Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

What Would You Build?

I think we did something like this before but this is a little different.

If you won a Lottery worth $120 Million what kind of house would you build? What would you have in it?

For me, I would indulge my many passions. I can envision a full scale replica of the Oval Office as my office, my Music room would be done in the style of Graceland and my Entertainment room (TV room) would be a Star Trek kind of theme. I haven't decided on what type of theme it would be though, probably DS9 related. I also think I would have a "Bar" area set up like Quarks for the Kitchen and the Dining Room. The bedrooms would either be TNG or DS9 in style.

Well, that's what I can think of just off the top of my head. I'll have to think a little more on this and kind of "research" to see how much some things might cost. With $120 Million I can envision all kinds of great things lol.

For one thing my office would be like Sisko's Office off of Ops in DS9..Always liked that huge window in back of his desk that looked out into space..My living room would be a modified version of Quarks Bar with a killer entertainment system/TV..From there I would certainly expand the rest of my house with a Trek theme..Even without all that money my home has a huge Star Trek theme to it..

And let's face it..If I had the money I would construct a replica of TOS Enterprise Bridge to play in.. :roflmao:

I would definitely build an orphanage.

I thought the question was what kind of house would you build for yourself ?

Definately it would be on a cliff over looking the Atlantic ocean. Maybe an arc shape with windows all facing the water. A small courtyard with maybe a nice fountain in the center and gardens around it. Every room would face the Ocean. Floor to ceiling windows. I'd have lots of solar-panels and all stone floors and walls. Enormous fireplaces on the North and West walls to heat it too. Indoor and outdoor pools. With a waterfall, has to be a waterfall somewhere. Lot's of animals running around too. Monkeys and Lizards :roflmao: and some birds. My own Private beach at the bottom of the cliff with a long stairway with many decks down to it. A nice pier too where I'd keep the boats. :roflmao::roflmao: Also there would have to be a free standing greenhouse, with all electric panels, somewhere on the property not too far from the main house. Of course I'd need a guest house on the grounds too. And a small beach house wouln't be a bad idea either. A gourmet kitchen of course in all the houses. Invite all my friends from STF.Net to come and stay on their vacations. :roflmao: Oh and maybe a heliport so we could ferry you back and forth to the airport. On the roof an observatory with a giant telescope for nik and Fen to sit and watch the stars. :laugh:

Edited by Jeanway

I would build a nice suburben house with a loft. I would want it fully wired in terms of technology; an awesome entertainment center and fast reliable internet with a very high tech computer. I would also want a small get away room with all of my Star Trek stuff, just to get away from reality for a bit :roflmao:

I'd also want a small observatory and enough room for some of my friends to stay over. But I don't want a huge house, I don't want to loose myself in it.

Yeah, this is for what kind of "Fantasy" home you would build. Everyone would want to donate and feed the homeless and all of those good worthy things, but for the sake of the thread lets just be totally self absorbed. Pretend that all is well in the world and no one goes without. You now have $120 Million to do with as you please. What would your fantasy home look like?

Remember, be greedy. It's just a fantasy.

Even if I tried, I could not spend 120 million. For the building ( modern furniture and decor) I would at most need 3000 sq feet, because right now I do not use 1300 sq ft unless my mother is visiting. In the additional square feet the study room would be expanded into a library(mostly mathematics and world literature, ans sci fi) with a completely up to date computer laboratory with G5 macintoshes. An alarm system would be added. The building would be on top of an open hill and there would be a small observatory on the roof. The property itself would have my house, a guest house a ways away for which ever relative is struggling, and a house for the gardener, because there would be VAST flower gardens, and oak trees and weeping willows, and a pond! Swans, ducks, and other water life. Walking paths. Lots of sunlight in the main home. I think at most such a place would be $10 to $15 million, even with the gardener's regular salary.

Ohhh......I forgot property taxes.....I guess I'll keep the balance of the $120 million...

I hate being surrounded by our many possessions like book cases, cabinets, sinks & bathtubs, dressers, TV & stereo stands, night stands, beds, chairs & couches, desks, hutches and tables for stuff to sit on so, my dream house would appear from the outside to be just a BIG regular house but on the inside all the walls would be extra thick to include motorized everything in the above list.

At the push of a button those items (individually or all together) would disappear into the walls (or appear from them when needed) leaving me with a choice of having them visible or NOT thus giving me cavernous spaces of head & elbow room and straight paths to where I wanna go in the house.

Same for the garage; lawnmowers, tools wheelbarrows, everything, outta sight and outta mind unless I want them.

Excess space between the walls would allow ample room for central heating and AC ducts, Internet, phone and power cable bundles and easy access for any repairs.

A Home Theater system built by THX

I would have a game room with space for a pool table, a dozen of my favorite Pinball games from past to present and a media area for video and table games, everything retractabe of course.

I would have a swimming pool that was half outside a room and half inside for winter swimming and motorized floor for saftey. During summer the wall splitting the pool in two and/or the roof would/could retract allowing a choice of swimming either indoor/outdoor or both.

That's enough, it's time I wake up now.

One huge 100,000 volume library with several plasma T.V. screens each with a news channel on or Star Trek or whatever suits me oh and microfilm, and 2 super computers

and a Computer with 2 DVD+-R Burners and 3.4 P4 EE and FX-52 Athlon 64.

one theatre with 40 seats and full bar wuth all the popcorn and candy and cheesecake.

One huge 20000000 sq ft. room with everything star trek....

