Sign in to follow this  
Stelfan

How long can Star Trek last?

Most ST fans know, and are proud of (at least I am) that Star Trek is the longest going franchise in the history of television. If I'm not mistaking over 600 episodes from 5 different Star Trek series have been produced.

Hopefully, Star Trek will continue for many years to come, but how long do you think they can go on? How long will the franchise last? Will it end with Enterprise?

I have a gut feeling it may end with Enterprise (at least for a good while), but I hope I'm wrong. :dude:

It think after Enteprise we might go a few years without another show or set of movies, but I think they will eventually go ahead with a new movie and that will spark a new show. Just like the classic 6 movies did.

I have a gut feeling it may end with Enterprise (at least for a good while), but I hope I'm wrong. :dude:

I must confess I have the same feeling..

But maybe it's for the best, Star Trek might need a break. Just hope it will be back someday..

Well, here's how I see it:

Typically, you have a great concept for a TV show, it runs a long time, then comes to an end. Maybe you get a spin-off with one of the characters or a few movies, but after that, time to find something new to watch.

The real reason why STAR TREK has lasted so long is simple. A crew on a starship, explorring space and going where no one has gone before. The possibilities are endless. All you need is a ship, a crew, and an imagination. Yes, I think the franchise might take a rest after ENT, sticking to just movies. However, I think Trek will allways be arround.

Here's the big question:

What happens when our science advances so far that the science in Trek becomes laughable? What happens when we go to Mars and such and our own timeline severely differentiates from the Trek timeline?

I'd have to say that if our science advances to the point where Trek seems silly, just advance the science on the show, just like the Borg got a "new look" for the 8th movie. As for our own timeline not matching the Trek timeline? I say this has allready begun to happen. It's fiction, not reallity, so why should it match our timeline? B)

It think after Enteprise we might go a few years without another show or set of movies, but I think they will eventually go ahead with a new movie and that will spark a new show.  Just like the classic 6 movies did.

Actually, TNG came out after the first 4 movies. The 5th movie came out durring TNG's 3rd season, and the 6th movie came out durring TNG's 5th season.

Here's the big question:

What happens when our science advances so far that the science in Trek becomes laughable?  What happens when we go to Mars and such and our own timeline severely differentiates from the Trek timeline?

I'd have to say that if our science advances to the point where Trek seems silly, just advance the science on the show, just like the Borg got a "new look" for the 8th movie.  As for our own timeline not matching the Trek timeline?  I say this has allready begun to happen.  It's fiction, not reallity, so why should it match our timeline? B) [/color]

It wouldn't matter to me if things don't turn out the way they have in the Trek timeline. I never thought they would.

To be honest i think it's already died, and Enterprise was the final dagger to the throat, it was fine right up to the end of voyager and then....ruined!

To be honest i think it's already died, and Enterprise was the final dagger to the throat, it was fine right up to the end of voyager and then....ruined!

I know many people who think Voyager is the poor series. I myself think least of it compared to other Star Treks. Secondly, just because you don't like ENT doesn't mean others don't. And people do like it. I like it. CJLP likes it. Etc. Besides Star Trek will never be dead so long as the fans are alive! Can kill an idea unless you kill the people who hold the idea in the minds very dearly.

I think that after ENT Star Trek will fade away for a while and will come back with a new series or movie. 

With the state of today's media, I think the last thing Trek needs is to fade away. What we need is a 3-year-break, then a new series. ENT-era series about the beginnings of the Federation, while ENT continues with movies set 20 years or so before the 6th series. We could have series 6 be on a space station, like DS9. We could go on an "uber ship" in the 25th century, sent off to the Delta Quadrant to make contact with species Voyager made first contact with, however, the ship would return to the Federation every now and then so we don't have an "isolated ship" as that's been done twice now (VOY & ENT).

Well, here's how I see it:

Typically, you have a great concept for a TV show, it runs a long time, then comes to an end.  Maybe you get a spin-off with one of the characters or a few movies, but after that, time to find something new to watch.

The real reason why STAR TREK has lasted so long is simple.  A crew on a starship, explorring space and going where no one has gone before.  The possibilities are endless.  All you need is a ship, a crew, and an imagination.  Yes, I think the franchise might take a rest after ENT, sticking to just movies.  However, I think Trek will allways be arround.

Here's the big question:

What happens when our science advances so far that the science in Trek becomes laughable?  What happens when we go to Mars and such and our own timeline severely differentiates from the Trek timeline?

