Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock

The only high light for me was the Excelsior. The Genesis planet looked rubbish. Would have been better if filmed out on location, like in a real jungle and then the Arctic... i know, i know...budget etc etc. :)

One off the guys working on SFS wanted to go to a real jungle but was outvoted by the rest. Then when a fire happened on the set he hoped it would burn it down so they could go on location.

The only high light for me was the Excelsior. The Genesis planet looked rubbish. Would have been better if filmed out on location, like in a real jungle and then the Arctic... i know, i know...budget etc etc. :)

While ST 3 was clearly done on a small budget when compared to ST1, I still believe that creativly it is one of the best films in the series. I thought that the planet looked a lot more realistic than the Genesis Cave in ST2 and the film has some of the best lines and scenes of any ST film. And of course we also have the best death scene in ST3 i.e. the death of the Enterprise, which I find very dramatic along with James Horner's fantastic score.

I loved this movie. McCoy goes crazy, Spock's inside McCoy's head, Enterprise decommissioned, Enterprise stolen, Enterprise destroyed, the Excelsior, Sulu beats up a security guard, the Genesis planet, Klingons, Vulcan, this movie had it all! My only complaint was that Uhura's role was minimal. :)

I thought a lot of parts were cheesy due to the sets and that animal that the Klingon captain had as a pet was the worse of all. Plus, the Klingon bridge looked pretty bad. The actual story was good though and it had a lot of key moments and points in Star Trek history.

ive only recentley started watching the original cast movies, and when i first saw st III i thought it was really stupid. what ruined it was just how cheesy the whole spock as a kid to adult thing was. it was pretty dumb. also, i couldnt get over the fact that the villain was the doc from back to the future!

but, since i have watched it multiple times i really like it now. i have gotten over the aspects that i didnt like. it wouldve been an excellent movie if they found a better and less cheesy way to revive spock.

I thought it was a ok ST film the best part was the build up to the stealing of the enterprise which has some funny moments one that springs to mind is scotty in the turbo lift on the excelsior and the computer says to him "have a nice day""...ans scotty replys "up your shaft" :b-day::b-day::b-day:

I just never understood how the Klingons can blow up a Starfleet ship (the Grissom), violate Federation space, try to steal a Federation project (Genesis) and kill a Federation scientist (David) and the Federation does nothing about it???

Talk about appeasement!!!!!

:flowers:

Ah but weren't those Klingons more or less pirates: acting without the consent of the Klingon Government.? I hate that in the movies. Klingons are only really bad when they arent acting for the government. It's like the Klingons aren't bad: just a few rogue ones that always pop up in movies...

I loved this movie.  McCoy goes crazy, Spock's inside McCoy's head, Enterprise decommissioned, Enterprise stolen, Enterprise destroyed, the Excelsior, Sulu beats up a security guard, the Genesis planet, Klingons, Vulcan, this movie had it all!  My only complaint was that Uhura's role was minimal. :unsure:

10737[/snapback]

I liked the movie for those very reasons. I don't think I ever did hate this movie, but yes it is kind of lame to have Christopher Lloyd play the main villain in the movie, he doesn't really make a good Klingon, but he isn't terrible.

The only high light for me was the Excelsior. The Genesis planet looked rubbish. Would have been better if filmed out on location, like in a real jungle and then the Arctic... i know, i know...budget etc etc. :unsure:

While ST 3 was clearly done on a small budget when compared to ST1, I still believe that creativly it is one of the best films in the series. I thought that the planet looked a lot more realistic than the Genesis Cave in ST2 and the film has some of the best lines and scenes of any ST film. And of course we also have the best death scene in ST3 i.e. the death of the Enterprise, which I find very dramatic along with James Horner's fantastic score.

10691[/snapback]

Of course the Genesis planet look better than the Genesis cave. The cave was nothing more than a really big painting with a few props in from and a little animation. The planet was a LOT of props.

