Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Star Trek Insurrection

In keeping with my trend these days of reviewing the Star Trek movies, I now turn to Insurrection. My cinematic experience of this film was marred due to someone sitting beside me and breathing through their nosethroughout the film. Also, I had read a very detailed plot synopsis off the internet some timebefore and so knew every plot twist and cheap gag that was going to be spilled out. I thought this film was, like Generations, just one big episode as opposed to a movie. I didnt like the cheesy child actors. The Baku were just too smug for my liking. The Sona, I thought were great. We had the old (prdictable) Picard vs Baddie showdown. That was just ok for me. The jokes were awful! Star Trek 5 style. I liked the romance arc for Picard. I saw a picture of the library in a magazine once with the librarian wearing glasses etc. I think this detail was cut from the scene with Troi and Riker flirting though. Overall, I didn't really like this film.

when i saw the joystick in the space battle scene, i lost it...laughing hysterically... what can u say, it was an odd numbered movie..

Of all the Trek movies, this is my favorite. Some of the things you guys didn't like were my favorite parts of the movie, like the humor. I loved it! I dunno, guess I'm in the minority of this being my favorite of all 10 movies. B)

Oh yeah, forgot to add. The main reason why this was my favorite was becuase it went to the heart of Trek. Dealling ith serrious issues in the form of social comentary hidden within sci-fi. The message: Who are we to forcably relocate any group of people? (we're talking more than like 10 people... :( )

Oh yeah, forgot to add.  The main reason why this was my favorite was becuase it went to the heart of Trek.  Dealling ith serrious issues in the form of social comentary hidden within sci-fi.  The message: Who are we to forcably relocate any group of people?  (we're talking more than like 10 people... :( )[/glow]

I think the message was a little broader than that. It goes beyond just relocation. The idea was that no group of people is too small to have rights. 100 people have as much rights as 100 million people. Arent you the person who said that gay people were not a significant enough number to have rights? Did you miss the point of this film? Sigh. Worms everywhere....

I "liked" this one, but it was not a fav.

Picard in that strange head dress thing at themeeting with the short people....lowered in for me. he looked like a fool and they never did that to him in the show....that i remember. Even playing Robin Hood, he looked good.

And( you knew there had to be a Data aspect, didn't you?) having Data not have his chip made no sence to me! :(

Of all the Trek movies, this is my favorite.  Some of the things you guys didn't like were my favorite parts of the movie, like the humor.  I loved it!  I dunno, guess I'm in the minority of this being my favorite of all 10 movies. B)

Oh yeah, forgot to add.  The main reason why this was my favorite was becuase it went to the heart of Trek.  Dealling ith serrious issues in the form of social comentary hidden within sci-fi.  The message: Who are we to forcably relocate any group of people?  (we're talking more than like 10 people... B) )

I love INS its my fave.. I totaly agree with all that you said CJP.. :(

Picard in that strange head dress thing at themeeting with the short people....lowered in for me. he looked like a fool and they never did that to him in the show....that i remember. Even playing Robin Hood, he looked good.

And( you knew there had to be a Data aspect, didn't you?) having Data not have his chip made no sence to me! :(

I agree with you Lessa. Especially about the emotion chip situation!

Oh yeah, forgot to add.  The main reason why this was my favorite was becuase it went to the heart of Trek.  Dealling ith serrious issues in the form of social comentary hidden within sci-fi.  The message: Who are we to forcably relocate any group of people?  (we're talking more than like 10 people... :( )[/glow]

I think the message was a little broader than that. It goes beyond just relocation. The idea was that no group of people is too small to have rights. 100 people have as much rights as 100 million people. Arent you the person who said that gay people were not a significant enough number to have rights? Did you miss the point of this film? Sigh. Worms everywhere....

Nope, that wasn't me. I just don't want to see them on tv, but that's grounded in my faith and another story all together! B)

And( you knew there had to be a Data aspect, didn't you?) having Data not have his chip made no sence to me! :bow:

I thought he was only without the chip at the beginning? B)

I enjoyed Insurrection very much. My favorite movie is still The Voyage Home, but I thought Insurrection had some good things going for it. Some of the humor was a bit corny, like Data being a flotation device and the joystick scene, but I enjoyed the scenes with Data and the little boy and the discussions about the importance of play.