I'd have to say that if our science advances to the point where Trek seems silly, just advance the science on the show, just like the Borg got a "new look" for the 8th movie.  As for our own timeline not matching the Trek timeline?  I say this has allready begun to happen.  It's fiction, not reallity, so why should it match our timeline? B)

im sure that in the future...well look at star trek the same way we look at westerns and little house on the praire... like whoa that was interesting

Well, I love westerns and shows like "Little House". I think that an explossion of a genre usually leads to it's downfall. While I'm a sci-fi fan, I also prefer variety. A western here, Star Trek there, a family drama over there, and maybe a comedy there. B)

While I'm a sci-fi fan, I also prefer variety.  A western here, Star Trek there, a family drama over there, and maybe a comedy there. B)

I agree with you, however family drama could have been left out B)

To be honest I don't think it will end after Enterprise. It's too big of an industry now. They will do something to keep it going, there's too much money to be made to just let it sit idle. They may slow down a bit but they will continue.

I'd also like to add that one way Trek can avoid the "comic book-style" reset is to keep re-inventing itself. Here's a few examples below:

ENT established Klingon first contact in 2151 when TOS & TNG had said 2218.

Klingons get updated look for movies and spin-offs.

Borg get updated look for 8th movie.

The "warp" effect kept changing through the TOS movies till they got it right for TNG.

The whole "Enterprise" design being a balance between now and TOS's 60's budget.

If Trek continues to keep it's self "futuristic", then I think it will continue for a long time to come.

As for continuity fans, keep it mind that this is a fictional future, it's not based on "real" history. With that said, I don't have a problem with them tinkerring with continuity as long as the "main events" and so forth remains intact.

I'm guessing that there will be a big break between Enterprise and a future series, if any. I'm sure we will continue to have fan tributes like "Trekkies". God bless the obsessed! :dude:

I'm guessing that there will be a big break between Enterprise and a future series, if any. I'm sure we will continue to have fan tributes like "Trekkies". God bless the obsessed! :dude:

I don't want fan tributes I want EPISODES! There'rl be more you'll see.wink.gif

I don't want fan tributes I want EPISODES! There'rl be more you'll see.wink.gif

Or maybe once they stop, a dedicated fan might buy the star trek license and start making really crummy low budget episodes. The thought gives me shivers!

Or maybe once they stop, a dedicated fan might buy the star trek license and start...

If I ever were to become filthy rich, that's one of the things I'd want to do; I've actually thought it out. :dude:

...Of course I'll never be filthy rich so it's pretty much a moot point. :dude:

I think Trek can go on for a very long time. Just think, theres no reason why the prequel series has to end with Enterprise. They can continue on with other early Federation ships. If Enterprise goes the distance, I'd say there is a good chance of that happening.

I think Trek can go on for a very long time. Just think, theres no reason why the prequel series has to end with Enterprise. They can continue on with other early Federation ships. If Enterprise goes the distance, I'd say there is a good chance of that happening.

Let´s hope so. But we have to recruit new viewers so that ENT will make it seven seasons! :hat:

Let´s hope so. But we have to recruit new viewers so that ENT will make it seven seasons! :hat:

Ha Ha. :dude: They will adapt to service us!

(couldn't resist)

Barring natural disasters and social upheaval I think Trek will fade when the "baby boomers" start dying. I know there are a lot of young fans who never watched TOS but I'm not sure there are enough of them to keep the franchise going.

Scifi has always been a niche market and I see TPTB changing ST to try to broaden it's appeal. There is just no kind way to say this but basically I see it dumbing down for the masses. So it may carry the name ST but it's already mutating into something else.

I had a few issues with ENT but for the most part I liked it - I actually don't like it as much this season as I did in the past. There is more action but less character development.

As for the issue of the science becoming outdated - I don't think that is an issue. I've caught a few episodes of The Twilight Zone this weekend - these stories are old but timeless not because of the science but because they examine the human condition - which TOS did more than any subsequent series. Spock, Kirk, McCoy etc these people were real to me. Subsequent characters have given entertaining and thought provoking experiences but they aren't real except maybe Picard and Data.

Here's the big question:

Couldn't they just reset the timeline with a TT episode or series (ENT?) Some will call that sacrilege but I think it is not. Resetting the timeline would not imo cancel what comes before. All problems associated with resetting the timeline are overcome by watching the series in production order instead of chronologically so ENT belongs after VOY instead of before TOS and besides, it's just a TV show right?

I'd have to say that if our science advances to the point where Trek seems silly, just advance the science on the show, just like the Borg got a "new look" for the 8th movie.  As for our own timeline not matching the Trek timeline?  I say this has allready begun to happen.  It's fiction, not reallity, so why should it match our timeline? :laugh:

Hmm, I dont see how our "real" tech could ever become better than what's portrayed on Trek, Treknology sets the bar very high imo so for Trek Science to become silly we'd need to surpass it with achievements that are beyond Trek and I don't think that's possible to do for many of the Trek sciences, they represent technological Epochs do they not?