Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~~ Do You Own A Barometer? ~~

Aww, that's a shame :lol: The one I have was one of my Dad's. I wish I could show you what it looks like. It's actually made of an antique wooden pulley used on a ship. It's really beautiful. It's a Carrington Barometer, made in England.

Edited by Jeanway

Morning everyone. The Barometric Pressure here is at 29.9 and holding. It's cloudy but I think the sun might burn through, I hope. I know that isn't what actually happens, it just seems that way. The clouds would actually just move off. Yesterday was a beautiful day out there on Lake Michigan. Took a 3 hour kayak trip down the coast. Just in time to see the local Purification Station release tons of sewage into the lake. :bow: :lol: Good thing I didn't have one of the Iguanas with me out there. If she had jumped into it for a swim, it might have made her sick.

And now a word from my co-host. Airies, you awake yet? { Someone give him a nudge}

OH wait, "Here Comes the Sun"!!! B) :bow:

Edited by Jeanway

78 deg pressure at 30.02 and steady. TGIF :bow: It's going to be a beautiful weekend for a 3 dayer! I feel like partying! :band: The only bad thing is my boss is in a bad mood this moring, I think I'll challenge him to a duel! :lol:

I'll tell you this much at 3:30PM I'm :bow: for the weekend

ILS your up buddy.

Don't hold your breath Airies. :bow: Who knows where our correspondent

from AMSTERDAM is :lol: :bow: ILikeSeven!!!!! You awake??? :lol: Come on,

we're waiting for you. B)

Edited by Jeanway

OOPS, here it comes, the Fog:

Fog

The fog comes

on little cat feet.

It sits looking

over harbor and city

on silent haunches

and then moves on.

Carl Sandburg

Lullaby

now it's time for sleep

hold the secrets that you keep

put them away

.. living in your dreams.

Rimbaud says it all about the dawn

except what to do when it's gone

put them away

... living in your dreams.

let the four winds blow

to the sea we go

to reclaim our hearts

and build our dreams

now it's time to say goodnight

turn away from fright

fill your head with joyous scenes

and helpful means

Conditions are just beginning to deteriorate here in FL. Someone here in town said today that there are now 2.5 million that were evacuating the eastern coast of FL. But I am still here...the storm is no longer a 4 (it is a three though), so it is a little easier to ride out. So far it looks like it will be the Space Coast that gets the direct hit (read as: Cape Canaveral/Kennedy Space Center, et al.), but that can still change. We'll see what happens. My area of FL is now under a Hurricane Watch, a little bit father to my south starts the Hurricane warning areas.

And then...there is a possibility that about 10 days from now, we will be affected by Ivan (which is supposed to be a hurricane by then) ^_^

Edited by Yillara_Soong

It's a beautiful morning here. The sun is glowing red over the lake. A cloud of mist hovers over it's surface. Very peacful ^_^ The Barometric Pressure is still holding at 29.9. It's a temperate 79 degrees and there is no wind. It's September 4th, big holiday week-end. :lol: Airies is gone til Tuesday. I don't know WHERE ILikeSeven is :dude: You out there buddy? ^_^

Edited by Jeanway

Good Luck Yillara, keep safe and run if you have to. :)

259578[/snapback]

:b-day: Thanks, Jeanway. I certainly will try to.

THe winds are getting a bit heavier here, already lost one tree(that was dying anyhow). ANd the storm center is not anywhere near me(where it is located is approximately a 3 1/2 hour drive away for me). But the storm has basically covered the state, it is that massive. The storm will pass to the west of me sometime late tomorrow(but like now, will be well away from me, unless it shifts its path and comes north kind of like Charley did)

Well, that was our SouthEastern Correspondent from Tropical Florida, in the good old U.S.of A. Thanks Yillara for that report on the hurricane. :) We'll all be waiting anxiously for your next update.

And now for my B.P. Report. It's still holding steady at 29.9. This morning is a mirror image of yesterday morning. The sun came up red again over the Lake. Must be the 'Gibli' from The Tunisian Desert, kicking up the red sand. :b-day: It's 80 degrees right now with a slight Easterly wind coming across the lake at about 5 knots. It may be another good day to go out on the lake. :laugh:

A slightly overcast morning here in the Mid-West. The Barometric Pressure is dropping at 29.6, rain people :b-day: It's coming :b-day: Even the REAL Weather guy on t.v. last night said today was going to be a Big, Fat Nothing Holiday. :b-day: But it's still Labor Day, September 6, 2004. :b-day: Where'd the summer ago anyway???? :b-day:

Labor Day: How it Came About; What it Means

"Labor Day differs in every essential way from the other holidays of the year in any country," said Samuel Gompers, founder and longtime president of the American Federation of Labor. "All other holidays are in a more or less degree connected with conflicts and battles of man's prowess over man, of strife and discord for greed and power, of glories achieved by one nation over another. Labor Day...is devoted to no man, living or dead, to no sect, race, or nation."

Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.

Founder of Labor Day

More than 100 years after the first Labor Day observance, there is still some doubt as to who first proposed the holiday for workers.

