Sign in to follow this  
Celtic_Swimmer

HoloDecks

Do u think the Holodecks are realisitc for Future use?? if so how?

and do u think it was Useful in all the Treks?? and what where your favourite Programs??

-Laur :D

Do u think the Holodecks are realisitc for Future use?? if so how?

and do u think it was Useful in all the Treks?? and what where your favourite Programs??

lol i am quoting myself :)

ok i think that holodecks will be created in the future if there not in the works right now.. i think that they will just be used for like day cares and stuff.. and recreation like on the treks..

i also find them VERY useful espically in that episode where Commander Riker had to prove his innocence and used the holodeck to re-create everything..

and i like those Story Book Fairy Tales that Naomi Wildman uses in Voyager on the Holodeck and i Like Picards old style earth programs..

-Laur :)

I agree, in a very real way they are already being created. Not on the scale of Star Trek yet but they are beoming reality.

I remember playing a Virtual Reality game at the mall with my brother, we put helmets on so we could see but it was like we were in the game. If we moved our heads the view in the game moved. We could "Look at eachother" and everything. It was super cool!

I think they will be a reality in 50 years or less. My favorite episodes featuring the holodeck were those two with the Dr. Moriarity (SP?) character, The Entertainment industry is going to benefit the most, imo. Imagine holographic films that occur around you, video games, well, you can imagine all that is possible. Cant wait!

OMG! Movies that arer done around u.. Can u imagine being in a Freddy Kruegar movie?!?!?! ahh i sooo hopeit works and b4 i die.. lol

My Dad bought my lil bro a virtual hockey mask.. u use the stick and shot it into the virtual net.. its awsome..

I'm still not sure how they work, the whole reason i bought the TNG technical manual was for the Holodeck, but i read it i don't know how many times and i still don't get it, how light can cut you, or grass stains on your pants. But i do think they'll be possible.

Holodecks; In Riker's trial, the Holodeck did prove valuable. I have no prediction of when they will appear. In the Star Trek world, they did not appear until the 24th Century. Archer's and Kirk's ships did not have Holodecks.

Holdecks: Cool!!! :D

I think they will eventually become a reality. Actually, the best ideas I thought for use of the holodecks are:

1. Fake places - like when professor moriorty (sp?) made it seem like Picard and Data never left the Holodeck!

2. Simulated Ships - They should have holographic ships! Cheap to make - If your enemy sees 100 ships (when you actually only have 25) they might retreat because you look like you have 3 times as many ships! Also, if they do battle you, they will waste a lot of fire on fake ships!

How they work:

I also happen to have the ST Technical Manual!

They work with a combination of three things:

1. Light (the "photons" they always refer to in VOY episodes)

2. Forcefields - Make most of the texture you feel in holodecks. These forcefields are much more complicated than normal security fields. They cause particles to vibrate in complex wave functions (rather than more efficent simple waveforms for security fields) to generate texture.

3. Instant replicated matter - used on the surface of an object for complex texture. An object is often replicated if you are going to pick it up (or eat it if it was food!) or extensively manipulate it.

Holodecks would be AWSOME!!! In Fact i would Luv to be in one right now.. swimming in a crystal clear ocean with nothing in it to harm me..

OHHH.. in a horror movie with Freddy Kruegar :D

lol

In the approximate words of someone at the 5MV site:

Janeway: I keep on wondering why we use such a faulty piece of technology. And then I remember, I don't have a clue (the 5ers are hilarious by the way. I wrote one. It's not so good, but it's on the site! yay!)

Have you noticed that the holodeck ALWAYS has some sort of problem?

Yep, I noticed all the bugs, seemed every Holodeck ep had something going wrong! But, then again maybe it is just because they(Starfleet) hadn't worked out all the bugs by the time we see them in the series! I kinda like the idea of the holodeck, since it allows you to safely experience scenarios. Like mountain climbing, I'd love to try it, but I live in Florida and the only chance to climb a mountain is A)travel to the mountains, or B)go to a gym that has a rotating rock wall. Plus, the perk of safety protocols means that if I were to fall off said mountain, I'd only sustain minor injuries! Can't beat that, after all I have already sustained enough injuries in my life!

Can you imagine if the Holodeck broke down while you were in there though? You might have to go through the reast of your life not knowing if you were still in the holodeck or in reality. :lol: Kinda freaky to think about.

Can you imagine if the Holodeck broke down while you were in there though?  You might have to go through the reast of your life not knowing if you were still in the holodeck or in reality. :bow: Kinda freaky to think about.

Makes me think of Barclay at the end of Ship in a Bottle after Picard had made the comment about maybe their reality was a holodeck program. :)

Ack! That WOULD be pretty freaky, going around and never knowing if your life is real or a holodeck fantasy. Heck a lot of people are trying to figure that out today, and we don't even HAVE holodecks yet!! Maybe holodecks aren't very good for people on the edge....just look at Barclay in the Nth Degree!!!

I think that holodeck technology will eventually become possible. I also think it could have a possible impact on society. Imagine people having somewhere that they could go to live their dream life for a little while. And not to mention, to let off frustration and anger that they hold within, without taking it out on living people.

Holodecks would be great. imagine going to the most beautiful places on earth, or in your mind. or even just floating in space, without ever leaving the safety of you home, or other such place. virtual reality is a great thing, but its far far far far off of something on the scale of a holodeck. i dont know that something of that scale would ever be possible. i dont remember the episode name but how about that one where they moved a whole race of people from one planet to another by making them go through the holodeck thinking they were on the same planet. come on now how can you keep walking and walking and walking in a square room without ever hitting the wall. whats the ST tech manual say about that? but nonethe less the whole idea of it is AWSOME the things i could do on it. but one really needs to live a real life too. :o

The ST Technical Manual says the reason you can keep walking is the forcefields on the ground create a treadmill effect - exactly countering your forward walking. Therefore you feel as though you are moving, while in actually your just working out!

The ST Technical Manual says the reason you can keep walking is the forcefields on the ground create a treadmill effect - exactly countering your forward walking.  Therefore you feel as though you are moving, while in actually your just working out!

ok, ok, but what about multiple people walking at different paces. one going faster than the other is bound to run into a wall before the other one catches up, wouldnt ya say. :o

The ST Technical Manual says the reason you can keep walking is the forcefields on the ground create a treadmill effect - exactly countering your forward walking.  Therefore you feel as though you are moving, while in actually your just working out!

Oh cool! I always wondered how that worked!

ok, ok, but what about multiple people walking at different paces. one going faster than the other is bound to run into a wall before the other one catches up, wouldnt ya say. :o

The forcefields can move at different speeds and different directions in different places. It can keep multiple people from hitting a wall.

i would like to pose that any given person out there could just be a hologram in disguise seeing as we dont have this technology to detect them i mean what if the future sends back time traveling hologram emitters say... licoln was about announce that slavery should be allowed when they assainated him? interesting idea huh?

WAIt i just had a thought what if im in a holobay and the year is really 5000 stead of 2003 and your all gov agents laughing at me! AHH GO AWAY :blink:

nother thought .... you know how in all series when you need to open a control panel it is automatically part of the enviroment well then if you opened it when you walked around it would staqy the same distance away from you but this is not the case in all of the series hmm?