Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Should each series be continued past the finale?

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should each series be continued past the finale?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know.
    • I don't care.

I was thinking. We got 6 TOS movies, and 4 TNG movies. DS9 had a cliffhanger finale, Voyager returned to Earth, and ENT is in it's 3rd season. Does every Trek series really need a post-finale continuation?

5th TNG movie: I'd say probably not, mainly becuase of the crew splitting up at the end of NEM. I just think that it'd be tacky to put them together, unless it was a final adventure. In conclusion, I can only see one more TNG movie happening.

DS9 Movie: Due to a cliffhanger finale, I think this series should deffinately get a movie! Not part of a mixed-cast, as the series was way too complicated, it needs it's own movie. However, I think a mini-series might work better.

VOY Movie: I think the series was concluded pretty well. However, if they don't plan on doing a TNG or DS9 movie for #11, I think this would be the perfect cast.

ENT Movie: If this were more a sci-fi/drama set in the present, then it could work like The X Files - Fight the Future. However, compare the movies to episodes that aired arround the same time the movies were released. An ENT movie would put way too high expectations on ENT. Besides, why do an ENT movie when ENT is the current series? I'd rather see a different cast while ENT is in it's first-run.

Mixed Cast Movie: This "could" work. I think the only way to pull this off would be to pic a ship, Entreprise-E, Voyager, Titan, or something, and have a "mixed-crew". This way, we don't have to worry why everyone's getting together, or making it an "unite and save the universe" story which has been over done in sci-fi, I feel.

So, what about you? Do you think every series should have post-finale movies, or just the popular shows?

I Say No..Not All Of Them. Take Voyager For Example. I Loved The Show, But It Was About Getting Home And They Did Just That. I See No Point In Doing A Movie If They've Come Home.

With Generations that was basically a continuation of TNG but aside from that they pretty well wrapped up the series with All Good Things.

DS9 was left with some pretty big things kind of unresolved so I would say yes for DS9, keep in mind my bias toward DS9.

Voyager was completely wrapped up in End game. I myself see no further storyline to pursue with Voyager other then a "where are they now" and I think that kind of movie would be a mistake for the franchise.

As for Enterprise, I'd want to see how they end the series before I say what they should do there. At this point we don't know how far they will go in the Star Trek timeline.

I'm not real big on a Mixed cast movie. It would be more of a "gimmick" movie and is just something I don't think I'd want them to do.

Something that won't be done, and probably shouldn't be done but might be interesting would be a TOS movie. Meaning a movie set in the TOS time, same characters and same ships with new actors but try to keep it as true to TOS as possible. Not a parody, but a serious attempt at making a movie out of a new story from that era. Don't spruce up the effects, make it in the real sense of TOS. I'd go to it. But like I said that won't be done and likely shouldn't be done.

With Generations that was basically a continuation of TNG but aside from that they pretty well wrapped up the series with All Good Things.

DS9 was left with some pretty big things kind of unresolved so I would say yes for DS9, keep in mind my bias toward DS9.

Voyager was completely wrapped up in End game. I myself see no further storyline to pursue with Voyager other then a "where are they now" and I think that kind of movie would be a mistake for the franchise.

As for Enterprise, I'd want to see how they end the series before I say what they should do there. At this point we don't know how far they will go in the Star Trek timeline.

I'm not real big on a Mixed cast movie. It would be more of a "gimmick" movie and is just something I don't think I'd want them to do.

Something that won't be done, and probably shouldn't be done but might be interesting would be a TOS movie. Meaning a movie set in the TOS time, same characters and same ships with new actors but try to keep it as true to TOS as possible. Not a parody, but a serious attempt at making a movie out of a new story from that era. Don't spruce up the effects, make it in the real sense of TOS. I'd go to it. But like I said that won't be done and likely shouldn't be done.

I agree with you on TNG & DS9.

As for VOY, I'd say that the show was "mostly" wrapped up, not completely. Were the Borg finally defeated? Will Species 8472 invade the Federation? Will a ship with Slip Stream drive be sent back out to the DQ? I think there are plenty of ideas for a VOY movie. I agree that a "where are they now" movie would flop, not just for VOY, but for any sci-fi show.

Once again, I agree with you on ENT.

I'm not sure, yet, how I feel about a mixed-cast movie.

As for TOS? What you describe, sounds like a remake. I'd rather have retro TOS-style movie with the old-style Constitution-class, and a new crew durring the TOS-era. I believe this could be done. :)

As for VOY, I'd say that the show was "mostly" wrapped up, not completely.  Were the Borg finally defeated?  Will Species 8472 invade the Federation?  Will a ship with Slip Stream drive be sent back out to the DQ?  I think there are plenty of ideas for a VOY movie.  I agree that a "where are they now" movie would flop, not just for VOY, but for any sci-fi show.

As for TOS?  What you describe, sounds like a remake.  I'd rather have retro TOS-style movie with the old-style Constitution-class, and a new crew durring the TOS-era.  I believe this could be done. :)

Those stories could be done with a Voyager cast, yes. But a new Borg movie I don't think would go over too well, I think it can be assumed that they didn't destroy all of the Borg, just that one portal. The story with Species 8472 would be an interesting story but only Voyager fans would understand it. I think it would take too much explanation for non-Voyager fans otherwise it would look like TPTB just made up a super scary monster to make a movie.

I believe they (TPTB) could come up with a story for a Voyager crew, but I don't think they should.Once they got home too many tings would have taken place that would mean major changes to the ships crew.

I don't believe there will ever be a Voyager movie, I also don't believe we'll see a DS9 movie.

As for VOY, I'd say that the show was "mostly" wrapped up, not completely.  Were the Borg finally defeated?  Will Species 8472 invade the Federation?  Will a ship with Slip Stream drive be sent back out to the DQ?  I think there are plenty of ideas for a VOY movie.  I agree that a "where are they now" movie would flop, not just for VOY, but for any sci-fi show.

As for TOS?  What you describe, sounds like a remake.  I'd rather have retro TOS-style movie with the old-style Constitution-class, and a new crew durring the TOS-era.  I believe this could be done. :)

Those stories could be done with a Voyager cast, yes. But a new Borg movie I don't think would go over too well, I think it can be assumed that they didn't destroy all of the Borg, just that one portal. The story with Species 8472 would be an interesting story but only Voyager fans would understand it. I think it would take too much explanation for non-Voyager fans otherwise it would look like TPTB just made up a super scary monster to make a movie.

I believe they (TPTB) could come up with a story for a Voyager crew, but I don't think they should.Once they got home too many tings would have taken place that would mean major changes to the ships crew.

I don't believe there will ever be a Voyager movie, I also don't believe we'll see a DS9 movie.

Why wouldn't a 2nd Borg movie do well? As for Species 8472, they were seen in only 4 episodes. The only explanation needed is that the Borg tried to assimilate them but failed, Voyager helped the Borg drive Species 8472 out of our galaxy, and now they're bent on purging the entire galaxy. I don't think it'd take more than 5 mins or so to explain the back story. If TNG can have a Borg movie, then I think VOY can have an 8472 movie.

Once they got home too many tings would have taken place that would mean major changes to the ships crew.

This is an assumption, we don't know what really happens to them until a story comes along and shows/tells us.

I think both DS9 & VOY have potential for movies. It's just a matter of the Producers wanting to make them.

Voyager helped the Borg drive Species 8472 out of our galaxy

They did? Man I can't wait to get the VOY DVD's and catch up on what I missed by not paying close enough attention to that series. :)

Voyager helped the Borg drive Species 8472 out of our galaxy

They did? Man I can't wait to get the VOY DVD's and catch up on what I missed by not paying close enough attention to that series. :)

I thought you were excited up to the eye-roll. Were you being sarcastic, if so, why? I thought it made for an excellent two-parter! :lol:

Why wouldn't a 2nd Borg movie do well?  As for Species 8472, they were seen in only 4 episodes.  The only explanation needed is that the Borg tried to assimilate them but failed, Voyager helped the Borg drive Species 8472 out of our galaxy, and now they're bent on purging the entire galaxy.  I don't think it'd take more than 5 mins or so to explain the back story.  If TNG can have a Borg movie, then I think VOY can have an 8472 movie.

I think both DS9 & VOY have potential for movies.  It's just a matter of the Producers wanting to make them.

I just think the Borg have been played out.

Once they got home too many tings would have taken place that would mean major changes to the ships crew.