Some records show that Peter J. McGuire, general secretary of the Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners and a cofounder of the American Federation of Labor, was first in suggesting a day to honor those "who from rude nature have delved and carved all the grandeur we behold."

But Peter McGuire's place in Labor Day history has not gone unchallenged. Many believe that Matthew Maguire, a machinist, not Peter McGuire, founded the holiday. Recent research seems to support the contention that Matthew Maguire, later the secretary of Local 344 of the International Association of Machinists in Paterson, N.J., proposed the holiday in 1882 while serving as secretary of the Central Labor Union in New York. What is clear is that the Central Labor Union adopted a Labor Day proposal and appointed a committee to plan a demonstration and picnic.

Finally back online. I have been without power since around 2pm yesterday. Some of the reports coming in say my home county & one neighboring county saw about as equal force as those in the path of the eye did. And we are in the Northeast, when we lost power the storm center was about 175 miles to my south. Microbursts & tornadoes a plenty throughout the state (Jacksonville and some of the surrounding cities saw more tornadoes than we did, I am to the south of JAX by about 30 to 45 minutes). Flooding, vicious winds.....and to think it is all through. THe storm last I heard was getting to hit the Panhandle of FL, and we are still seeing some wind, rain & incredibly gloomy skies. Lots of trees fallen, property damage...definately the state will feel the effects of this storm for a while (I only lost one tree, and some branches that I can tell so far... my sister & brother in law lost a tree & a few branches that blocked their driveway and almost hit one of their cars...the rest of the city fared anywhere from about the same as us to far far worse I fear)

Some areas of town, food is limited...only one food store was open for a good portion of the day, and the waiting line for the drive through went on for about a 1/4 to 1/2 a mile at one point(and this was a waiting line that formed on US HWY 1!!!! Yes on a major highway there was a fast food waiting line, Oh how I wish I were just kidding but I am not)

Finally regained power here at my home about 3pm, which means we were offline here for a little over 24 hours.

And again once this storm finally leaves FL for good.....we now have to watch for Ivan! Which last I saw was already a Category 3!

Edited by Yillara_Soong

Still breezy & cloudy here, with a little bit of drizzle. Since Frances made its second landfall in St. Marks, FL on the Panhandle, it now will head North and eventually NE. Moving through and affecting most of the Southeast onwards into New England area eventually.

Well, now that the holiday is over of course today is sunny and warm. Yesterday was cloudy and cold and rainy. :b-day: The Barometric Pressure is 29.6 this morning and the sun is burning red again in the morning sky. :b-day: Airies should be rolling in here any minute and MAYBE ILikeSeven too. I hope our friend in Florida is alright. "Yillara!!, You still alive down there??" :b-day: Take it away Airies!! :laugh: ::rimshot:: :b-day::b-day:

Well, after a nice long 3 day weekend it is now56 degrees with the pressure at 30.18 & rising only going to be in the 70's for the rest of the week :b-day: I'm trying to decide if I want to take off this Friday :thumbup: or not. ILS it's all you. Take it away....

:b-day: Sure Airies, why NOT take Friday off??? I can't think of a good reason, can you??? :b-day::b-day: Play in here all day with us. :b-day: :) ILikeSeven, you awake yet???Come on, Man, your up!!! :b-day::laugh: :lol:

:b-day: But Jeanway my pc at home is broke so if I'm not at work I can't play. It really sucks! :sadwalk: Putting the kids back in school has drained me!

AWW, too bad there isn't such a thing as "Rent-A-Computer" :b-day::b-day: Great idea huh? New business venture for the right person. :b-day::b-day: ??? :b-day:

Well, it's 55 degrees this morning going to be up to 79 pressure at 30.21 and rising and I don't feel good cause I forgot my medication this morning! :huh:

Wake Up Jeanway. Where are you? We need a Barometer report! Ok fine I'll go do some work and check back later! :da-boot:

"Wakey, wakey, eggs and bakey" I'm UP!!!!! :laugh:

Morning Airies. Barometric Pressure is at 29.9 :huh: Looks to be a nice day out there. EXCEPT for the huge cloud banks. :blink: It got very cold last night and I closed all my windows. So I don't know if it's warm out there yet. Sure feels like Fall though. Two more weeks til the first day of Autumn. Airies? Where are you? And ILikeSeven, you alright Man?? :clap: Yillara? You still with us?? Or did you get blown out into the middle of the Atlantic yet?? :o :huh: Hello? Hello? This studio sure is empty right now, except for the sound guy and he's asleep draped over his console. :huh:

What do you mean where am I? :laugh: Look above your post silly and you will see I posted before you :huh:: Now we just need ILS to get up and smell the coffee! :huh:

Edited by Airies

Well, it's 55 degrees this morning going to be up to 79 pressure at 30.21 and rising and I don't feel good cause I forgot my medication this morning!  :huh:

261254[/snapback]

Thinks :laugh: "Medication" :huh: Something you want to talk about Airies?? :huh: