Sign in to follow this  
fenriz275

The Prime Directive

I'm throwing a situation out here for everyone to consider. You're the captain of a Federation starship, you come across a prewarp civilization that is facing complete annihilation from a natural disaster, one that you can prevent. Would you violate the prime directive and help or follow the rules? Please explain why you decided on your particular course of action.

That's a good question. It seems like there were times when something like this happened. As long as no direct contact was made they would interfere - like that TOS episode with the asteroid heading towards the planet.

I would do it but then I may not be a Star Fleet officer.

Actually, why does the prime directive only apply to prewarp societies - all contact with other species will influence cultural development in some way no matter what the stage of technology.

This WAS an episode,' PEN PALS', TNG. Yes, they did but erased the memory of it in the little girl.

I guess I'm one of those "to heck with the Prime Directive" type of people. <_< I may be as covert about it as possible, but in this situation, I'd probably help. Sometimes, though, the PD can be a pretty good thing.

To hell with our orders! I'll make my own federation and destroy the present one! *evil laugh* Destroy! Destroy!

Hmmmmmm........ I assume that saving the planet will in some way violate G.O.#1? Well...... gotta do it. My career for their lives.

Oh heck, to Hades with the PD! I am in the Romulan Imperial Fleet. Let the civilization die, then take what resources are left to destroy the UFP! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Guest
Oh heck, to Hades with the PD! I am in the Romulan Imperial Fleet. Let the civilization die, then take what resources are left to destroy the UFP! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Atta go there! Destroy everything! *evil laugh*

I tend to bend the rules. Knowing that and the fact that I couldn't stand to see a civilization distroyed, then I would violate the Prime Diective if there was no other way to save the people.

Compassion, after all, is a big part of humanity.

I think that like Kirk I would try to find a clever way around it. I would probably try my best to try and help the planet as long as I didn't come in direct contact with anyone on it or influenced them with my technology. We are talking about life here and I think that's more important than my career.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."

I'd always obey it no matter what, not because i follow orders, it's because i believe it's right.

If there was a way to prevent the disaster without coming in contact with the people I would probably do it.. Otherwise, I'm not sure, have to give it some thought.

I'm not sure what I would do. The Prime Directive is a cornerstone of the Starfleet. Disregarding the PD can be disasterous. I think it would be the hardest decision I would have to make but as a Starfleet officer I would have sworn to uphold the PD and I would probably do that.

You know what, i think this would be one of those "extenuating circumstances" things. I mean, the PD was meant for (mostly) the average situation. Think about it, normally if these people were at a higher level of technology then you could easily stick to it, but what about if it was you on the planet in pre-warp (or pre-whatever) level? I think chances are that, if it was found out that you were helping the planet by the inhabitants, there'd be some sorta cover-up right, even if it was for the best?