Two major aspects of this movie that I enjoyed were the Picard romance and the setting. I thought the scenery and photography were nothing short of spectacular. The special effects weren't bad either.

I thought Insurrection was ok, but nothing great. I actually liked the Baku and hated the Sona. It had some good scenes, the story was good. IMO it really was a glorified episode. On my list it's the 3rd worst Trek movie.

Though FC remains my fave film, i really liked Insurrection.I thought it told a good story well.The morality twist that IS Star Trek was spot on for me. And the part where Bev and Troi( i think) were commenting on their body parts firming up, just cracked me up( and made me think i really need to go there :( )I'd definately give it 8/10

I enjoyed Insurrection. It was a well done film IMO. Something that bothered me though were the numbers on the Countdown. They were "Our" Numbers, not Sona. Perhaps this was done for the Joint Starfleet-Sona operation...or for the Audiance, lol...who knows.

And( you knew there had to be a Data aspect, didn't you?) having Data not have his chip made no sence to me! :o

I thought he was only without the chip at the beginning? :laugh:

Actually it was never mentioned that it was reinstalled and if you read the novelization of Nemesis, the chip was supposedly damaged beyond repair...In other words from the end of FC to Nemesis he didn't have the chip. I agree completely with Lessa about disliking that plot twist! I feel that they shouldn't have abandoned the idea of him having emotions.

To be fair Prometheus you may have spoiled the movie for yourself by reading about all the plot twists etc. before you went to see the movie. I don't think you can complain about it being predictable.

In keeping with my trend these days of reviewing the Star Trek movies, I now turn to Insurrection. My cinematic experience of this film was marred due to someone sitting beside me and breathing through their nosethroughout the film. Also, I had read a very detailed plot synopsis off the internet some timebefore and so knew every plot twist and cheap gag that was going to be spilled out. I thought this film was, like Generations, just one big episode as opposed to a movie. I didnt like the cheesy child actors. The Baku were just too smug for my liking. The Sona, I thought were great. We had the old (prdictable) Picard vs Baddie showdown. That was just ok for me. The jokes were awful! Star Trek 5 style. I liked the romance arc for Picard. I saw a picture of the library in a magazine once with the librarian wearing glasses etc. I think this detail was cut from the scene with Troi and Riker flirting though. Overall, I didn't really like this film.

21950[/snapback]

I agree with your entire review of this movie with the exception of the Picard romance ... she was just annoying beyond words. I'm very disappointed in the way the Picard/Crusher relationship ball was completely dropped. They alluded to it the whole series, then poof, movies come and Picard is off romancing the oh-so-boring and smug Anige or flirting around with Alfre Woodard or off in the Nexxus with some ridiculous chick we've never seen before all doodied up in Dickensian garb.

Listening to that breathy voice of Anige spouting her pseudo-mysticism was like biting on tinfoil.

The Sona were pretty good, but F. Murray Abraham deserved a better plotline. What a waste of a good actor.

The best part of Insurrection was Data in the first few minutes of the movie ripping off that invisibility suit ... it pretty much went downhill from there.

They need to get the guys who wrote the scripts for DS9 to write a movie script. They are simply incredible.

I've only seen Insurrection once or twice (quite amazing, considering that I've seen every other Trek movie at least a dozen times, and closer to 50 times each!), and I wasn't all that impressed, though I did think that the humor wasn't too bad. I mean, it's not every movie that you see someone walking along the bottom of a lake and tickling a fish!

Maybe I should watch it again...

I will agree with one thing whole-heartedly... I'm with gul_nodrog in thinking that the Picard/Crusher romance should have continued, instead of just going flat like a tire on an Arizon highway in the middle of July while running over a thumb-tack.

I like all the films, but to varying degrees. I do feel that the TNG films has lost some of the oomph that came with the TOS films, but Insurrection still comes across to me as a good film. I think it's nice to have gone away from the typical plotlines of Borg or Romulans or any other well known baddie to be launching another offensive against the federation. I do however agree with the idea that the Picard/Crusher romance idea should not have been dropped.

