Sign in to follow this  
Shrek

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Who's going to see The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King? I'm going to see it this weekend.

Based Upon: The third novel of the classic trilogy of books by J.R.R. Tolkien that nearly singlehandedly established the modern genre of fantasy fiction as we know it. This last chapter is preceded by The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers.

MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for intense epic battle sequences and frightening images)

Running Time: 200 minutes

We're having a party here at our house and watching LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring and LOTR: The Two Towers special editions back to back. Then going out to see The Return of the King.

I am a bit disappointed to hear the Saruman's scenes have all been cut from the theatrical release, but at least he'll be in the special edition.

they cut saruman?

for those who have the read the book: [major spoiler]

Click for Spoiler:

so are they going to end the movie with the end of the war, or with the regaining of the shire from saruman?

Already Seen It Twice. ;)

And May I Say... :eek: It Was Awsome ;):bow::bow:

First End Of A Triliogy That Was Better Than The First 2 Combined, IMO.

I Feel...That Was George Lucas Did Back In The Day With Star Wars, Peter Jackson Has Done Now With Lord Of The Rings. The Brothers Tried...But Didn't Get It Done.

Click for Spoiler:

They Do Indeed Return To The Shire, But Saruman Is Never Seen.

We are going on new years day my family and i have done this for the last two years it's great but i wouldn't recommend it if you have a hangover it's a bit loud ;) . I can't wait they are such a wonderful series of films it's sad this is the last one ;)

I went to the first matinee, opening day. (Yesterday) The lines were literally three times as long as they were for Two Towers, with fewer kids (a student I know who skipped school for it told me that the local teachers had almost all scheduled tests for that day, trying to keep the kids in school. Maybe he's just being pessimistic.). Thank God I still write my own schedule for two more weeks!

It was GREAT. If you get emotional at movies, take tissues. I'll have to see it a couple more times to get the true effect it has on me. (Had to do the same with the other two.) After Christmas, after Christmas...

I can't wait to see what the extended edition is like! Peter Jackson did NOT disappoint in ANY way, shape, or form! I won't spoil it with my favorite parts - I'll wait 'til a few more have seen it...

I seen it last night with my brother..Opening night. We bought the tickets at Movietickets.com and then picked up the tickets at the cinema..Much, much better. Not waiting in lines. Amazing movie as were the other 2..Yes, I won't say any spoilers here only that it is somewhat emotional in spots..I thoroughly enjoyed it..

meh, the worst series of books and films IMHO....now, now, now - dont give me that look, and put your guns away - i just couldnt get into it.

as Cpt. Bolivar knows, Im an action person, but fantasy has never appealed to me - except Mr. Potter!

meh, the worst series of books and films IMHO....now, now, now - dont give me that look, and put your guns away - i just couldnt get into it.

as Cpt. Bolivar knows, Im an action person, but fantasy has never appealed to me - except Mr. Potter!

Commodore Spacetigger walks into the room draws his phaser and drops Trekzone where he stands. He turns to security. Take him to the Brig and let him think about what he has done..And while he's in there play the Lord of the Rings Trilogy for him in a continuous loop...

Stardate:213938.6

I went and seen it at the first showing(midnight of the 17th) and my reaction was similar to that seen here in yesterdays PVP comic strip

Click for Spoiler:

pvp20031217.gif

It'd Be More Acurate To Call ROTK A War Movie, Rather Than Fantasy. True, It Has Fanasy Elements, But Of LOTR Doesn't Have Enough Action For You, You Must Have Been Sleeping ;)

Trekzone, I agree with you. I myself am not a fan of fantasy either. However, because of the praise that the LOTR movies get, I have seen every single one, including the third last night.

I even own the first because to get a great deal with Columbia house I had to choose one movie from a predetermined list. I owned almost all of them so I got the LOTR. I really wasn't too happy with that cause the first movie is rather boring to me. They just seem to move from one locale to another, then to another... and on and on... blah blah blah, then it just ends in the most annoying way... it doesn't end!

Then I saw the second movie at a friends. I was bored thru the whole movie. I could not get into that one at all. I think its because I think so scientifically, magical things just dont sit right with me... and a ring that holds all this power is what I'd call magical... boo.

Last night I saw the third. I liked the opening... but was bored again for awhile. Once the big spider appeared the movie picked up and was good for next LONG while. Was it worth 13 bucks to see the movie. No, but it was worth 13 bucks to spend some time with my friends.

So now I've got the first movie on DVD and do not want the other 2, but it isn't complete without them. I suppose I should give it away or sell it. I can see how they might be good movies, but they just don't appeal to me. Now if any of you have a problem with anything I said, that is fine. But I don't wanna freakin hear it! I hate it when people think you suck cause you don't like a particular movie. Sometimes I think people pretend to like movies like these because it's the cool thing to do.

On a brighter note: the scenery in the movies could not be better and I love how they actually use a real musical score... that is something that needs to be used more these days.

Yeah, The Ring Is Magical, But There's Barely Any Magic Itself Being Used In These Movies.

Anyways...I Don't Think You Suck. It's Good That You Stand Behind Your Opinion.

