Sign in to follow this  
Stelfan

How long can Star Trek last?

Here's the big question:

What happens when our science advances so far that the science in Trek becomes laughable?  What happens when we go to Mars and such and our own timeline severely differentiates from the Trek timeline?

Couldn't they just reset the timeline with a TT episode or series (ENT?) Some will call that sacrilege but I think it is not. Resetting the timeline would not imo cancel what comes before. All problems associated with resetting the timeline are overcome by watching the series in production order instead of chronologically so ENT belongs after VOY instead of before TOS and besides, it's just a TV show right?

I'd have to say that if our science advances to the point where Trek seems silly, just advance the science on the show, just like the Borg got a "new look" for the 8th movie.  As for our own timeline not matching the Trek timeline?  I say this has allready begun to happen.  It's fiction, not reallity, so why should it match our timeline? :laugh:

Hmm, I dont see how our "real" tech could ever become better than what's portrayed on Trek, Treknology sets the bar very high imo so for Trek Science to become silly we'd need to surpass it with achievements that are beyond Trek and I don't think that's possible to do for many of the Trek sciences, they represent technological Epochs do they not?

Is they "reset" the timeline, that'd mean the previous shows never happened. I'd feel cheated and wouldn't watch any future series is this happened.

As for your second paragraph, I'd have to agree. :laugh:

Resetting the timeline would ruin Trek for me, don't really know why. Just think it would all feel so "fake".. The Trek timeline is IMO one of the most important things that separates Trek series from the other crap on TV.

It would be like making Homer Simpsons a wonderful father.. ( :laugh: )

Edited by Stelfan

Here's the big question:

What happens when our science advances so far that the science in Trek becomes laughable?  What happens when we go to Mars and such and our own timeline severely differentiates from the Trek timeline?

Couldn't they just reset the timeline with a TT episode or series (ENT?) Some will call that sacrilege but I think it is not. Resetting the timeline would not imo cancel what comes before. All problems associated with resetting the timeline are overcome by watching the series in production order instead of chronologically so ENT belongs after VOY instead of before TOS and besides, it's just a TV show right?

Is they "reset" the timeline, that'd mean the previous shows never happened. I'd feel cheated and wouldn't watch any future series is this happened.

Fair Enough. I too hope a reset DON'T happen but I'm prepared if it does.

From my perspective nothing could ever make what happed before just 'Go Away', it's part of the timeline and part of my memories & nothing can EVER change that. For me, if they did a reset at this point the entire timeline would still play out as it already has up to the point of the reset: TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT RESET then what follows just becomes the next chapter of the saga.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind I'm just trying to explain why a reset if it happened would not be the end of Trek for me.

For me, what happens after the reset would not be "Star Trek".

I don't like reboots.  If you can't do a continuation, I say let it be till someone else can.

Totally agree with you on that one, they can't just reset what has been going on for the last 35 years. It wouldn't be Star Trek anymore..

To be honest I don't think it will end after Enterprise. It's too big of an industry now. They will do something to keep it going, there's too much money to be made to just let it sit idle. They may slow down a bit but they will continue.

I fully agree with you, VBG. Since Paramount is making A LOT OF MONEY with Star Trek it will go on. Star Trek is business - no matter if we like that realistic approach or not.

For me as a fan the important fact is that Star Trek will go on.

I always have been a fan and I can not imagine that my love for Star Trek will ever stop. I've been always interested in SciFi and the Star Trek philosophy reflects my personal view on the way men should treat each other and the environment.

As to me ENT is a thrilling show which I do love very much. I think the show will make the full 7 seasons - discussions about the ratings and the quality have always been and should not be overrated.

Guest Guest

All good things must come to an end and as much as I would love the Star Trek franchise to keep going, it has to end eventually. However, I hope it continues for a long time. I hope another movie is made, preferably a movie involving a mixed Voyager and DS9 cast. It would be great to see Captain Janeway in another Trek movie and hopefully with more screen time.

Even when the franchise does come to an end, trekkies can still enjoy the show by watching their favorite series and/or episodes on video and DVD. I hope the fans don't forget about Star Trek when the franchise ends because this would be a sad day in the history of the show.

Madam Captain out!