Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Voyager's Landing Ability

Voyager landed a total of 6 times with 1 crash landing in an alternate timeline, in the below episodes:

2-01 The 37's

2-26 Basics, Part I

3-01 Basics, Part II

4-24 Demon

5-06 Timeless (crash landing in alternate timeline)

6-07 Dragon's Teeth

7-08 Nightingale

What did you think of Voyager's ability to land on a planet? Would you like to have seen more landings, or perhaps an episode that began and ended with Voyager on the surface of a planet?

I think we saw enough landings, but 2 or 3 more wouldn't hurt. :lol: I would have liked to see an episode that began and ended with Voyager on the surface of a planet, just to give us something different.

If you all would like, I could provide some pictures. :lol:

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

More or less wouldn't hurt for me. :wow: if they need to land, so land.

Surely we can't say something like this. \/

"No don't land, you already landed 10 times, i forbid u to land even though u run out of enerygy." :lol:

"Nigtingale"? i don't recall seeing them land there. :lol:

There may not be an episode where its all on a planet.

but in "Demon" they landed there for 1/2 the episode time or bit more.. :lol:

With out TOM PARIS they would never get Voyager

down!!! B)

But on a personal note i dont like to see it land,it just

does'nt look right,but thats only my view :rolleyes:

:tomcat:

There's a few other Starfleet ships I believe can land:

Prometheus-class

Nova-Class

Defiant-class

Saucer section of Constitution-class

Saucer section of Excelsior-class

Also, the Galaxy-class saucer section was designed for a smooth landing. The reason why the Ent-D saucer section had such a rough landing was becuase they just came out of a battle, the battle section's explossion knocked key systems offline, and Deanna said the helm (console that flies the ship) was offline.

Driving with no helm sucks. and in space you can't exactly rig something up. but the landing scenes are cool...but like I stated in another Voyager post, it's not exactly a small ship we are talking here. an Aircraft carrier of the Nimitz class displaces about 100,000 tons of seawater with a full load, and I think the Nimitz is actually smaller as far as height when compared to Voyager. so obviously your landing struts had better be pretty strong, and it is advisable to find some VERY solid ground. even a conservative estimate that at 1 G the Voyager weighs 200 MILLION pounds, or about 100,000 tons, is ALOT of wieght. now, I could picture Voyager landing in water....assuming that the water is deep enough and the ship is boyant enough.

just like I've been saying in the other one. now, it would be plausible that only the smaller Federation starships can land. Honestly, I don't see the Enterprise E making anything other than a crash landing on a planet.

just like I've been saying in the other one. now, it would be plausible that only the smaller Federation starships can land. Honestly, I don't see the Enterprise E making anything other than a crash landing on a planet.

That's what I was thinking, only small ships would land. As for the Enteprise-E, I've wonderred if the ship could land since the warp nacelles seem as though they'd ballance with the saucer. If not, I think the saucer could detach and land. It looks as though it can sauce seperate, but since the engineering section has no impulse engine, it'd probably be more of an emergency-type opperation instead of a tactical/safety saucer seperation that the Ent-D had.

All the ships had their own wee 'special thing' and for Voyager, landing was it. Blue alert was interesting, but not always used. It was cool seeing them on a planet with daylight outside. Gave u the sense that the whole thing was more real.

I never believed that, even with using stabilising force fields etc, that those two tiny little legs under Voyager would be enough to hold the ship when it landed. Although to be fair, the landing sequences and Blue Alert/Code Blue, were very cool.

:o B) :o

Voyager has 4 landing struts, 2 on deck 15 and 2 on deck 14.

I allways assumed it had an anti-gravity generator in the saucer to keep the ship from tipping over. :o

Here's a picture of a landing strut.

37s_footpad.jpg

Here's two pictures from Voyager's first landing.

37s3.jpg37s15.jpg

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I always assumed it had an anti-gravity generator in the saucer to keep the ship from tipping over.

That would make sense. I'd believe it more if it did have that feature.

Would Voyager really need legs though? Wouldn't it make more sense to use some kind of repulsor field under the ship, holding it in a steady hover slightly above the ground?

another reason for not floating.

what if they already got no power or need repairs?

like in "Demon" & "Nightingale"

another reason for not floating.

what if they already got no power or need repairs?

Accepted. But, if they have no power. How would they generate a stablising field from the saucer? (if it has such a thing) I just don't believe that four little struts would be enough to hold a ship of that size. It would fall over.

Yeah, it must have something pushing against the ground twords the end of the saucer. Either that, or the back side of Voyager is really really heavy compared to the rest of the ship, which is possible. I'll see if i can get some technical readouts of the ship. Had them here at one point...... :frusty:

That's what I was going to point out. I've never really trusted the strength of those struts, but I rationalize it by saying the saucer is MUCH lighter than the rest of the ship in planet-surface gravity. That would make sense when realizing the saucer is mostly comprised of crew quarters and the rest of the ship holds the majority of the equipment.

I've seen heavy stuff being support with little supports at a certain part of the object before. Those Struts could be at the right positions to support it.

Who knows how their landing gear works or made off.

Its definately not like our plane's. so we can't compare it with that, :frusty:

I'd be more concerned with where they were landing....they'd have to have a great set of scans to figure out a site that would hold the weight of the ship! :frusty:

Look at Voyager's design. while the Saucr section is broader and just as tall as the Engineering hull, there is probably more stuff packed into the Engineering hull. also, the hull overlaps are about where the forward landing struts are. it is very that Voyager was designed to be Stern heavy. certainly those warp nacelles aren't light. and the warp system. Like Ace said, the aft end has alot of the systems in it.

Edited by Ensign Jim Phaserman

probably. most people look at size and assume that the Saucer is heavier, but one must also take into account that the warp field coils and other parts of the warp system could be constructed of a material that has maybe 2 or 3 Times the density of the materiels used in the construction of the ship's hull.