Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

Startrek Fans, a Cult? Talk radio show

The next "Face the Nation" talk show on F.M. radio's topic wil be about us. Is this a cult? He, the announcer, asked. Either tomorrow, March 9th at 1:PM, cental time, or next Monday, at 1:00 P.M. I'm not sure, I don't listen to that show regularly. Anyone else hear this? It's around 90 on the F.M. dial. You think we're a cult? I don't , just devoted fans.

I don't think we're a cult...

I don't think I'll make my own secret society.... (drwho42ism)

Click for Spoiler:

desert7.jpg

tzintro1-1.giftzintro1-2.giftzintro2.giftzintro3.gif

:bag::bow::assimilated: :huh:

doctorwho42avenger@hotmail.com

Doctor Who official website

Doctor Who: The Best Links

USS Aurora NX-19 of the year 2154 AD

The Adventures of drwho42 continues....

320x240.jpg

announce.jpg

'And Now For Something Completely Different....'-Announcer

Monty Python's Flying Circus

aurora.jpg

We aren't a cult, we're just sci-fi fans who are a bit obessive with our favorite TV show. :bag:

A bit obsessed? Speak for yourself, I live for Trek! :bow:

"Cult" "Counter-Culture" and "Sub-culture" are all Sociological terms. Cults generally speaking fall under "Counter-Culture." By definition, however, Trekkies are a "Sub Culture." The difference between "Sub Culture" and "Counter Culture" being the practices. a Sub Culture is usually just a peaceful group of people who just want to be left to themselves (The Prime Directive, almost, Non-interference.) while a Counter-Culture wants to change things, sometimes violently. Al Queda, for example, could be classified as a Counter-Cultural Cult.

Stardate:214186.9

A cult? No not us.......:hides susicide pills: No we are not a cult :)

If VBG turns Jim Jones on us, he is drinking that koolaid by himself! :(

Nah, no koolaid :koolaid: but you can send me all your money if you want... :)

If VBG turns Jim Jones on us, he is drinking that koolaid by himself! :assimilated:

Nah, no koolaid :koolaid: but you can send me all your money if you want... :assimilated:

You can be so evil at times, VBG. cowboy.gif

Why do they always have to talk about Trekkies/Trekkers? Why don't they ask if Star Wars is a cult. Or if daytime soaps are a cult.

Why do they always have to talk about Trekkies/Trekkers? Why don't they ask if Star Wars is a cult. Or if daytime soaps are a cult.

Excellent point. There are plenty of people obsessed with anime and comicbook superheros, but has anyone ever heard them called cults? Hmmm, maybe they think we're a cult because of the cool Starfleet uniforms. :clap:

We know we are not a cult, and the silly people who asked the question know it too. The only thing we all agree on is that we like at least one of the Star Trek series. We are such a mixture of diverse opinion and background, and even of intensity of "fandom" ...most of us have never been to a Star Trek convention.

Maybe the question was not really serious to start with.....

there was one episode of Voyager, Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy, I think, where the Doctor kept getting fan mail. Seven of Nine responded to the term fan by saying "Fans, as in an ancient word, a shortened version of Fanatic?"

Yes we are a cult and I'm the High PooBah, you all are going to send me a check or money order for $50. Do it now.

Heeeeeey...I wanted to be the High PooBah! Bah! I'll start my OWN cult, no fenriz275s allowed. :clap:

But the meanings are totally different. There are alot of words, derived from other words or phrases. A few examples: Agony, denotes anguish or intolerable pain, comes from a Greek word, agonia, which was a sporting event. Bonfire, I like this one, Middle Ages, a fire of bones. In emergencies of war or pestilence. The burning of heretics at the stake. The word Bone shortened to Bon. Salary, originally, Salt Money, from the roman soldiers, drew a special allowance for the purchase of salt. Salt was hard to find. Halcyon, a popular sleeping pill, comes from the Greek, a bird that calmed the waves, halkyon.

Guest Ktrek

cult - noun

a. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.

b. The followers of such a religion or sect.

A system or community of religious worship and ritual.

The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.

A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.

a. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.

b. The object of such devotion.

An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual

If the use of "cult" adheres to the definition of number 6 than yes Star Trek fans are a cult but not in the negative "religous" sense of the word. In England genre TV is called "cult TV" and they have even a magazine called "Cult Times" that has articles on TV shows like Star Trek, Dr. Who, Blakes 11, Andromeda etc. If the radio show is going to say that fans are a "cult" in any other way than definition number 6 then they are way off track IMHO. :clap:

Ktrek

Edited by Ktrek

Blakes 11

Click for Spoiler:

av-812.jpg

*coughs*

It's "Blake's Seven"....

Blake's 7

Click for Spoiler:

desert7.jpg

tzintro1-1.giftzintro1-2.giftzintro2.giftzintro3.gif

:dude::dude::assimilated::assimilated:

doctorwho42avenger@hotmail.com

Doctor Who official website

Doctor Who: The Best Links

USS Aurora NX-19 of the year 2154 AD

The Adventures of drwho42 continues....

320x240.jpg

announce.jpg

'And Now For Something Completely Different....'-Announcer

Monty Python's Flying Circus

aurora.jpg

I looked up Cult a dictionary.com (althought after doing so I realize that KTrek did the same thing) and definition 6 seemed to fit in my interpretation. It was "An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest."

Yes we are an exclusive group (only a Star Trek fan watches Star Trek)

And yes we share an artistic interest (TV is a form of art)

And yes we share an intellectial interest (Star Trek is science fiction which is an intellectual form of art)

So yes we are a "cult" by definition but so are people who belong to book clubs. The negative connotation to cult in this instance is no existant. This talk show probably does not like Star Trek and wishes to put it into a bad light by labelling it as a cult which most people will take negatively. Damned people.

Cause Trekkies/Trekkers Are Seen As The Craziest Fans By The Average Person :)