is allowed on submarines,a friend of mine that was in the Navy spoke to me about his captain smoking big ole stinky cigars on board.

I was in the Army and we use to smoke in our tank!

I am trying to quit now,I've gone from 2 packs a day to 1 pack lasting about a day and a half.

It might be interesting if they visit a planet, like a colony or something where people do smoke and say Reed and Trip have a taster as it is a novelty because they had never seen a cigarette before but of course realise how vile they taste... could be amusing for a little added bit of fun in an episode...

Don't know if this has been mentioned or not....

On subs, at least US subs, there's no smoking allowed because of the air that's being filtered and recycled. Nuc subs don't have to come up for air like the old diesel subs, so they can stay down quite a bit longer. Being in a starship would be the same way. They wouldn't have a chance to air out the ship unless they landed on a planet with an agreeable atmosphere.

Well, and then there's the underlying preachy message, I'm sure. :D

Ach now I dont think we should go overboard with this issue and go into big lectures on how we've all moved on and are healthier and blah blah blah. Man is irrational and will do things even when he knows they are bad for him. I think smoking will still exist but not among fitness conscious astronauts like on Enterprise. I mean if you want to get on this shiop you need to be the best and the best wont smoke! Also the physical problems of the ship etc would feature.bUT SMOKING WILL BE AROUND JUST LIKE DRINKING AND DRUGS AND ANYTHING ELSE THAT SERVE TO ALTER MOODS.

SOAPBOX ALERT

The Australian Medical Association and the Federal Health Department have implemented various strategies to remove smoking advertising from sport broadcasts, television ads and have legislated many laws regarding no-smoke zones in and in front of government buildings/institutions and in restaurants.

Despite these efforts more and more young women and men are smoking. I applaud these groups efforts in a difficult battle and hope that television/and movie producers support their efforts by not showing characters smoking. Especially since a healthy and athletic person smoking a cigarette does not portray the dangers of smoking and the addictive nature of the substance.

Education is the best weapon in informing young people about this addictive drug and help them make informed decisions about smoking. With mothers/fathers modeling smoking at home we really don't need our favourite athletes, movie stars or singers lighting up.

Star Trek sends many messages- global peace, diversity of races, ...... Let's hope that the Aust. Medical Association's message reaches far into the future so we do see a world without smoking.

Mind you we all have a choice- to smoke and not to have to breathe other people's smoke.

Now what about sensible consumption of alcohol? Thanks for letting me think about this! :idea:

Poverty was eliminated quite quickly, why not smoking?

Also, everyone on Enterprise had to pass rigorous physical testing, it would be hard to pass through the academy if you were a smoker. I don't see many people in the US Army smoking.

You've never lived near an Army post. I'd say at least hals of the entire military smokes...at least in the Army and Marines.

I have a cousin who was in the Army. He was a drill sargent or some such...smoked like a chimney and he was not the only one...

I agree with most that the crew would not smoke being a closed enviroment

but I still think Archer would look so cool giving orders with a great big cigar in his mouth :idea:

like Apone from Aliens

Cigar.gif

What do you think of my smilie I just though it together just now

After the devestation to Earth after the third world war, not many people may have had the money or time to pick up heavy smoking again. And those who may have started smoking again may not have done it as much and it probably just faded out as people realized how bad it was.

B) You all have given me something to think about. I smoke and Can't stand it any more. So far I have cut back on the amount, but I have not been able to give it up completely. I've tried everything out in the market. Just does not seem to work, If anyone has any ideas on how to quit PLEASE let me know. :( B) B)