Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Disagreements in discussions

I just wanted to make a posting about disagreements that arise in postings. Sometimes we all may have a tendency to disagree with others when discussing some things. I too have had times where I disagreed with something that was posted and I've posted my opposing view. Sometimes that sparks even more discussion about the topic and at times things may seem or become a little heated in the discussion.

I am of the opinion that that is when we learn the most as individuals. It's when we get differing points of view that we can evaluate our own points of view and either strengthen what we believe or on occasion change our point of view based on information given by someone else.

So when anyone sees me in a discussion where I am disagreeing with another member, it's for a couple reasons. Firstly I want to let my view known and what I base my view on. Secondly I want to know what other differing points of view are so I can learn what others may know about the topic. There may be an exchange of posts as to why we feel differently about the other person's views but that's all part of the discussion process and part of the learning process.

Basically I think we should look at disagreements as opportunities to learn from and about each other.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that.

Federation President

The President???

Oh my God!!!

Well, since you're the boss on this site, I'd just like to say that I agree with you Mr. President, on everything you just posted. Even if I ever disagreed with something you said, I'd STILL agree with you.

:) "It never hurts to suck up to the boss" ;)

Best Regards Mr. President

*salutes*

Lt. Commander William X. Stryker

:) ;);)

Edited by William Stryker

Basically I think we should look at disagreements as opportunities to learn from and about each other.

I agree with you, VBG. Nicely worded. And when people do disagree (with a few exceptions) they are not trying to insult the other person. I always keep that in mind when posting in Risa. They are just stating their opinion.

Even if I ever disagreed with something you said, I'd STILL agree with you.

I hope that won't be the case, if you disagree about something with me please say so and why. You might just convince me that you are right.

I disagree! Just kidding. actually, I would hope that we can all keep ourselved civil in our disagreements, though it is hard when discussing certain topics. sometimes you get people who say such stupid and uneducated things, you just want to rip their heads off...but hopefully everyone can disagree peacefully.

100 % agreed VBG

For me it's interesting to read other opinions. Sometimes I read points I haven't thought about before. OK, a plain simple statement "I loathe xxxx" bugs me. But I appreciate a well reasoned post - even if I don't agree.

Wouldn't be conversations when everyone shares the same point of view boring after a while?

VBG,

I could not agree more.

Actually, I find the "arguments" more interesting than most of the other threads.

Well said bossman, and I'm NOT sucking up!! Message boards are supposed to be a forum where people can post their views on a certain subjects, and receive replies on that particular subject. I don't mind at all if somebody disagrees with my viewpoint, it would be pretty boring if everybody agreed on everything! However, if somebody DOES disagree with me, don't just post something like..."You're a stupid b__ch." and leave it at that. I'd rather see something like..."I don't agree, and here's why...." Makes for a much more interesting discussion!

Very well spoken VBG, but as always, there were so many words I forgot what i was doing by the end :huh: . J/K. But seriously, I think it's a very big deal for you to point this out because I know alot of people that are new to message boards try to butt heads as little as possible so they won't cause any problems, but in doing this they fail to voice there opinions and we all lose out because of it. Oh, well. I'll shut up now!

We all cant agree on every thing thats normal,and i belive

that every one has there right to there own opinion.

As long as what you have to say is not degrading or abusive

to other people!!!!!!

disagreements are a way of life, its all how you deal with them, and the person your disagreeing with. sometimes debates are fun. and sometime someone might actually change your mind, with their persuasiveness, and views.

I disagree completely and whole heartedly. Just because I love being devil's advocate :eek:

So that's what it is? you disagree just for the sake of disagreeing? Wow. no further comment here, because I can't think of anything nice to say.

I agree that we should all voice our opinions openly here, just not in a manner that is abusive to others. RC and I disagree all the time but we do so in a manner that we still remain very close friends, so it is definitely possible to have differing opinions and to express them without doing so in a way that is insulting to others.

Ya know, there are only a few people I consider "Close friends" here, I hope none of you take that the wrong way, but we generally AGREE on things. Sarge and I, for example, are the tag-team dominators in the Military topics. ask Nemesis, he's been getting blasted for a couple of nights now. Jaina and I manage to avoid disagreements on religion because I word things carefully.

Jim, your in the navy....its not a job....its an adventure.. (Under Seige!?)

hehe

i agree with you there VBG:

. I too have had times where I disagreed with something that was posted and I've posted my opposing view.

remember our sniper argument....man, was that the longest and biggest feud in the history of STF?

Jim, your in the navy....its not a job....its an adventure.. (Under Seige!?)

hehe

i agree with you there VBG:

. I too have had times where I disagreed with something that was posted and I've posted my opposing view.

remember our sniper argument....man, was that the longest and biggest feud in the history of STF?

No, but I never considered it a feud. It was a disagreement that at points became a little heated but that's normal in life.

a LITTLE??? , eh.....oh well, i think i tend to let personal feelings and dodgey dialy events influenece my posts..

That's right Jimmy, it's not a job, it's an adventure1 "Welcome to the US Navy, where we will sail around the world delivering Marines unto those in dire need of some serious a** kicking!"

Hey! that works nicely with your new signature.