Sign in to follow this  
Abakai2003

War of the worlds

Yesterday I managed to listen to Orson Wells 1930's radio play of War of the Worlds.

This I great stuff, Wells manages to generate a awesome amout of suspence and I know its just a play so god knows what them poor folks where feeling when they heard it for the first time. this is a masterfull retelling of the story. if you've not heard this then you are missing out on something fantastic.

I aneone is interested then I can make this avalible for download.

War of the Worlds is one of the best productions EVER, radio, TV, and movies included.

I used to have my classes listen to it as a listening exercise, and while talking about old-time radio. It got to the point that I had successive classes asking when they were going to hear it.

I wish I had it on CD. All I have is an LP. Hangon, where did you get yours?

Glad to see you've finally discovered this classic piece of early broadcasting. It was because of this broadcast that commercials, radio and tv, can not start their spots like a news bulletin without a disclaimer saying that the following is not real. Now that you've listened to the broadcast check out the movie "The Night America Panicked." It's a dramatization of how the entire broadcast came about, a sort of docudrama. The late John Ritter plays one of the radio actors in the movie and I believe he played the part of the "on the scene reporter" who witnesses the Martians unscrewing their capsule. There are also many papers available on the web covering the aftermath and analysis of the reactions to the broadcast. This was the springboard for Orson's career that eventually lead him to Hollywood and the filming of "Citizen Kane".