Sign in to follow this  
xenexian

Nog

I just finished watching "What you Leave Behind", again (okay, I was in a nostalgic mood), and was struck once again with the growth of Nog from just a nephew of Quark living on the station to his final promotion of lieutenant. It seemed that he was destined to eventually be written off in the first few years of the series and personally, I wouldn't have missed him if they had. But the twist of making his character want more out of his life then being just a typical Ferengi seemed a great idea. I remember Quark disapproving of the whole idea of his nephew living among the "hew-mons" but seemed to accept it as Nog grew up before our eyes. And it actually felt good watching the Federation accept him as he himself grew into the more advanced role. Does anyone else feel that this was a good script idea? He actually showed a great range of emotions in the episode when Nog explained his reasons for wanting to go off to the academy. Plus I always thought he would be a great negotiater for the Federation should they need to obtain anything of value for the fleet, like dilithium. Thoughts anyone?

I agree completely, some of my favorite episodes were with Nog starting from his asking to join Starfleet in "Heart Of Stone" all the way though season 7 with episodes like "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River". But I think Nog reached a new level with "The Siege of AR-558" and "It's Only a Paper Moon". There were several good Nog episodes.

In the Voyager Episode where species 8472 re-create Star Fleet Academy, there is a Ferengi Cadet in the background. Now. I think that Voyager left the Alpha Quadrant before Nog went to the Academy. So. If Voyager's database (which the re-creation was based upon) wasnt updated after leaving the Alpha Quadrant then there would be no record of any Ferengi students at the Academy. So why was this Ferengi put into the re-creation? And, if Voyager was aware of Nog being at the Academy, then was this cadet another who joined in his wake?

Put that under the "Opps", catagory for the scriptwriters. Another explanation could be that since the data base has the Ferengi race in it, they may have just extrapolated the idea that every race that makes contact with the Federation sends someone to the academy. Sort of covering their bets.

Put that under the "Opps", catagory for the scriptwriters.  Another explanation could be that since the data base has the Ferengi race in it, they may have just extrapolated the idea that every race that makes contact with the Federation sends someone to the academy.  Sort of covering their bets.

Killer! Another reason to rewatch some VOY! :angry:

Put that under the "Opps", catagory for the scriptwriters.  Another explanation could be that since the data base has the Ferengi race in it, they may have just extrapolated the idea that every race that makes contact with the Federation sends someone to the academy.  Sort of covering their bets.

Very plausible xenexian!

I always liked Nog and enjoyed watching his character grow and progress throughout the series.

Same here.

I just love the way they developped the caracters in DS9. That's why it's my favorite

The only one that they might have work more on is Jake..

In the Voyager Episode where species 8472 re-create Star Fleet Academy, there is a Ferengi Cadet in the background. Now. I think that Voyager left the Alpha Quadrant before Nog went to the Academy. So. If Voyager's database (which the re-creation was based upon) wasnt updated after leaving the Alpha Quadrant then there would be no record of any Ferengi students at the Academy. So why was this Ferengi put into the re-creation? And, if Voyager was aware of Nog being at the Academy, then was this cadet another who joined in his wake?

:lol: I THINK THIS PUTS THE WHOLE TIME LINE THING OUT OF WHACK.

B) I LIKED THE CHARACTER OF NOG. LIKED THAT THEY KEPT HIM ON DS9

I always liked Nog and enjoyed watching his character grow and progress throughout the series.

Same here.

I just love the way they developped the caracters in DS9. That's why it's my favorite

The only one that they might have work more on is Jake..

I agree with you on Nog, at first I saw him as this trouble maker kid purely used for some kind of humorous outcome or to get Jake in hot water so he'll learn some kind of valuable lesson at the end of an episode. Having him want to become a Star Fleet officer took me by surprise because I was like everyone else in that episode. Why would a feringi have any interest in starfleet?

On Jake however, I thought they did explore some avenues with his character and I felt that he literally grew as a character as much as Nog. Also I think some of the best episodes revolved around Jake, particuarly The Visitor. I guess I saw some changes and interesting twist with Jake's character then I ever saw say Wesley Crusher on tng.

Why would a feringi have any interest in starfleet?

I think it was because of two factors, Jake's influnce on him and his father Rom wanting something better for Nog.

I think it was because of two factors, Jake's influnce on him and his father Rom wanting something better for Nog.

I also think that another influence was Rom joining the stations Enginieering staff and thus showing Nog that a Ferengi was not predetermined to behave like the rest of there society.

I also think that another influence was Rom joining the stations Enginieering staff and thus showing Nog that a Ferengi was not predetermined to behave like the rest of there society.

Nog announced his desire to join Starfleet in Heart of Stone (Season 3 episode 19. Rom didn't join the stations engineering until Season 4 episode 16. So that couldn't have been it. The reason that Nog gives to Sisko is that he doesn't want to turn out like his father, he doesn't want to be just another Ferengi lusting after profits. He has seen how his uncle treats his father and he knows that he himself (Nog) doesn't have the "Lobes" for business... more like he doesn't have the desire to make that his lifes calling. So he picks Sisko as a role model and wants to join Starfleet.

He's an "enlightened" Ferengi lol

What made the development of Nog's character from Ferengi boyish misfit to eager, aspiring Starfleet cadet to a fine, upstanding Starfleet officer was that the writers decided not to take Jake down the same road, in what would have essentially made him Wesley 2.0. The juxtaposition of the first Ferengi in Starfleet and the first human Trek castmember to not join Starfleet in some capacity was just one of the many great character dynamics portrayed on DS9...just another reason why it was the best Trek show ever.

I always liked Nog.And I was glad to see the writers give more depth to the character.I think he makes an excellent Starfleet officer and will probably play an important role in the Federation's future relationship with the Ferengi Alliance(particularly since his father is Grand nagus).Its just too bad Jake Sisko couldn't have been better developed.I kind of got tired of his constant whining about wanting to go back to Earth,early on in the show.And to tell the truth,between the Jake Sisko and Nog portrayed in the show's first season,I would have rather hung out with Nog. :blink: