Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Using profanity in posts

Everyone knows that profanity is not permitted in postings. Not all variations of of profane words are in the profanity filter but everyone knows which words are considered profanity and which aren't. The use of profanity in posts is considered as offensive and will be edited out. Continued use of words that are known to be offensive and unacceptable will cause all of the offender's future postings to be screened and approved by the Mods before they show up on the message board.

How much of this crackdown on profanity can be attributed to the highly and hotly debated Military posts? it seams that alot of us posting there seem to lose our cool when posting.

I think oyu have a valid point as to losing you cool, but you have to keep in mind that some of our members are minors and really shouldn't have to read through the profanity just to find the initial purpose of the post. You can use a variety of acceptible words to convey your emotions. Just don't use the ones that'll get you in trouble.

How much of this crackdown on profanity can be attributed to the highly and hotly debated Military posts? it seams that alot of us posting there seem to lose our cool when posting.

:huh:

In the last couple of days my assessment on how much of it was due to military based posts is 55% (but the real trouble with those topics had to do with name calling & insults), 30% regarding the F word thread, (but those examples were sort of on topic) 10% goes to the bert & ernie thread (now locked forever) and 5% had to do with the homosexual thread (more implied name calling than actual profanity.)

:dude: I'm sure I assimilated most of them out but if anyone sees something I missed let me know and I'll have another look.

:) Exacatly bones88

If you're meaning the homosexual thread I never said you did.

When you have time, could you post which curse words are censorred? Example: a-word. I'll figure it out.

(more implied name calling than actual profanity.)

Why would you want that anyway? :huh:

Stardate:214410.7

Will I will admit I have put some profanity in some of posts from time to time and for that I apologise..I didn't relize that it was that serious so I will try to quit altogether.

Except for the F- Word thread.That was on topic. :huh:

I think that everyone should be able to use common sense to understand what words that they should not be using when they post, so I don't see why it would be necessary for anyone to post a list of the words that should not be posted.

None at all. This has actually been the policy all along. I saw some profanity that the filter didn't catch though and even though it was known to be profanity it was continued to be used in further posts.

So there isn't a crack down, just a reiteration of the rules.

I do not curse, but I'm currious.  When you have time, could you post which curse words are censorred?  Example: a-word.  I'll figure it out. :huh:

There's several words in the filter, as I see some that weren't included I add them. You can pretty much figure that the "classic" profanity is there. Along with the most widley used racial slur and others. I add to the list as needed though.

I noticed the word do(I'm trying to say a bad word but can't)entary gets a flag?

d o c u m e n t a r y

I see the problem TUH

Click for Spoiler:

The word C U M is inside that word

I do not curse, but I'm currious.  When you have time, could you post which curse words are censorred?  Example: a-word.  I'll figure it out. :huh:

There's several words in the filter, as I see some that weren't included I add them. You can pretty much figure that the "classic" profanity is there. Along with the most widley used racial slur and others. I add to the list as needed though.

Now I understand why.

I noticed the word documentary gets a flag?

d o c u m e n t a r y

I see the problem TUH

Click for Spoiler:

The word C U M is inside that word

That's because of a loose interpretation of the full word. I'll fix that.

Ya know, Sailors and Marines are notorious for swearing. perticularly Marine Drill Instructors. so, if Jim and I can refrain from swearing, why can't everyone else? What is their major malfunction? <J/K>

I had a problem writing S N I G G E R S because of the middle word, which I won't say!

I had a problem writing S N I G G E R S because of the middle word, which I won't say!

I don't think I've ever heard that word. What is it?

Unadopted Angelic seems to have left so I'll field this one. I wondered about it's meaning too, I looked it up on the odd chance it was listed and sure enough...

snig·ger n.

A snicker.

intr.v. snig·gered, snig·ger·ing, snig·gers

To snicker.

[Perhaps alteration of snicker.]

I must be so British, Snickers is the same thing. I'll use that from here on out if the other seems so foreign *shrugs* it's all the english language.

Edited by Unadopted Angelic

Possibly, Unadopted, it could be that this forum's censors were tailored to the American Dialect of English. we spell certain things differently than the English do, and there are a few differences in word meanings. for example, Brits and Australians refere to men as "Blokes", whereas in America, they are "Dudes" or "Guys". and if I recall correctly, "Bloody" is an Expletive.

heehee,

i remember on Jay And Silent bob Strike Back the reporter women reading a statement from them, it was so funny, it was like...

and i will Expletive-deleted your fat expletive-deleted and expletive-deleted it was so funny :rofl:

Edited by LordOfTheBorg

Instead of using colorful expletives, maybe this would work -

expletive!

It takes so long to do, that by the time you're done, you're not mad anymore! B)