Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

What are your angery outlets?

Don't be shy, share share! As we all know, we all get angry, and I find it very healthy to let out my anger than explode at someone. I've got one good method I use: walk as far as I can for an hour, then walk back. If I can't calm down, I just keep walking. I got the idea from a good friend of mine and it works like a charm! :hug:

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I rarely get angry anymore, i used to have a few mental problems, which ment i used to black out become violent, and wake up with no memory, but i'm past it now, now i redirect the left over anger into positive projects.

I rarely get angry anymore, i used to have a few mental problems, which ment i used to black out become violent, and wake up with no memory, but i'm past it now, now i redirect the left over anger into positive projects.

Redirect the left, huh? :hug:

paraphrase of ARMS: ...redirect the amount of anger he still has into positive projects. Make sense, JP?

I rarely get angry, at least not angry enough to need an outlet very often. If something ticks me off (usually an injustice that I know I can't prevent), I sometimes just call up Mom back home and we both complain about whatever is responsible for the problem for a few minutes; she's good like that. Often I'll just pray for the realization that the situation isn't (usually) worth getting riled up over.

Other than that,,, no worries. :hug:

I can have quite a temper so I am one who has to have an outlet. Usually I turn on some loud music and work out. Exercise always helps. If I really feel like I'm going to lose it I'll scream into a pillow and then usually throw it and anything else soft. Don't get that mad very often though.

Yelling is very theraputic, but I can't do it without the neighbors hearing! If I'm at work, I take a bag of trash back to the stockroom & toss it (carefully) so it just barely contacts the metal roll-up door - it makes a very satisfying metalic rattling BANG. :hug::hug: Then I cuss like a muleskinner, but quietly!

Or I talk it out with a co-worker. Less noisy.

At home I listen to agressive music - Billy Idol works best, but I need to expand my collection.

Another thing I like to do when I'm pissed is get in the car and just drive wherever with the music blaring. I was going to do that tonight since I'm in a rather fowl mood but I just went out and my car won't start. Figures. :hug: I need chocolate.

I throw dishes at walls. Happened to me once - when I saw Insurrection ( :bow: ) for the first and the last time in my life. :)

I still throw things around when I get angry. But I always make sure that no dishes are involved. Mom would kill me :blink:

When I was younger and I got angry I would just get drunk or get in my car and drive..And yes sometimes both! Yeah I was stupid and usually paid a price for it...Now, when I get angry I'll jump on my exercise bike and go crazy and then go at some weights..Exercising is a great way to relive anger and stress..Works for me..

I can have quite a temper so I am one who has to have an outlet. Usually I turn on some loud music and work out. Exercise always helps. If I really feel like I'm going to lose it I'll scream into a pillow and then usually throw it and anything else soft. Don't get that mad very often though.

Wow, you use all my techniques! I also like to exercise and scream into pillows. The quote in my signature also talks about a helpful tactic :)

I often crank up the distortion and volume on my amp and chug out some heavy riffs until I'm all sweaty and tired.

I usually don't get angry. I analyze the crap out of everything. Dissect a situation down to it's lowest common denominator and pick it apart. Just to try to understand why I am angry. Usually I can figure it out. Then I can maybe fix the situation, somehow. I usually am partly at fault. Then I try to adjust my thinking so as not to be put in that situation again. I guess that's called 'reasoning'. But if I'm so angry it's affecting me physically, I found that a long , hot shower will help that. Calms the nerve endings of your body. In orther words ' takes the wind out of your sails', it really does. Then you can procede to get yourself into some more trouble, only if you feel like it. :)

Guest Ktrek

I'm not now nor ever have been an angry person. I think I have only been mad enough to yell at my wife once or twice in eight years of marriage. I honestly can't remember my first wife and I ever fighting in 17 years of marriage. I get upset and irritated with my boss sometimes and we have had some conflict when we disagree on how things should be done.

I have never released anger through violence. Ever since I was a teenager 30 years ago I decided that violence was wrong and that there are more intelligent ways to resolve conflict. I guess my disposition just allows more for irritation than it does anger. If my wife irritates me too much I just go into the computer room and spend time alone online, reading a book or listening to some music. We have an agreement that if either of us gets angry to the point of yelling we can tell the other to go to their room until they settle down. My wife has more angry moments than I but I think for the most part it is hormonal. Since she has been on natural hormone replacement her episodes are far and few between.

One more note...My wife gets irritated with me because I'm almost always an "up" person. I rarely am ever down and always get up smiling and having fun. I goof off a lot and do not take life too seriously except when serious matters arise. My wife on the other hand is quite different. She gets up sour faced and gets better as the day goes along. Where her cup is always half empty mine is always half full. I tend towards a very positive outlook. She always sees the downside of everything. I have to say that I have had a lot of influence on her in recent years and she has gotten much better.

Ktrek

Edited by Ktrek

I tend to hit things. I have a mattres that is leaning against a wall. I tend to go all out jiu jitsu on that thing. Prevents me from breaking my nuckles and putting holes in walls (I have put 4 holes in the walls of my home, but none go right through because I never hit a wall with full force. If I did that I could probably put my fist thru one side and out the other (if the wall is a separating wall)

I shout and use profanity then I shut me in my room and sing christina Aguilera at the top of my lungs, follow it up with Mariah carey to slowly unwind and throw some Nickleback on to chill and listen to.

Chad Kroeger has such a wonderful voice.

My No. one cause of anger? My dad

no.2? friends and guys making me feel like they are rejecting friendship

*throws pillow at Ktrek* Darn calm people. Robert almost never gets angry either, don't know how he does it. When Robert does get angry though he just gets real quiet.

Guest Ktrek
*throws pillow at Ktrek* Darn calm people. 

Ktrek catches the pillow and beats Rikerchick over the head with it to teach her that throwing objects isn't a good way to deal with anger. :)

Ktrek

*throws pillow at Ktrek* Darn calm people. 

Ktrek catches the pillow and beats Rikerchick over the head with it to teach her that throwing objects isn't a good way to deal with anger. :blink:

Ktrek

Do I sense a hint of anger? :) winker.gif

I am being completely honest. I watch Trek. It makes me much calmer. I am really angry right now, and I gave up Trek DVDs for lent, so I am on stf.net.

Guest Ktrek
Do I sense a hint of anger? :bow:winker.gif

Ktrek calmly looks at Rikerchick and screams...WHAT WOULD GIVE YOU THAT IDEA?????

Then he grabs the pillow and smacks her again!

:blink: :)

Ktrek

Do I sense a hint of anger? :) winker.gif

Ktrek calmly looks at Rikerchick and screams...WHAT WOULD GIVE YOU THAT IDEA?????

Then he grabs the pillow and smacks her again!

:blink: :)

Ktrek

ROFL! :bow:

well i do any number of things such as, listen to angry music, go for a drive listening to angry music, hit the heavy bag, hit the roof of my truck, or the truck bed, or any convenient wall. but the problem with thta is that it hurts. :elephant: like my hand is hurting right now. :) i also go for a walk or a jog, with, of course music, of course angry music. i didnt use to be so angry, and try not to be, but my patience has all but vanished and here i am working on the new me, trying to find some of the old me, that just blew it all off.

Oh, there's another one I forgot. I sometimes try to put other people in a bad mood or make them angry. Somehow it makes me feel better in a comparative way. And it's kind of fun, too. You just need to be careful who you try it with.