Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

Have you ever saved a life?

I know my constant military talk drains on people, but I am sure I can think of 20 or 25 million people who would consider me a hero. have I ever saved a life? the sociological answer is yes, I have, because the people I killed would themselves have killed other people, perhaps ten, twenty even per person, so it could be looked at as I saved 340 people's lives. But I'm no hero. not in my book anyways.

yeah but jim then again no offense but i dont exactly know if you've defended ur country directly i dont want to draw out into another arguement about Iraq because wed be arguing a circular argument, AND I KNOW THAT WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS RITE! :P but like just when saving ppls lives through the millitary comes to mind i think of WWII (thanks for savin out behinds btw) :laugh: and yeah ive had friends who are suicidle that ive talked outa doing things like that

I don't know if it counts, but I saved my dog's life when I was a kid (I was about 12).

I had made the mistake of teaching Elizabeth, my dog, that she could walk on ice. Unfortunately, I did not teach her how thick the ice had to be. :laugh:

There was this "open" sewer not too far from my house. I heard her howling and I found her with her front paws floating on a piece of ice in the sewer. I tried to pull her out, but I could not reach her. Yes, I had to go in. I was neck-deep in sewage (an experience I do NOT recommend), but I got her out.

I can honestly say I have never smelled worse in my life. :P

Yes all the time, it's all part of a normal day for a lifeguard, with extensive medical knowledge, but i don't just save people from drowning.

The first life i ever saved was a guy with alcohol poisoning at a party, he had liver failure, which i knew because he turned yellow, so i stuck my fingers down his throat to empty his stomach, and then fed him water until those idiot paramedics arrived, the doctors said that if it wasn't for my efforts he would have died.

The second was a drunken goth who came of his skateboard and broken his neck, i made sure he couldn't move his head, stopped the bleeding of a huge gash to the head. when the police arrived they told me to get away from him until the paramedics arrived (20 more minutes), i said "No, if you are willing to let him die that's your twisted view, but it ain't mine", yet again if not for me he would of died.

Next up was coming home from a night on the ale, we saw a guy staggering round, we got closer and noticed he was missing half wrist, and was pouring with blood, he'd put his hand through a window. I sobered up immediately and took my jacket off and wrapped it tight round the wound, and instructed my friend to hold on to it tight, we lay him down just incase he fainted (he did 2 mins later), and lifted his arm up to prevent blood flowing to the wound and jammed my fingers in his brachial artery to stop the blood flow to his hand, while my other friend called an ambulance.

When they arrived, half an hour later, he'd lost a good 2/3 pints and was delirious, they tried to remove the jacket, against my judgement, and one paramedic got a shot of blood to the face, they lowered his arm and removed the jacket and replaced it with ABSORBANT cotton! I immediately shouted at them to raise the arm and put the jacket back until a transfusion was available, they agreed after ****ing up. Then a paramedic turned to me and said put your fingers in his artery, i still had my fingers there, i turned and said "they're there, they've been there for half a ****ing hour, where the **** have you been?

Finally the last non work related save was when a friends family had a big fight, and the daughter got kicked in the belly by her brother, not only was she pregnant and had a misscarriage, but i noticed she had ALOT of heavy bruising around the area, i suspected she had internal bleeding, she refused to go to hospital (due to the pregnancy), but i told her she might die, she went and i was correct, they saved her, n she's fine now.

Guest Ktrek

My brother was drowning one time after having gone out into too deep of water and I saved him. :) Sometimes I wondered whether I should have! :roflmao::roflmao: :)

Ktrek

Edited by Ktrek

Hmm, I've had to do the Heimlick on a couple people. And I called 911 for someone who was having a heart attack.

I don't take credit for those things at all... I was there and did what needed to be done.

I feel more like a hero for helping my divorced friend have a good Christmas for her kids when she couldn't afford to get gifts for her kids. :roflmao:

I'm trained in CPR, but fortunately I haven't had to use it yet. I did help calm a little boy down one time who had been hit by a car (not very hard , just hard enough to startle him).

No never saved anyones life before,but i stopped a guy once who was beating the h.ell out of his girlfriend,he had kicked her so many times she was knocked out,so i saw this going on and ran across beat the h.ell out of him,then the police turned up and I was the one who got arrested :bow:

I was a lifegaurd last year, have had only 2 pullouts but nothing truly serious yet. I hope I never have to save someone's life, for that means someone would be in trouble.

I was in a department store and a girl was there with her baby. She gave the baby a piece of candy and the baby got this horrible look on it's face and started waving it's arms around frantically. I could see the baby was in distress but the mother just held the baby and looked at it and didn't do anything. I grabbed the baby from her and held it down on my leg resting it's chest on my thigh. I began doing compressions and after a couple times the piece of candy popped out and the baby was alright. I handed the baby back to it's mother and she just looked at me. We didn't say anything. I just walked away.

Edited by Jeanway

I was a lifegaurd last year, have had only 2 pullouts but nothing truly serious yet. I hope I never have to save someone's life, for that means someone would be in trouble.

Wait till you have a spinal injury, that's when the true skills are required. Some stupid guy jumped on this over guys back while he was swimming under the surface. I saved him and he's ok now, but if i had made just one slight mistake he would have had paraplegia, so say the doctors.

So far I haven't directly saved anyones life that I can think of. But I am on the register for Bone Marrow donation. I think anyone who is fit and healthy to give blood should be on a register. There are many thousands needing bone marrow and only a few willing to suffer two weeks of major discomfort or fluey feelings (Depending on how they get the stem cells needed for the transfusion, that is why they took bone marrow in the first place) to save others lives!

I will feel bad so another doesn't die. pain Vs. Life? There really in my eyes no competition. Doing something so small, has a HUGE impact on not just the patient, but also to their families. I believe in potentiality and therefore I refuse to allow the potential of another human deminish because I did not act when I could.