Sign in to follow this  

This is a question aimed mainly at the American members f this forum. Do you watch much British televison and what do you think of it in comparision to US televion? Do you have a favourate British show? Why is that Americans pronounce Monty Python as "Monty Pyth-ON"?

Im from Northern Ireland and I think that British television sucks. Irish television is even worse! From Britain, Monty Python was probably the most successful export to America out of every thing. I think that the difference in pronounciation is called AN ACCENT :o Sometimes a different accent will make things sound different :o (duh) Recently 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire', 'Pop Rival/Idol/Whatever' and 'The Weakest Link' have been most popular in America. But nowadays when I put the telly on it's either Gardening, Selling Your Home, Cookery or an ITV Drama Premier - flippin Sarah Lancaster as a one legged lesbian nurse living in Scarborough or something....dear dear!

I think that the difference in pronounciation is called AN ACCENT  :o  Sometimes a different accent will make things sound different  :o (duh)

Ahhh, now it all makes sense, my eyes are opened and I have seen the light, now I can see the folly of my ways. Thank you for pointing that out for me. :bow:

I have BBC America on my satellite system. And I have to say that I have enjoyed watching, especially Absolutely Fabulous. I don't have a favorite show but I compare the production values of what I see. And strange as it may sound, the one show I'm catching alot of are re-runs of the old Avengers series from the 1960's. The ones that are in black and white. That show was really ahead of its time. I do think that British tv is still a bit stiff but at the same time, takes a lot of chances when it comes portraying attitudes and subjects, in other words, a little more guts and less pc. I like that.

I have BBC America on my satellite system.  And I have to say that I have enjoyed watching,  especially Absolutely Fabulous. I don't have a favorite show but I compare the production values of what I see.  And strange as it may sound, the one show I'm catching alot of are re-runs of the old Avengers series from the 1960's.  The ones that are in black and white.  That show was really ahead of its time.  I do think that British tv is still a bit stiff but at the same time, takes a lot of chances when it comes portraying attitudes and subjects, in other words, a little more guts and less pc.  I like that.

Good Man!!! :o

We do get the best of British tv over in North America probably. I'm in Canada so we get some nice imports on Canadian television as well as from the US channels on our cable.

I'm really behind on Coronation Street right now but I have a few friends who are daily watchers (we're about 2 months behind the British airings).

With respect to comedies, here are some of my favourites:

Monty Python and Fawlty Towers of course. I enjoy watching Keeping Up Appearances (that Hyacinth Bucket!). OMG there are so many my brain is on overload. I agree Ab Fab was great too.

Does anyone remember a comedy series called 'Allo 'Allo? It was hysterical. It took place in occupied France during WWII. All of the characters would talk with accents so you would know who is French and German, etc. The French and German could understand each other but no one could understand the "stupid Englishman who thinks he can speak French". :o I haven't seen it on tv for ages.

I have enjoyed all of the sci-fi series I have seen, Hitchhikers, Blake’s 7 etc and I'm not sure if they apply to this question but a film production co. called ITC did another fav of mine, Space 1999 and finally, I dig The Thunderbirds!

My friend Roger and his friend Matt are huge fans of Monty Python, however, the humor seems to escape me. :o

A lot of the humour is related to events and topics of the time that it was made, therefore it is harder for fans of the show who either do not live in the UK or do not know much about the references that are made.

I have enjoyed all of the sci-fi series I have seen, Hitchhikers, Blake’s 7 etc and I'm not sure if they apply to this question but a film production co. called ITC did another fav of mine, Space 1999 and finally, I dig The Thunderbirds!

Never really a big fan of Space 1999 myself, as I always prefered the Gerry Anderson show called UFO instead. I too like Thunderbirds and I am also a fan of Captain Scarlett.

I get BBC America and I watch Absolutly Fabulous and Monty Python whenever I can. I've been a big Monty Python fan since the film "Search for the Holy Grail" ( She turned me into a newt!)

I don’t really watch that many British programs.

I do know that a lot of PBS’s TV shows are in fact British (mainly the shows that are on late)

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I am a huge Monty Python fan (they are pure genius - although I think Prometheus has a point about the accents), and I Watch Keeping Up Appearances, and I'd LIKE to watch Faulty Towers, but I never know when its on. But Monty Python always cracks me up. It's great for when I'm ina bad mood! (second hand electric donkey bottom biters - WHERE do they come up with it??? :))

I'm Australian and on our tv we see many shows from the United Kingdom, Ireland and also the USA. The UK and Irish shows tend to relate to my sense of humour more than the American shows.