I really wasn't too happy with that cause the first movie is rather boring to me.  They just seem to move from one locale to another, then to another... and on and on... blah blah blah, then it just ends in the most annoying way... it doesn't end! 

Then I saw the second movie at a friends.  I was bored thru the whole movie.  I could not get into that one at all.  I think its because I think so scientifically, magical things just dont sit right with me... and a ring that holds all this power is what I'd call magical... boo.

Last night I saw the third.  I liked the opening... but was bored again for awhile.  Once the big spider appeared the movie picked up and was good for next LONG while.  Was it worth 13 bucks to see the movie.  No, but it was worth 13 bucks to spend some time with my friends. 

So now I've got the first movie on DVD and do not want the other 2, but it isn't complete without them.  I suppose I should give it away or sell it.  I can see how they might be good movies, but they just don't appeal to me. Now if any of you have a problem with anything I said, that is fine.  But I don't wanna freakin hear it!  I hate it when people think you suck cause you don't like a particular movie.  Sometimes I think people pretend to like movies like these because it's the cool thing to do.

On a brighter note: the scenery in the movies could not be better and I love how they actually use a real musical score... that is something that needs to be used more these days.

To each his own. Everybody has different likes and dislikes..Glad you stand behind your opinion...One question..How can you like Star Trek and not Fantasy? In my opinion Star Trek is Fantasy..It's just as magical...

To quote Uhura in ST 3.."This is not reality..It's Fantasy" !!

Commodore TREKZONE rises from the brig after 30 days of solitary......

I WILL NEVER HEAD!!! LOTR is toooooo borring !!!!.....give me modern war anyday

I admit that by itself, the first movie is pretty boring. Even the second one is pretty boring by itself (I lost intrest in Helm's Deep after 5 minutes, but it kept going and going and going). However, when but into the big picture with all three flicks (havent seen the 3rd but have read the books), it is a pretty wicked trilogy. (although i still think star wars is far superior)

I Suppose Ya Just Have To Be A Fan Of Mid-Evil War And Old RPGs To Like These Movies :biggrin:

Not really, I think a lot of fans of the books like the movies

I read the books for the first time about thirty years ago and when FOTR came out I was fascinated that someone was able to bring the world of middle earth to the big screen. I'll see ROTK in a couple of weeks.

Maybe Frodo's surroundings are fantasy but evil isn't a fantasy. It may wear a human face but it exists and Frodo's choice "Will you risk personal danger or perhaps loss of life to fight against evil" is very real for a lot of people.

I watch movies like this and ask myself what would I do. Would I have joined the fellowship or hightailed it back to safety and comfort?

Funny, how people are different I didn't get bored in either movie but I nearly died of boredom during the Matrix.

I still have not decided whether to wait for it to come out on video or dvd, which is what I almost always do, or actually give in and go to the theater in the next couple of weeks. I do intend to see the film.

I never read the Lord of the Rings. My sister read it and tried to get me to read it, and dragged me to theater with her to see an animated version of it a long time ago.

I like most the contrast of heroes. Of course you have the brave dashing Aragorn and Legolas and I can't bring up the dwarf's name. These people know adventure and battle and danger. But the little Hobbits...happy -go -lucky, as far as you can get from power-seeking and adventurous, drawn into this quest. Frodo and Sam, so often confessing the difficulty of it all, to the point of tears, have completely drawn me in!

I saw it two nights ago and BRAVO! Best of the trilogy.

Click for Spoiler:

I did think that all of the battle scenes did get a little monotonous after a while, just like the second film. In the first to films, I always wanted to hear about Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli because they had the more interesting scenes. But in this one, I wanted to hear more about Frodo.

I read the books about 5 years or maybe a bit less ago and I think that

Click for Spoiler:

they should have ended the second film with the spider (her name escapes me) attacking Frodo and him being carried off to Mordor. After I read that in the book I was like OH......... MY........... GOD! I absolutely had to pick up the next book right away. In the movie I thought it was alot less dramatic.

It was a great movie and I loved how the end of the film stayed true to the end of the book:

Click for Spoiler:

"Well, I'm back."

I give it a 4.5/5. It lost a few points for a few too many battle scenes.

well count me in as a big fan i loved all three movies, and i seen ROTk FOR THE SECOND TIME TODAY. it is a great movie. i love frodos quote at the end of the movie. i cant think of it other than "how can we pick up the threads of our lives" can anyone think of the rest of that and post it or pm me with it, its just perfect for how ive been feeling lately. anyway scifi fantasy, action adventure i love it all and to me the LOTR trilogy had, and has it all.

I went to see this film, with my fiance, and i thought it absolutely kicked @$$!!! She thought it was great too, but it did drag on a bit though..

the only part that i thought really dragged at all was the end, but i wouldnt of had them do it any different, it gave you insight to what happened to everyone afterward.

I saw it the day after Christmas and it was amazing. I thought all the actors were really good especially Sean Astin (I think he could get best supporting actor).

I was glad that Hugo Weaving had a larger role again. I think he's a great actor (especially as Agent Smith).

The battle scenes were great and the story was packed with emotion. Probably the best movie I've ever seen.

10/10