This is an assumption, we don't know what really happens to them until a story comes along and shows/tells us.

It's a pretty safe assumption though. How many non-Starfleet crew members were there? You had a former Borg Drone that had been de-droned, Starfleet will surely wish to study her for some time. You had criminals that would have to be given immunity to be permitted to stay in Starfleet and that's assuming that they would even want to be in Starfleet now that they are back home. We already know that Janeway is promoted, so she isn't with Voyager anymore.

The way they closed Voyager out and then promoted Janeway pretty much says that there will be no Voyager movie.

Their attitude towards DS9 pretty much says there will be no DS9 movie.

Voyager's best bet at a movie was to leave them in the Delta Quadrant trying to get home. IMO

I think AE's suggestion from his thread is the best idea for the next movie. Some member's of each of the three casts - I think it would work and resolve Sisko's fate - that bugs me still.

With Janeway you wouldn't have to actually use the ship Voyager because she's an admiral now. I just don't know if anyone other than Picard or Data would appeal to a large enough audience and I don't think they want to do more Trek.

In fact the only trek actor to star in a movie pre trek was Scott Bakula and none of those were blockbusters by any means. But there are still people that would watch him based on pre Trek stuff. In fact I think more people would have watched ENT because of him if 1. UPN was available everywhere and 2. He hadn't started the series as a whiner. Okay back on topic.

No more movies because there's not enough money in it.

To be perfectly honest, here's how I see it:

When the first movie came out, TOS was the only option. When TNG ended, DS9 was new, TOS movies finished, so TNG was up for movies. Now that the TNG movies have ended, we have loads of options. I feel that instead of saying we should have a DS9 movie or whatever, that they should come up with the plot first, then decide which crew or mix of characters fit the story. Wouldn't this make far more sense then trying to fit a story arround a cast? Sure, it's worked before, but I think it's time to do the reverse.

Personally, and this is just my opinion and view, I don't want a mixed cast movie. We never really had mixed cast episodes, there were a couple of episodes that had a couple of other series stars in it but they were more side notes in the episodes as opposed to being a major player in the movie.

If you start with a weak foundation then it won't be a good movie, and I believe doing a "mixed cast" movie would be only geared to trying to appease all of the fan groups. I think it would make for an eclectic kind of movie and likely wouldn't be very successful.

You need a solid story based around a solid set of characters. If that's a TNG set of characters, DS9 or Voyager then so be it. But it needs to be one set of characters. Again, IMO.

Would I want a set of movies for each series? Absolutely!

Do I think it's a good idea? No.

I can't comment on a DS9 movie, as that's the series I'm least familiar with. However, I do think a VOY movie could have worked...... if it had been made soon after the series wrapped. Now I believe it has just been too long for any closed series to make a successful movie run, not that they honestly would have done well in the first place. All imho.

As I've said in another topic, (and as much as it saddens me to say so) I think Trek should just lay off the movies for a little while. :)

Edited by Ace

As for DS9 I think now that it should get a mini series! My reasoning is that a mini series will be longer than a single movie and would still have nearly the same quality!

Personally I would love a Voyager movie. There were too many unanswered questions left over from the finale.

I would be interested in a voyager movie, purely to see what everyone does when they get back to earth - What about Seven of Nine and Neelix (remember that the federation have never seen a Talaxian before) Would the federation want to study them, and what will they do now they are back to earth? Then theres the Maqui crew members, what happens to them? immunity? do they stay in starfleet? And what about the doctor? Obviously Voyager is a bit 'out-of-date' by the time they get back to earth, does the ship get a refit or is it scrapped? Either way, where does he go and what does he do with his freedom?

I could go on for ages about the questions I have......

Although I do want these questions answered, I dont know if it is enough to actually warrant a movie though. It probably wouldnt be successful enough

Since you said you wanted your questions answered,,, I'll just give out a reminder that Neelix remained in the Delta Quadrant with the Talaxian colony. :)

Since you said you wanted your questions answered,,, I'll just give out a reminder that Neelix remained in the Delta Quadrant with the Talaxian colony. :)

Oh Fudgesticks!!! I cant believe I said that!! How could i forget about that???

