Sign in to follow this  
fenriz275

Misconceptions

I've noticed that sometimes people form opinions and judgements about people based on very little initial contact. I admit I've done this myself even when I try not to. Do you do this or has someone formed an opinion about you when they barely know you? I think it would be nice if we could all give each other the benefit of the doubt. What is anyone think about this?

People always get the wrong impression about me. not that I care. I usually wait till someone says something before I pass judgement on them.

People always get the wrong impression about me. not that I care. I usually wait till someone says something before I pass judgement on them.

You mean your NOT a kind , sensitive, sweet man? Hmm, where'd I go wrong? <_< :P Love Ya Man :(

yeah people definately form an opinion to quickly sometime. i try not to do so, and im usually pretty good about it, but no ones perfect. i know some have passed judgment on me, thinking i cant be real, but tis all good.

Oh yeah. Happens all the time, and the net is definitely a big factor. All you have to base your perceptions of a person on is text, and there's no way that can give a clear picture of the individual. I think I'm much different in real-life than on the internet, so I'm sure a bunch of you have me and my personality pictured the wrong way, and I've caught myself doing the same thing to a few others.

It's just as bad off the net sometimes. If you screw up that first impression, some people wont let you make up for it. Everyone just needs to be given the chance to show a big chunk of their personality before being pegged as a certain type of person.

I'm an accountant and I have a knack for numbers...but words...no way...

so I have a hard time getting across what I want to say and sometimes it

comes out wrong and causes problems, I guess that's why I like it hear...

In a room full of people I don't talk, this is easier <_<

I don't know why it is, but lots of people who meet me for the first time say I'm so sweet - talk about misconceptions! I'm polite, but I guess people think politeness is just SO adorable! I don't get it. I don't look like a child, but some people just can't believe I'm not a little sweetie-pie girl.

I have to be very polite at my job, so maybe I'm getting too good at it? <_<

I just treat ppl like they treat me,if they are friendly then i am and if you treat me like crap thats how i treat you back,very easy way to be,i give everyone a chance to be friends with me.

At this point in my life I just accept the fact that some people will have preconceptions about me, or form misconceptions about me. I very much acsribe to that adage "Time will tell." Many people have thought things about me that they have come to realize, over time, were simply not true. But I have also had to learn to live with lies about me, which some people in my professional life believe. I can't change their minds, and do not try to. I just forgive and move on, living the best life I know how.

I think we all have preconceptions and form assumptions on some level, the main factor is recognising them and not allowing it to affect your judgement or decision making.

I believe that the best way is to treat people based on who they are, not what they are or who you think they might be.

I'm an accountant and I have a knack for numbers...but words...no way...

so I have a hard time getting across what I want to say and sometimes it

comes out wrong and causes problems, I guess that's why I like it hear...

In a room full of people I don't talk, this is easier <_<

Yeah, I know the feeling. I'm a scientist, and I have a knack for numbers, but when it comes to socializing - I'm a bit slow - has nothing to do with being nerdy, just heavily pre-occupied all the time.

I think everybody makes assessments of others and it is often done within the first 10 seconds after we meet someone. When I was in school I was very interested in Attribution theory - how we attribute characteristics to others.

An example: The larger a woman's bust size the dumber people think she is. (this was a research experiment I read about) We may not even be remotely aware of the assumptions we make about people.

I also think many people are too busy to really get to know people anymore so we often live with our assumptions. It works both ways too - we may initially be put off by someone who becomes a great friend or we may really think we like someone and then get to know them :blink:

Just because I like to torture people, that doesn't make me a bad person,

does it :) I'm really an B) just fooling around :)