Sign in to follow this  
Indy

William Shatner

From TrekToday.com:

By Caillan

February 27, 2004 - 11:03 AM

William Shatner (James T. Kirk) yesterday joined the growing ranks of big-name actors who have signed up for guest shots on The Practice this season.

The Star Trek actor has been tapped to play a pivotal recurring role as the head of a competing law firm on David E. Kelley's legal drama, trade paper Variety reported.

Shatner will reportedly appear in four of the final six episodes of the show's eighth season, with an option to appear in further instalments. He will share the screen with Australian actor Vince Colosimo (The Secret Life of Us), who has been cast in the role of Shatner's junior partner.

With an Emmy nomination for playing "The Big Giant Head" on The Third Rock From The Sun, Shatner is certainly no stranger to showy guest roles. His character on The Practice, Danny Crane, is described as a "power-hungry, eccentric legal legend", who will reportedly play a large part in the season's climactic story arc.

The Practice, which was awarded the Best Drama Series Emmy in 1999, was on the verge of cancellation last season, but in a cost-cutting measure David E. Kelley sacked many of the principal cast members. This year he has populated the show with big-name guest stars such as Sharon Stone and Chris O'Donnell and veteran television actor Adam Arkin (Chicago Hope, The West Wing).

Shatner's episodes will likely air in April and May this year.

I don't usually watch this show, but I might catch it to see Shatner. It sounds like a good role for him. I'm also looking forward to seeing him in a more serious role, as I thought his role in 'The Third Rock From The Sun' was a little "over the top."

Anybody watch this show on a regular basis? Are you looking forward to seeing Shatner in it?

I rarely, if ever, watch The Practice, but this will probably be a big career boost for Shatner. I might tune in just to see how his acting skills are nowadays. :quark:

i dis-agree

You disagree with what? :b-day:

I was wondering about that to. :quark:

I probably wont be tuning into those episodes of the Practice, I think something else we like to watch is on at that time.

yea i might catch it.. im not sure.. i think that the person disagrees that it will b a career boost for shatner, i think hes an alright actor, ive heard rumors hes not the greatest person though

I've only actually watched a handful of episodes of The Practise, but I can tell you it is engaging. I will definately be tuning in or at least taping it to catch Shatner's performances. And yes, his roll as the Big Head or whatever he was called in Third Rock was over the top --- but then again the show required it. The whole thing was over the top ... but funny! I've seen Shatner in a variety of things. He's a better actor than many give him credit for. I think he'll do fine in this venture. Thanks for the heads up, I would not have known about it.

T'Bree

Hi T'bree, nice to see you here. I totally agree about Shatner's acting ability. I know a lot of people make fun of his 'over-acting' tendencies, but there are times, especially in the ST movies, where I think he does a phenomenal job. I hope I can get control of my TV long enough to catch at least some of the episodes.

Thanks for responding.

Just to clarify, when I said "career boost", I didn't mean long-term as it's usually meant. I mean it will be a short term career boost from doing commercials. :P

Further news from TrekToday:

William Shatner (Captain Kirk), who began shooting an guest spot on The Practice today, could have a recurring role on that series' spinoff.

Dark Horizons reported that although ABC cancelled The Practice yesterday after eight seasons on the air due to declining ratings, the network and producer David E. Kelley have agreed to an "evolution" of the show consisting of a spin-off to be launched during this season's final episodes.

Shatner will film four of the last episodes of The Practice this season, which could lead to a recurring role on the sequel series.

According to Dark Horizons, a new law firm will be introduced in the final episodes of The Practice when Alan Shore (James Spader) is fired and files a wrongful-termination lawsuit against Young, Frutt & Berluti. The firm which represents Shore is headed by Shatner's character.

In the end, said Dark Horizons, Spader's character is expected to join the new firm, along with probable regular cast members Jessica Capshaw and Rhona Mitra.

The original Dark Horizons article should be treated as rumour until ABC confirms any details beyond Shatner's appearances in the final episodes of The Practice this season.

I used to watch this show every week. But not so in the last year or so. However this calls for a "return."

I was looking for this episode with Shatner... has it aired yet? I don't see it in imdb.

Shatner has been confirmed as a regular in "The Practice" spinoff. Here's the article from trektoday:

William Shatner (Captain Kirk) is expected to become a regular in the new spinoff of The Practice on ABC this fall.

As previously reported, Shatner is currently appearing in episodes of The Practice written to set up the spinoff, which will star James Spader in the new drama from producer David E. Kelley.

Yahoo! has reprinted a Hollywood Reporter story about the end of The Practice's eight-year run and the anticipated sequel series.

Danny Crane, Shatner's character, is the senior partner in Crane, Poole & Schmidt - the law firm hired by Alan Shore, played by Spader, to represent him in a wrongful-termination suit against The Practice firm Young, Frutt & Berluti.

Later episodes of The Practice are expected to introduce characters played by Fay Masterson and Lake Bell, both of whom are in talks to star in the spinoff as well as attorneys in the newly introduced firm.

In addition to playing Captain Kirk, Shatner was a regular on the cop show T.J. Hooker and has made numerous other television appearances.

t'mir, I believe the first episode aired last Sunday, but I'm not sure about that.

What time is The Practice on? I may catch those episodes for kicks. I would of been more excited if it was Leonard Nimoy.

I believe it's on Sunday at 10 PM. I also enjoy Leonard Nimoy's work, but I think he is doing very little these days (except for those Priceline commercials). :clap:

I never watch it so it doesn't matter. But then I could watch because of Shatner

Shatner has been confirmed as a regular in "The Practice" spinoff.  Here's the article from trektoday:

William Shatner (Captain Kirk) is expected to become a regular in the new spinoff of The Practice on ABC this fall.

As previously reported, Shatner is currently appearing in episodes of The Practice written to set up the spinoff, which will star James Spader in the new drama from producer David E. Kelley.

Yahoo! has reprinted a Hollywood Reporter story about the end of The Practice's eight-year run and the anticipated sequel series.

Danny Crane, Shatner's character, is the senior partner in Crane, Poole & Schmidt - the law firm hired by Alan Shore, played by Spader, to represent him in a wrongful-termination suit against The Practice firm Young, Frutt & Berluti.

Later episodes of The Practice are expected to introduce characters played by Fay Masterson and Lake Bell, both of whom are in talks to star in the spinoff as well as attorneys in the newly introduced firm.

In addition to playing Captain Kirk, Shatner was a regular on the cop show T.J. Hooker and has made numerous other television appearances.

t'mir, I believe the first episode aired last Sunday, but I'm not sure about that.

Oh my gosh! :o Captain Kirk and Dr. Jackson practicing law together? This I gotta see! :o :P

What time is The Practice on? I may catch those episodes for kicks. I would of been more excited if it was Leonard Nimoy.

I tend to agree, Data, however, I've had opportunities to watch "The Practice" since my wife enjoys it, & I've found Shatner's character to be rather eclectic & interesting. He's certainly not Kirk-like, but interesting nonetheless. Overall, the series is fairly good, & the character interaction can be thought-provoking. Of course, it's set in an environment of law offices & courts instead of " frontiers where no man has gone before", but it has proven to be appealing, given the interaction of the different personalities.

I think I may try to tune in just to see how he's coming along. I don't think it matters what he does, he'll always be remembered for his role as Captain James T. Kirk.