:)

I would be interested in a voyager movie, purely to see what everyone does when they get back to earth - What about Seven of Nine and Neelix (remember that the federation have never seen a Talaxian before) Would the federation want to study them, and what will they do now they are back to earth? Then theres the Maqui crew members, what happens to them? immunity? do they stay in starfleet? And what about the doctor? Obviously Voyager is a bit 'out-of-date' by the time they get back to earth, does the ship get a refit or is it scrapped? Either way, where does he go and what does he do with his freedom?

I could go on for ages about the questions I have......

Although I do want these questions answered, I dont know if it is enough to actually warrant a movie though. It probably wouldnt be successful enough

In the episode "Homestead", Neelix finally found home in the form of a Talaxian colony within a massive asteroid, at the center of an asteroid field. As for the crew, with the exception of Seven, we saw a possible future of how everyone turns out. While Voyager got home 16 years early, I think we can still assume that the Maquis get immunity and would have the option of staying in Starfleet. As for the Doctor, I'm not sure, but in the future the finale showed, he seemed to be doing fine. Maybe he'll start a holo-rights revolution, who knows. The only character I feel we don't have the slightest clue what happens to when they get home is Seven of Nine. As for Voyager, with all the alien and Borg technology, she's anything but "out-of-date". Watch the series finale for new weapons and armor technology.

As for a movie, I don't want to see a "where are they now story". On the other hand, if they do a VOY movie about the Borg, Species 8472, the Vaadwar, the Hirogen, or some other DQ race, or maybe even sending a refitted Voyager back out there, then we could have one heck of a movie on our hands!

In the episode "Homestead", Neelix finally found home in the form of a Talaxian colony within a massive asteroid, at the center of an asteroid field.  As for the crew, with the exception of Seven, we saw a possible future of how everyone turns out.  While Voyager got home 16 years early, I think we can still assume that the Maquis get immunity and would have the option of staying in Starfleet.  As for the Doctor, I'm not sure, but in the future the finale showed, he seemed to be doing fine.  Maybe he'll start a holo-rights revolution, who knows.  The only character I feel we don't have the slightest clue what happens to when they get home is Seven of Nine.  As for Voyager, with all the alien and Borg technology, she's anything but "out-of-date".  Watch the series finale for new weapons and armor technology.

As for a movie, I don't want to see a "where are they now story".  On the other hand, if they do a VOY movie about the Borg, Species 8472, the Vaadwar, the Hirogen, or some other DQ race, or maybe even sending a refitted Voyager back out there, then we could have one heck of a movie on our hands!

Hmm, maybe i need to go to bed, im making too many mistakes. While we are on the subject of Voyagers advanced weapons and shields though, how come we dont see the advanced armour plating on the Enterprise in Nemesis? We know its after Voyager get back because of Admiral Janeway, and it didnt take very long to adapt the shielding to voyager, so I doubt it would be a compatibility problem. What are your insights on this?

Okay, go on..... what mistake have I made this time? lol

No misstakes. :)

NEMESIS was written before "Endgame", that's why the transphasic torpedoes and shield armor (not armor plating) were not seen in the movie. The in-story explanation is that Starfleet probably felt that the weapons and armor effect the ballance of power between the Federation and it's neighbors too greatly so had the technology mothbolled till a worthy adversary comes along.

Also, Admiral Janeway wasn't written into the movie till after filming began. :)

it would be lovely to see another movie, but i feel there could be problems, particularly with a ds9 movie, as many of the characters are no longer on the station, and are all over the galaxy, it will have to streach the imagination to find story lines as to why they are all back, as with voyager yes there may again be possabilities eg with species 8472, i really think they could do a movie with both ds9 and voyager combined, now that could be interesting

I dont think mixing the different series' would work, it would cause confusion in some places, like why certain members of the different crews are suddenly together, and some are not (I mean, you couldnt have LaForge and Torres on the same ship - they are both chief engineers) And after so long on one ship, why have a number of them all moved on to the same ship/station/planet (delete as neccessary for your film plot) if they left their original ship/station they wouldnt move en masse to a different one Edited by Cramase

yes i do agree with the fact it would be difficult and confusing, but at this present time i also think another film could prove difficult to produce, due to continuity, but hay knowing paramount they'll come up with something!

I think that when a good thing ends in a good way, then it is best to leave it at that. All things end: it's just a matter of when and how. And to go out on a high leaves a series glowing, as opposed to dragging it out until it is worn down and thread bare.