Loved: (too many to list)

Hitch Hikers' Guide to the Galaxy, Red Dwarf, 'Allo 'Allo, Absolutely Fabulous, Fawlty Towers, Keeping Up Appearances, Monty Python, Ballykissangel, Heartbeat, Parkinson, Hamish McBeth, All Creatures Great and Small, Blake's Seven, Father Ted, My Hero...... :laugh:

Have to say I tend to watch ABC more than the other stations as they broadcast more UK shows and Australian content than the commercial stations.

Mind you I like: Star Trek, Stargate, The Guardian...........

Monthy Python is great, otherwise most of British TV sucks.. My mother watches a lot of it and I can't stand it, that's why I never visit my parents at TV-times :laugh:

I tend to watch more British TV, I have BBC America, plus what ever is on PBS. I watch Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, Coupling, Chef, Are you Being Served?, Doctor Who, BBC World News, Mr. Bean, etc. I rarely watch US Network TV, the only things I watch are The Simpsons, Enterprise and everything else is on cable, and that isn't that much. US TV is to watered down for me, course it could be i've been spoiled by British TV.

Gah! I forgot about Mr Bean! Oh well, haven't watched that in a while. I'd like to see Faulty Towers, though.

For anyone who is interested, Fawlty Towers is now available on DVD. The 3 disk set includes every episode of Fawlty Towers and interviews with the cast.

For anyone who is interested, Fawlty Towers is now available on DVD.  The 3 disk set includes every episode of Fawlty Towers and interviews with the cast.

Wow, cool! Can you rent them? Cuz I'd really like to see it, but I dunno when it's on or anything...But I guess I'm gonna have to wait a while to buy - I still need TNG, the other star treks, Friends, AND Flying Circus. Damn the DVDs! Why do they all have to be so good?

I've gotten to like some Brit TV over the years. Keeping Up Appearances, Are You Being Served?, Whose Line, As Time Goes By, Doctor Who, and All Creatures Great and Small.

And what's wrong with liking The Avengers? I have over half the series on boxed set tape/DVD, and get more each birthday/Christmas. Ach, my wounded pride! :rolleyes:

I used to love keeping up appearances, but I really can't stand are you being served...(which is good because it means I actualy get to sleep before 2-o-clock!)

I'm Australian and on our tv we see many shows from the United Kingdom, Ireland and also the USA. The UK and Irish shows tend to relate to my sense of humour more than the American shows.

Loved: (too many to list)

Hitch Hikers' Guide to the Galaxy, Red Dwarf, 'Allo 'Allo, Absolutely Fabulous, Fawlty Towers, Keeping Up Appearances, Monty Python, Ballykissangel, Heartbeat, Parkinson, Hamish McBeth, All Creatures Great and Small, Blake's Seven, Father Ted, My Hero...... :rolleyes:

Have to say I tend to watch ABC more than the other stations as they broadcast more UK shows and Australian content than the commercial stations.

Mind you I like: Star Trek, Stargate, The Guardian...........

Listen very carefully I shall say this only once:

Another 'Allo 'Allo fan!!! I loved that series! It hasn't been on tv here for such a long time but it's sooooo funny! I was always amazed by that actor who played "that stupid Englishman who thinks he can speak French" for having to learn that dialogue!!! I wonder where the painting of "the Madonna with the big boobies" is now! :rolleyes:

I love Ab Fab and Monty Python. Totally funny. I loved the Eddy/Patsi cameo in Roseanne. Very funny. I wonder if they still show Ab Fab???

Personally, I am a big fan of it... :hammer:

Maybe my username sums it up :boxing: , fan of Doctor Who and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (I lean more towards the books and radio shows though...), and several others...

If had the chance, I'd watch more of it, specifically of sci-fi, since it's not very popular here in southern California... :boxing:

I am a big fan of The Avengers *owns every Mrs. Emma Peel episode on DVD* and now becoming an even bigger fan of The Prisoner. :eekout: Thus so with Monty Python's Flying Circus, I like All Creatures Great and Small, and a couple others...

I'd really like to see Blake's 7, and more of Gerry Anderson's science-fiction series... Like UFO or Space: 1999...

Frankly, I have only seen The Thunderbirds (and a few of their movies..).

Be seeing you.... :rofl:

lastresort.jpg42.gif

I like

Are You Being Served and Monty Python.

The rest is really pointless.