Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

City or Countryside?

Which do you prefer?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• City
    • Countryside

I was born in a rural area and my parents still live there. I came to the city to do my degree and I have remained here ever since. The city is so handy for night life and shopping and so on. Yet. every other weekend, I like to slip away to the fesh air and quiet of the country. Where do you live and which do you prefer? I would say in all, I prefer the city because it suits my lifestyle.

I voted city but it depends on how big the city is too. The city where I live has an approximate population of 600,000. It's the perfect size for me.

I spent my teenage years living in the townsite of a Canadian National Park (my mom worked there). There were some staff who lived there year round but the Park itself was only open from mid-May until September long weekend and then almost everything shut down. The areas around the Park were all farm land so it there weren't many people there.

Riding Mountain National Park

I'm a country gal born and bred, who currently lives in a town. Very small by most people's standards, but it feels confining to me. I'm thinking of staying here, but my folks still live on the family farm, and I can escape there anytime. All in all, I vote country!

Where I was born we didn't use the word "country"- in fact we still refer to it as the "woods" - (except my sister who called it the "sticks"). When I was six we moved to "town" - as in small town. I figured there had to be more to life - so I tried city life. I've lived in two state capitols and the VA suburbs of our nation's capital. During the times I was there - it was exactly where I wanted to be.

Anyway, after twenty years of swearing I'd rather die than move back to my hometown - yep here I am. And right now there is no place I'd rather be. But who knows where I'll be in ten years.

I live in a city with a population of over 3 million, so I'm going with city. :laugh: I love the country for vacations, but I'd rather live in the city. :o

i live on an acreage. its fun. alot more secluded. fully treed lot. i love it. and im only 10 minutes away from the nearest city which is edmonton, alberta.

(except my sister who called it the "sticks'')

lol!

I call where i live a city, but i think most people would call it the country side (juat outside of portland maine) so thats what i voted for...i like both...but it also depends on how big the city is. i like nice small cities....NYC is too big for me...

For the last 21 years, I have lived in an area that once was purely a pine forest....hardly anyone in the area..But in the last three or four years our once dark sky is now perpetually lit by the lights of the new strip mall that is down the road, as well as the park, and the baseball field for a local college. Oh, well, we still get some clear nights with not much light pollution(which of course makes us astronomers really... :laugh: !) I definately prefer the country, especially when I got to visit the Blue Ridge mountains when I was 10, the Russian countryside when I was 13(as well as what I got to see out the windows of the airport in Shannon, Ireland).

I am torn between the two worlds. I grew up on a 95 acre farm, it was five miles to my nearest neighbor. And now I live in the heart of the state capital, in an apartment complex. I love the peace and quiet, and slower pace of the country, but I have become accustomed to the conveniences of the city. I voted for the country, but it is a hard decision.

OH, here we go. Give me a 100 acre farm, with a Mickey D's, and a bar on the back 10. Now that would be ideal.

I am torn between the two worlds.  I grew up on a 95 acre farm, it was five miles to my nearest neighbor.  And now I live in the heart of the state capital, in an apartment complex.  I love the peace and quiet, and slower pace of the country, but I have become accustomed to the conveniences of the city.  I voted for the country, but it is a hard decision.

Did it take you long to adjust to the different noice from country to city?

When I lived at Wasagaming, Manitoba (RMNP) it was so quiet for most of the year. When it was warm and we had the windows open all you would hear were birds. When I moved to Calgary, Alberta it took me almost 4 years before I could sleep with a window open (no matter how hot it was) because I couldn't get used to traffic noice (and we didn't live on a very busy street). :laugh:

OH, here we go.  Give me a 100 acre farm, with a Mickey D's, and a bar on the back 10.  Now that would be ideal.

:laugh::wow::bow:

I have lived in both. They both of course have there advantages / disadvantages. I like living in the city primarily, but over the weekend or holiday I like to go to a small town and rest. And it truthfully depends on how I feel.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I voted the countryside. When I was growing up my town was small and dairy farming and banana cropping was still visible. Everyone knew each other and you would run into to plenty of people while shopping. Nowdays I can walk down the shopping centre and very rarely run into people I know.

My small town is no longer small and changes every time I go home. We used to spend our time swimming in the local creek, riding our bikes everywhere and spend our time in the paddocks and walk across the creek flats. Nowdays I wouldn't even think about swimming in the creek due to the fact that residences have been built all along the creek. As for walking across the creek flats- it's impossible as it's all 'private property' with fences and dogs. I bemoan the fact that my town will be unrecognisable from the place I grew up in.

It's a pain when everyone else discovers your own piece of paradise.

I now work and live in the country and love the community spirit and togetherness and best of all the dark skies with very little or no light pollution. The only reason I would move back to the city is because that is where my family is.

i picked country, i was born and raised, and still live in the city. not much of one, but its called a city. idealy someday i want to move to norfolk area, preferbly more country close to city. i love acreage,and the clear night sky without any light pollution, but i also love the conveniece, and pace of the city. when i relax, or hang out i do it right, when i want to go do something, and have some fun, i also do it right, so i need both. but want to live in the country setting. i love to go riding dirt bikes, and four wheeler, and going out with the jeep, i miss my jeep, so you need the country to do those things. so its hard to say but i do lean toward the peace, and tranquility, and privacy, of the country for the most part.

I live in a quad town area, inbetween the Liverpool city, and the Welsh countryside, i must say i prefer the city. Though towns are a great mix B)