Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Sunday Dinner

Do you eat sunday dinner with friends and family or do you eat alone ? I'm getting hungry so I thought I would pose the question to you all. I live alone so most times I eat alone...Like today for instance..Probably about once a month I eat sunday dinner with my parents which I enjoy..I can remember as a kid the whole family would go to my grandmothers for Sunday dinner..That was so nice..I'll always remember those times..

What about you all ?

The idea that Sunday dinner would be any different than any other day is new to me. :blink: Robert gets home early on Sundays so we eat together. If he has to work late or anything I eat with the kids.

Same as you Tig, alone :blink: Unless there is some church event, I like Pot-Luck, it's so fun. On some Special Sudays I go to the home-less shelter here in town and help. That's fun too.

I eat alone because I get up a lot later than my mother does. She is cooking something for herself and me, she eats, puts it back and I eat later when I am awake (I like to sleep until 2 or 3 pm on Sundays). :blink:

Now I eat alone but growing up I remember Sunday dinner being a big thing - fried chicken, mashed potatoes, homemade biscuits. Nobody home fries chicken anymore, and it seems the world has changed - people don't get together for dinner like they once did.

When I lived with roommates we took turns making Sunday dinner and invited over some of the single guys. When I lived in a bigger city there were church potlucks - I was also younger so it was a fun social event.

Now, I actually don't mind being home alone and since I don't like to cook I'm glad I don't have to cook for anyone :blink: This way I got to watch several episodes of Stargate today.

As a child we would eat Sunday Dinner as a family at the table, which most nights we would eat at the table. But Sunday Dinner was usually a larger meal then other nights. After dinner we would all (5 kids and my 2 parents) drive to my grandparents house and visit them for about 2 hours. That was the normal routine for Sundays up until I went into the Army when I was 19 in 1988. After I got out of the Army Sunday Dinner has become just another meal. Sometimes fast food, sometimes canned food, sometimes a bag of potato chips. Usually in front of my computer lately lol

My mom and my mother-in-law both still "home-fry" chicken, spacetigger. You're welcome to come over any time and enjoy it with us. You should shoot for my mother-in-law's, since she is a better cook than my mom (don't breathe a word of that to anyone! Yikes!).

Anyway, we never really had Sunday dinner so to speak, but every Sunday after church we'd come home starving to death and Mom would fix us soup and grilled cheese (with Velveeta, mind you, not those creepy cheese slices wrapped in cellophane).

I used to date a guy whose Grandma still had everyone over for Sunday dinner and that was very nice. They were a real close family. I got to go a few times. Summers were best because of the fresh green beans and new potatoes, corn on the cob and sliced tomatoes, cucumbers and little green onions floating in vinegar and sugar, and everything season with pork fat. (Pork fat rules! according to Emeril and he's right!!!)

These days, it's usually just me, my husband and our 5-year-old son going out to Skyline Chili or Frisch's. It's very nice and a tradition of our own that my son will remember.

My wife still home fry's chicken Spacetigger. However we don't have it very often because it is not good for either of us. We both have high blood pressure, and she's a diabetic. But every now and again I get a treat. Fried chicken, homemade mashed potatoes and gravy and corn on the cob...yuuummmmmm...ooh we haven't had it for a couple of months I gotta call her and tell her what I'm hungry for and that I have been a good little boy.

Oh by the way, my wife and I and our three kids always have family dinner at the table together. It is the only night we insist on not ever using TV trays. Sunday is family day. We had hamburgers from the grill (I cooked) mac and cheese and chips with salsa last night.