Sign in to follow this  
stoned_vulcan

10th planet?

I think that it's so small it doesn't actually qualify as a planet. I don't remember where I got this info but I know what you're talking about.

I think Sedna should be classed as a planet.

There's another one called Quaoror or something like that.

That should be classed as a planet too.

I completely disagree with any moves to strip Pluto of it's planetary status.

They should simply divide planets into three catagories instead of two:

1) Small rocky planets near the Sun.

2) Large gas giants further from the Sun.

3) Small rock and ice planets furthest from the Sun.

They are not asteroids or comets.

They say that they are relics left over from the birth of the Solar System.

So what???

They should be classed as planets.

:blink:

Guest Personal Jesus

Um actually Sedna (or 2003 VB12 since the International Astronomical Union (IAU) Minor Planet Center has not given this planetoid an official name) is too small to be considered a planet. The following site will give you more information why Sedna, and the other planetoids beyond Pluto (which by scientific standards now is not considered to be a planet) are not being called planets.

Hope this helps...

Actually this would be considered as the 12th planet....

There are two other planetoids between sedna and the sun....

But the after pluto, they are tooo small....

I know that there is resistance to calling these new discoveries 'planets', but who cares?

They're too big to be called comets, not irregular enough to be called asteroids, both in shape and orbits.

I accept that they don't fall into the two existing main catagories of planets. What I am saying is that scientists should create a third class of planets which includes these new objects.

:blink: :wow:

The "10th planet" is called Quaoar.

The main reason planet status is debated as if Sedna came close enough to the sun and earth, we would call it a comet.

Also, it has a highly elliptical orbit, unlike the nearly sperical orbits of the nine planets (pluto is the most elliptical).

Plus, they know that it's not a comet or a asteroid because it's too big.

They should simply say that while it is not a 'terrestrial type' or 'gas giant' planet, it is one of many obejcts that fit into a THIRD catagory of planet. Small, distant, cold, rocky and icy, possibly with moons orbiting them. In a fixed orbit around the sun and they affect the courses and movements of the other planets.

I think Quaoar, Sedna and any other similar object discovered should be classed as planets.

:)

Edited by William Stryker

The "10th planet" is called Quaoar.

The main reason planet status is debated as if Sedna came close enough to the sun and earth, we would call it a comet.

Also, it has a highly elliptical orbit, unlike the nearly sperical orbits of the nine planets (pluto is the most elliptical).

WOW thats really intresting i didnt know that just goes to show you learn something new every day. :dude:

nasa is a sad sad place...

My current starfleet regional club hosts the tours at the Johnson Space Center.... It's awful....

On David Letterman, they showed a chart with Christy Loves head, way out there as the 10th planet. :P

Edited by Jeanway