I just never understood how the Klingons can blow up a Starfleet ship (the Grissom), violate Federation space, try to steal a Federation project (Genesis) and kill a Federation scientist (David) and the Federation does nothing about it???

Don't forget that the Klingon ambassador went to Earth and claimed that Kirk stole the Klingon ship and murdered it's crew, and all the UFP did was try to calm him. Until, of course, Sarek came in and stated the facts and then blatantly accused the Klingons of murder...

Sarak rocks the house, wishfire! I love it when he shows up and lays the smack down on that Klingon ambassador.

I didn't mind this movie so much. In fact, I really liked it. I wish that Kirstie Alley had come back, but the other girl did o.k.

I didn't find the reviving of Spock cheesy at all ... I was just happy to see him alive in any form.

McCoy is always entertaining, even more so when he's losing his mind and carrying around Spock's soul.

The whole thing is a nice set up for The Voyage Home and really TWOK/SFS/TVH is just one long three part episode. We always watch them as a trilogy.

On a side note, I always thought that they should have had Carol Markeson (sp?) with Kirk in the Nexxus in Generations. It would have been a nice tie-in and made more sense to us for Kirk to have been with Carol rather than some no name person we had never heard of before. (Likewise, Picard's imaginary wife should have been Beverly and not some anonymous woman in a 19th century costume ... but that is another topic).

Edited by gul_nodrog

:unsure:

269758[/snapback]

You have to remember that, except for one science vessle to oversee the failed experiment, Genesis was off-limits to Federation personnel. That means there wouldn't have been a massive amount of ships in the area. The only other ship in the area was the Enterprise which was undermaned and were renegades themselves. Obviously they couldn't warn the Federation without exposing themselves. That's why the investigation couldn't take place until The Voyage Home (although presumably Saavik would have informed Starfleet when she was on Vulcan with the renegade crew).

I've always felt that Trek 3 was one of the most under-appreciated films in the series. It has a great story, a great villian and is the 2nd part of one huge story. The trilogy of Trek's 2,3 & 4 have always been my favorite movies of the franchise.

But once Sarak made the accusation, which was probably confirmed by Kirk and his crew later, wouldn't the Federation want to take some kind of action against the Klingon Empire for not controlling their officers?

They destroyed the Grissom and killed a Federation scientist and tried to seize another Federation starship. When Kirk and McCoy were placed on trial for Gorkon's murder, General Chang stated that a commander should be responsible for the actions of his crew, so surely the Klingon government would be responsible for their officers too?

not some anonymous woman in a 19th century costume.

Yeah, what was the deal with that??? Why were all those kids dressed like fools too??? :blink:

And it was a bit stupid to have a different "Robert Picard". Couldn't they have found an actor who at least vaguely looked like the other actor who played him in "Brothers". :unsure:

Edited by The King

But once Sarak made the accusation, which was probably confirmed by Kirk and his crew later, wouldn't the Federation want to take some kind of action against the Klingon Empire for not controlling their officers?

279663[/snapback]

What action wopuld you have suggested the Federation take? Go to war over the loss of 2 ships and 1 crew and ignore the probe that was "attacking" Earth?

I agree with some of you that this film isn't the best of the lot, but I have since made peace with the plot points that failed in my estimation and come to enjoy it on the whole. My favorite part from the beginning and always of this movie, has been the ritual of Fal tor pan. In this moment we get a bird's eye view into the heart and soul of Vulcan mysticism. And we get Spock back! I definitely view it as part two of a trilogy. But don't forget, Star Trek V comes fast on its heels. If you listen to Scotty's opening report, he mentions Kirk's ending words from Star Trek III , "Let's see what she's (the new Enterprise) got." So, it can't take place more than six months or so later in the timeline, whatever length a starship takes for a shakedown cruise.

T'Bree

I think that the search for spock was indeed a great movie. Sometimes it not about the production it is all about the actor that make the movie the graphic or production. I think that all the actors and actoresses did a great job. Bring book characters to life not that is a hrd thing to do my friend.

Lursa