Overall I would probably rate it 7/10

when i saw the joystick in the space battle scene, i lost it...laughing hysterically... what can u say, it was an odd numbered movie..

21951[/snapback]

Yes, I loves that scene! Here's a qoute ( My fav. from the movie ) from that scene:

" He wouldn't....? "

" Yes, he would! "

:congrats:

:lol:

Edited by 3 of 7

To be honest this is one of my least liked Star Trek films. The plot was okay but I never understood how a small contingent from that planet could conquer an entire species. The whole face streching thing was just too gross. I also didnt like the FX all that much.

To be honest this is one of my least liked Star Trek films. The plot was okay but I never understood how a small contingent from that planet could conquer an entire species. The whole face streching thing was just too gross.  I also didnt like the FX all that much.

281797[/snapback]

They actually conquered two species. They were probably pre warp or something. One of those Sona ships could take over an entire planet like that, or at least enslave a lot of their population. Power and fear are everything. Didnt they say they 'integrated' them into their culture? Maybe they did a trade of some sort.

I noticed one plot discrepancy. Data says he can serve as a flotation device. However, in one episode of TNG he says that he would sink in water as he was so heavy. Though I just CANNOT remember the episode. Does anyone else remember this? Was it Descent? Hmmm.....

I noticed one plot discrepancy. Data says he can serve as a flotation device. However, in one episode of TNG he says that he would sink in water as he was so heavy. Though I just CANNOT remember the episode. Does anyone else remember this? Was it Descent? Hmmm.....

283156[/snapback]

Yes, prometheus you are correct. It was Decent Part II, he and Geordi were talking as Data was implanting the nanocortical fibers in Geordi's forehead. Geordi reminded of him of the time they were out on a boat in the holodeck, and Data attempted to swim. He said he sank and had to walk a few kilometers underwater to reach the shore because he did not have the bouyancy needed to float.

To be ultimately honest, when he dove into the water I gasped(along with quite a few other people in the theater) since I had remembered that scene. I know the scene was meant to get a laugh, but I just rolled my eyes at it. Insurrection was not my favorite, as I stated earlier in the thread, but it was not the worst(to me, there is not a "worst" TNG film.

To be honest, I found myself sympathising with the Sona. The Baku had a planet of such importance and what did they do with it? Make bread?

I thought they came across as pretty selfish and smug.

They could have helped so many people with the chemicals in the rings.

They could have still lived peaceful life somewhere else, they just wouldn't live so long.

And don't even get me started on that stupid joystick. I used to use one like that on my Commodore 64 to play "Ninja". :assimilated:

But, then again, I hate the Enterprise-E anyway.

To be honest, I found myself sympathising with the Sona. The Baku had a planet of such importance and what did they do with it? Make bread?

283860[/snapback]

:laugh::laugh::waaaa:

I'm pretty much against the whole "pastoral, agrarian-based society" thing anyway ... personally, I really hate nature in general. It's all right on t.v., but I really wouldn't want to go too long without access to a microwave and a Wal-mart.

In keeping with my trend these days of reviewing the Star Trek movies, I now turn to Insurrection. My cinematic experience of this film was marred due to someone sitting beside me and breathing through their nosethroughout the film

When I went to see it, I was sitting beside some stupid woman who had (for reasons which escape me) an alarm clock in her bag. She just waited until it stopped ringing instead of turning it off! The worse thing was, it happend near the end of the film when everything was coming togther!

In keeping with my trend these days of reviewing the Star Trek movies, I now turn to Insurrection. My cinematic experience of this film was marred due to someone sitting beside me and breathing through their nosethroughout the film

When I went to see it, I was sitting beside some stupid woman who had (for reasons which escape me) an alarm clock in her bag.  She just waited until it stopped ringing instead of turning it off!  The worse thing was, it happend near the end of the film when everything was coming togther!

284055[/snapback]

Our theaters management will always give us free tickets if we complain about such distractions during a screening.

The Baku kid with his annoying little pet....uh...something? annoyed me.

Also, it's mentioned that the Federation has opinion polls and such. I think that rather than wanting to protect the Baku, most Federation citizens would probably pressure the Federation to begin harnessing the power and benefits of those rings or many Federation citizens would start settling on the planet itself.

:frusty: