Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

TOS - Must see?

I have noticed that there is a new breed of fans who are the truest and most loyal fans to the Star Trek franchise, yet are not overly familiar with the original series.

Of course Star Trek has grown so much and fans have the choice of five series and hundreds of episodes so it is most understandable that there will be people who would know more about the newer series. However I would like to know your opinions of TOS:

*Do you consider it worth watching?

*Would you advise people new to the franchise to give it a look?

*Is it exciting or dull for a modern audience?

*Is it still the best or is it out of date rubbish that deserves to be forgotten?

*Are you a modern fan that is interested in seeing more of this show?

What are your thoughts?

I would hope all Trek fans would at least give TOS a chance to prove its self to them.

If you cant get past the look of the series then try turning the picture off and just listen to the audio, (like an audiobook) if what you're hearing starts to draw you into the story (which I'm sure it will) then turn the picture back on but keep your attention tuned to the drama.

If you have not seen TOS I would have to say at least try to watch it. I would sugest an ep from the first or second season first but their is only a few TOS ep that I won't watch. The stories are very good and are still revilent to todays times.

I think TOS is a must see and I still find the stories relevant today. It distresses me a little that some of the modern Trek fans don't want to see it..It is where Star Trek began and even if you find the effects and sets boring I really feel every fan should try to watch them. At least a few of the better shows from the 1st and 2nd season..TOS is very character and story driven which is why I feel the episodes are still good today..All us fans should continue to watch them..Can't wait for the DVDs..

I love TOS and think if you have never seen it you should!!

Dont expect top class effects because you wont see any,

and what you have to remember is this show was made in

the 60's so you wont be seeing any CGI.

But they are still good fun to watch,so watch them!!!!!!!!! :clap:

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE :frusty:

I am a big fan of the visual aspects of Star Trek and the special effects, even when the story is weak sometimes. So from that perspective, TOS can be a little slow and visually unappealing to my tastes. However, the storylines are often brilliant. And the show has a nostalgic 'feel' that reminds me of watching tv at my granda's house as a child. So from those perspective it is highly enjoyable and well worth watching.

I think TOS is definitely worth watching. TOS is "pure" Star Trek for me. And I'm a fan of Star Trek - so I highly respect TOS. Without TOS there wouldn't have been TNG, DS9 and so on.

So, TOS deserves my respect. And the episodes may look old, but the stories are still awesome. :frusty:

Mrs. Captain Picard

Oh, definitely.

I sure would.

Star Trek is very exciting. A good series like this remains just as exciting today as it was when it first came out.

*Is it still the best or is it out of date rubbish that deserves to be forgotten?

It is still just wonderful. The episodes are so full of thought-provoking meaning. The stories Star Trek told were real and entertaining, and they still are. The characters are believable and lovable. I know it is said a lot, but the relationship between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy is so unique and special, and no series has created a bond quite like that. TOS episodes seem to flow so easy and smooth. There are so many underlying subtleties that are hardly noticeable, but add substance. Star Trek may be "old," but the stories it tells, the characters it presents, and the overall "feel" it creates are all still relevant in today's world. Star Trek is built around ideals; and these ideals are still sought today.

I started getting into Star Trek almost two years ago. My interest was started by TNG, and later, Voyager. I had also seen a couple of TOS episodes. For the longest time, though, all I could watch was Voyager, because I didn't have cable TV. So I suppose you can call me a "modern" fan. As soon as I got cable, I found out when TOS came on and watched it. It appealed just as much, and probably even more, then the previous series I had seen. I think I've seen most of the TOS episodes. There might be one or two I haven't caught.

The special effects on TOS might not be as good as those today, but that's a bad reason for not watching the show. The show isn't about the effects, and it shouldn't rely on them. Effects only serve to enhance the show. What really makes the show is the story, the characters, and the ideas being presented. I think TOS is the most creative series, in many aspects, and that is probably partly because the effects couldn't run the whole show.

The Horta might just look like a guy crawling around underneath a big, shaggy carpet, but "The Devil in the Dark" is a wonderful, exciting, and enjoyable episode that still has many messages, ideas, and themes applicable to today.

Absolutely. Even after all these years. it is still excellent viewing.

Yes. it would show people where it all started. It might help them appreciate how long Star Trek has lasted. It has had such a long life, because the overall message behind the show is the future can be better. Star Trek is one of the few Sci-Fi shows that says that the future will be a place you would want to live. We just have to work hard to achieve it.

Exciting. Thoughtful, insightful, and it fills you with hope. If they can be persuaded to stop watching nonsense like Punk'd, Newlyweds, Jack@$$ and all the other trash that fills our screens these days. They would see how intelligent entertainment can be.

I believe that Deep Space Nine is the best Star Trek series, followed by TNG and then TOS. The issues and message behind the episodes are still relevant. More improtnantly are the characters. Even now, they are likable, you develop a real warmth towards them. All had depth, which was expanded into the movies. All were very different in terms of their personalities and the central trio of Kirk, Bones and Spock is still in my opinion, the best friendship between characters ever seen on TV. it wasn't a perfect friendship, but they stayed together.

I'm 23 so I TNG was my introduction to the Trek universe. I don't think anything more should be added to TOS, but it doesn't need to be. It remains as good as it can be and I beleive is essential and compelling viewing.

:frusty::clap::eek:

Edited by William Stryker

you believe that the newer breed of Trekfan are the "truest and most loyal" fans?! How dare you?That is one of the most arrogant statements I have read on this message board (with no basis in truth BTW). You newbies should get your Trek history straight before you start insulting the older who went to the mat with a massive letter writting campaign to save Trek from cancellation. We were obsessive enough to create the first Trek Conventions. We campaigned for the first NASA space shuttle to be named "Enterprise" as well as lobbied for the first Star Trek film. I for one call that true and loyal. What have you guys really done?

As for your question. You absolutly should watch TOS. Not all the episodes are great but you can say that about all of the other shows. Pay attention to the stories and character interaction more than what it looks like. Remember it was a product and reflection of it's time. When I was younger whenever i found something i liked, tv shows, music, books, movies etc. I tried to find out what their past influences were and what initially influenced that and so on going back as far as i could go. My world opened up to new wonders and experiences that i never would have had otherwise. Because i had an open mind and was willing to give new a AND OLD things a try i have become a better more well rounded person. In the TNG episode "Relics" geordie says 'Just because something is old doesn't mean you throw it away."

BTW i did read your profile information/ intrests and that's why i am shocked that someone with vaired intrests and intelligance should begin your post with such an insulting statement. I noticed you neglected to mention your birthday. I wonder why?

Edited by SpaceHippie

I'm only 17 but I grew up on TOS. At the same time I was also watching TNG and VOY. DS9 is the only series I wasn't too familar with (however, I've been watching it lately and quite enjoying it). Star Trek is all about TOS. I believe you can be a true fan and only watch the newer shows; however if you've never seen an episode from TOS... you're missing something. Sure, the look of it is a little outdated, but that only helps me focus more on the plot and the acting. TOS is the birth of Star Trek, the very foundation of it all. If you love Star Trek, you need to see at least a couple TOS episodes. Nothing beats getting a group of Trekkies together and pulling out "A Piece of the Action"...

Nothing beats getting a group of Trekkies together and pulling out "A Piece of the Action"...

:laugh: That was the first episode of Trek that I ever owned on video! :waaaa:

If You "Loved" the episode " A Piece of the Action" than i can't understadnd why you would ask anyone why you should watch TOS in the first place.

Edited by SpaceHippie

I've been thinking about something that I can't quite put into words. It seems that TOS had a certain "maturity" that the other series didn't have. Oh, I know they have pushed the envelope with "adult themes" like in ENT but that isn't maturity.

Going back to City on the Edge of Forever, how the unspoken acknowledgement between Spock and Kirk that Spock knew Kirk was developing feelings for Edith. Maybe it was just really good acting and character development but they understood "things of consequence".

I wish the other series had that much depth. Yes, definitely should watch.

Nothing beats getting a group of Trekkies together and pulling out "A Piece of the Action"...

:clap: That was the first episode of Trek that I ever owned on video! :wub:

If You "Loved" the episode " A Piece of the Action" than i can't understadnd why you would ask anyone why you should watch TOS in the first place.

The question in this topic is not a personal one as I have been watching TOS as far back as I can remember. The issue that this topic is looking at regards more modern fans and the original Star Trek's place for todays audience.

Personally I consider TOS to be my favorite and the best.

:wub: That was the first episode of Trek that I ever owned on video! :clap:

The question in this topic is not a personal one as I have been watching TOS as far back as I can remember. The issue that this topic is looking at regards more modern fans and the original Star Trek's place for todays audience.

Personally I consider TOS to be my favorite and the best.

Ok I see now. :laugh: When I first read the post I thought you were refering to yourself as a new breed of fan. Sorry about that. :blink:

Ok I see now. :wub: When I first read the post I thought you were refering to yourself as a new breed of fan. Sorry about that. :clap:

No worries. The reason I started this thread is because I noticed that some people were saying they had never seen TOS or were unsure because of the effects, and as a more old style (pre-TNG) Trekkie I was wondering how modern fandom has changed in it's view of this show.

Absolutely! :huh:

I allways do, but sadly, they tell me it's lame becuase of the "old" special effects. :dude:

I say exctiting! Heck, I have a great time seeing TOS episodes I've never seen before or haven't seen for a long time.

It's not the best, but I'd say it's about as good as TV gets. :)

Yep. I've only seen about 10-20 episodes. :)

Yes, it is worth viewing. Yes, some of you spoiled with SGI and the like will notice a difference, but as it's been stated, the stories in Star Trek didn't rely on such effects. I grew up watching a black and white tv set because color sets were so expensive. I was in junior high before my grandfather gave us his old cast off color tv! What a difference, lol. Yet today I can still greatly enjoy an old B & W film on a five inch screen, no less ... perhaps having less is better, as it expanded my horizens of appreciation.

That being said, this show holds up against the tide. And I have to agree with Unicorn Hunter (hope I got your sn right) that the original, Star Trek, was mature in its delivery of said stories. Yes, it had the obligatory eye-candy, (Gene Roddenberry himself suggested sexism abounded on the show ),yet it was not what the show relied upon to be successful. Therein lay the difference. We were treated to an intellectual viewpoint, not mere sex appeal, which in turn paradoxically, made the show quite "sexy".

To all of you who are "new" to Trek, do not discount this show. Turn off your "need the flash and clamor of special effects" critic and just watch it, or listen to it, as another poster stated. Open up your minds, remember this is vintage tv, and let it take you on a journey. The human adventure starts here!

T'Bree

I think they should at least give it a chance. The origins are important even if you're not a fan of them.

As a new fan to the show, yes I consider it worth watching. It's what started it all, and needs to be respected.

Yes, see above

It's a bit of both, but the audience needs to go in with an open mind. That's what Star Trek is all about.

I wouldn't say it's the best (I am a new fan) but it's not out of date. There are many episodes, A Taste of Armageddon, Devil in the Dark, etc, that are still relevent to this day.

Yes, and I'm glad I'm buying the DVDs.

TOS started it all. I love it. While not the greatest acting or special effects, it was the 60's, and it was a great show, for what it was. :P

I always feel badly when I, or others, speak with people on the 'Net & they don't know to what we are referring (regarding a TOS episode). I like the other Trek incarnations; however, to me there was something special about the show that started it all. Perhaps it was Roddenberry's vision; his constant battles with NBC and the censors -- or simply the fact that it's truly the roadmap for the Treks that followed.

If you're able to see it, don't miss it! But you've got to watch it with an open mind -- remembering when it was made and what monetary and other constraints TPTB were under (however, that doesn't excuse them for the much of the last half of Season 3 -- when Roddenberry was no longer doing much writing -- :biggrin: )

***My goodness, I know who TC1 from Seattle is*** :wink_kiss:

Edited by athena28