I just wish... :roflmao:

So AE, your saying instead of standard walls you'd have like hallways instead, separating the rooms, enclosed on all sides? Kind of like secret passageways. Hmmm, not bad, I like that idea. Of course in the past secret passageways were fairly common in large houses. I lived in a house once that was called " Nooks and Crannies" It had something like that there. It had alot of odd little alcoves and kind of punch-outs here and there, sort of an odd house but I grew to love it. It had a main hall upstairs with all these little alcoves, almost like little bedrooms with sliding doors that disappeared into the walls. Each one had a row of windows above like a window seat and it was just perfect for one person to sleep in. It also had these kinds of walls, like passageways.

Edited by Jeanway

I am a very simple woman, I don't have a need or want for a mansion. I would want maybe 10 or 15 arces of land. The house I have now and on my land I would build a Doggie Daycare.

First chunk of money would go to finding a good architect that could read my mind and figure out my dreamhouse. I have in mind something that is sort of contempoary classical greek architecture. Hills are nice but they don't make them in Florida - I can't decide if I want on the river or not. I don't want gators on my patio.

I'd like a three story with a large plate glass window overlooking the river or ocean - I'll be using any leftover money for property insurance :roflmao:

I want an orange grove - a landscaped garden that includes a walking path, fountains and mazes, a tiled pool in a glassed in patio. Also an herb garden and vegetable garden. A mimosa tree, wisteria, crape myrle, dogwood, azaleas and a fishpond with a bridge. I want a library with computer hook ups and a formal dining room/ball room. A separate but attached guest quarters for my mom to live in, a solarium and skylights. an exercise room, a really huge fireplace. A kitchen with lots of space and everything built for a person 5'1". An art room for crafts, sewing etc.

Oh, and I like the idea of all rooms being wired, and intercoms in every room. An aquarium 'wall' in the family room

And a balcony on the third floor for setting up a telescope.

I want a spiral staircase in my bedroom that goes up to a loft and a balcony.

Well, that's a start :roflmao:

Yeah, this is for what kind of "Fantasy" home you would build. Everyone would want to donate and feed the homeless and all of those good worthy things, but for the sake of the thread lets just be totally self absorbed. Pretend that all is well in the world and no one goes without. You now have $120 Million to do with as you please. What would your fantasy home look like?

Remember, be greedy. It's just a fantasy.

Ok, in that case, I would build a house entirely out of plexiglass, including the furniture. I think the neighbors would get a good kick out of that.

First off I'd stay awake for about 4 days then I'd suck down a couple of pots of coffee, then I'd take one of those big 64 color boxes of crayons and some paper and empty my brain onto the paper, then I'd find a contractor insane enough (or unscrupulous enough :roflmao: ) to build the insanity that I had drawn. :roflmao:

Okmay, you'll have to see the below picture for a visual, but the house would have a ball room, a huge master suite, a huge entrance foyer, a large Billiards/TV/Livingroom/Bar kinda thing, a Library, a huge pool, several smaller pools, and would resemble slightly an old Roman villa. I'd buy alot of land somewhere, with lots of trees, and hopefully wildlife, four observatories on the first floor would provide views of the sweeping landscape. the house would have an underground garage, and a central computer system, connected to computers throughought the house. the Library would contain as many real books as I could fit in there (mostly historical works, Military Fiction, Military non fiction including a full set of Janes', and anything that couldn't be kept on bookshelves in the two floor library would be available in a computer database. a wireless airport type system would allow me to use a PDA anywhere to access any data I need, including, of course, STF.net. the Ballroom would contain a massive dance floor, and an upper mezanine, for the general observing and chatting. the dining hall would be for major parties, since I'd plan on throwing a good deal of them.

post-12-1087539897.jpg

I've had my exact dream home pictured in my head for about 10 years. :bow: I already have the plan (out of a newspaper), but would change it alot. It'd be white bedford-stone, 2 stories (well, 1 story with side and rear access to basement), 2 car attached garage with 2 story small garage with guest apartment upstairs near the house but not connected, lots of glass in the back of the actual house, 2 fireplaces, 4 bedrooms upstairs, several in the finished basement, in ground glassed-in large pool out back, tropical landscaping, etc...

All on about 6-10 lush, green, slightly rolling, mediumly wooded acres.

Is that specific enough for ya? :o

Just so you know, this wouldn't take more than 2 mil, probably (definitely less than 5), so I'd save the rest. I don't really care about a house with a theatre, bowling alley, or theme rooms. I just want a beautiful place to relax with my future wife and kids - a place to really call home.

[/sappiness] :laugh:

My house would have a large family room in it with antique furniture and fireplace with a large bay window. The den would also have a fireplace in it and large panel screen tv. I would have a large master bedroom with two large walkin closests. The master bathroom would have a hotub in it with a seperate shower and two sinks. There would be at least two more bathrooms and total of five bedrooms. They would be upstairs and reachable by a spiral staircase. I would have a billiards and game room as well as my own theater and maybe a small bowling alley. The kitchen would be large with lots of pantries and cupboard space and connected to a formal dining room. The house in general would have a country plantation feel to it. The house would be on at least 10 acres of property out in the countryside where I could have horses if I wish with a large rose garden and a vegetable garden. There would be a wrap around porch on the house with a swing and rocking chairs. There would be a tropical swimming pool complete with a spa, water fall, diving board, and built in waterslide. A garden area would be off to the side of the pool for entertaining guests and having barbeques.

Oh yes, I would also have to have a library and study for all my books and at least one room built specifically for all of my Star Trek memorabillia.

Edited by Vulcan IDIC

I'd want to buy Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater. I'd keep the origninal furniture, unless it's not in good condition, in which case I'd just have it redone. I'd also add my own touches: huge professional portraits of Spock, my dogs, and myself; lots of useless high-tech gagdgets, and shrine (ok, not a shrine in the literal sense) to Frank Lloyd Wright.

as you can tell, I kinda like Frank Lloyd Wright