Sign in to follow this  
edmcgon

Saddam Hussein

From CNN.com:

Former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein has possibly been captured in a raid near his hometown of Tikrit, U.S. officials say.

However, the officials told CNN on Sunday that the identity of the individual, who was one of a number of suspected insurgents caught, was still being confirmed.

:dude:

If true, this is wonderful news for the U.S. and Iraq. While I do not expect this will end the terrorism in Iraq (I think most of it is from Al Quada and other terrorist groups), it should cut down on the attacks from Saddam loyalists.

Any thoughts?

picH_hussein_031125_240wide.jpg

NEWS FLASH!!!

Saddam Hussein has been captured

personally i dont believe it! its too easy, and in his home town no less!

031214_lastsaddamappearance_hmed_320am.hmedium.jpg

Click for Spoiler:

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Prime Minister Tony Blair confirmed Sunday that deposed Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein had been captured alive in Iraq, saying in a statement that Saddam was apprehended Saturday night.

The seizure of Saddam also was confirmed by the Iraqi Governing Council and the U.S. military scheduled a “very important” news conference for 7 am ET,

"I very much welcome the capture last night of Saddam Hussein," Blair said in a statement released by his office. "This is very good news for the people of Iraq. It removes

the shadow that has been hanging over them for too long of the nightmare of a return to the Saddam regime."

"This fear is now removed," the statement continued. "It also gives an opportunity for Saddam to be tried in Iraqi courts for his crimes against the Iraqi people. We should try now to unite the whole of Iraq in rebuilding the country and offering it a new future."

Blair added, "I pay tribute to the work of the coalition intelligence and military forces in capturing him."

The prime minister faced substantial domestic opposition for his decision to commit British troops to the Iraq war and is sure to get a major political boost from the reported capture.

U.S. details

In the United States, a U.S. official told NBC News that the military believed that Saddam has been captured although it is awaiting DNA confirmation. The deposed Iraqi leader was apparently hidding in the cellar of a house in Tikrit, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Separately, a U.S. official told the Associated Press that the captured man's appearance did not immediately look like Saddam, but additional efforts to ascertain his identity indicated he was the former leader.

The officials spoke only on condition of anonymity.

Dara Noor al-Din, a member of the U.S.-appointed Governing Council, told The Associated Press that the council was informed of the former dictator's capture in a telephone call from L. Paul Bremer, the U.S. administrator for Iraq.

"Bremer has confirmed to the Governing Council that Saddam was captured in Tikrit," Noor al-Din said. "He spoke on the phone to several members, including Ahmad Chalabi."

Chalabi is a leading member of the council who has close links to the U.S. administration of President George W. Bush.

Another Governing Council member, Jalal Talabani, was earlier quoted by Iran's official news agency, IRNA, as saying Saddam had been captured in Tikrit. Talabani is currently traveling in Spain.

Rumors in Kirkuk

Earlier in the day, rumors of the capture sent people streaming into the streets of Kirkuk, a northern Iraqi city, firing guns in the air in celebration.

"We are celebrating like it's a wedding," said Kirkuk resident Mustapha Sheriff. "We are finally rid of that criminal."

"This is the joy of a lifetime," said Ali Al-Bashiri, another resident. "I am speaking on behalf of all the people that suffered under his rule."

Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this story.

from MSNBC

Saddam has been found in a hole 8 feet from his house in Tikirt. It was the 4th infatry division that found him. They got him without firing a shot. He was then wisked to Baghdad Airport.

Coalition News Conference:

Paul Bremmer - Iraqi Administrator

Ladies & Gentlemen ..... We Got Him!

Edited by trekzone

Click for Spoiler:

saddamm_001.jpgsaddamm_002.jpg

saddamm_003.jpgsaddamm_004.jpg

some images from the press conference in Iraq.

Edited by trekzone

This is great news, this proves that these things take time, and everyone gets what they deserve in the end. Well done President Bush & all of our troops.

The latest quote from Baghdad Bob...

"Our great leader was not captured today. There are no American soldiers in Tikret. We have killed them all like bugs. The image of Saddam was created in Hollywood, California with the Governor and actors and computers and paint. Our great leader is free and the American soldiers will not get him. We will drive them out of Tikret and out of Iraq. They were never in Baghdad in the first place. Long live Saddam Hussein!"

The latest quote from Baghdad Bob...

"Our great leader was not captured today. There are no American soldiers in Tikret. We have killed them all like bugs. The image of Saddam was created in Hollywood, California with the Governor and actors and computers and paint. Our great leader is free and the American soldiers will not get him. We will drive them out of Tikret and out of Iraq. They were never in Baghdad in the first place. Long live Saddam Hussein!"

Did you notice where he says there are no soldiers in Tikret, and then just moments later says "We will drive them out of Tikret and Iraq". What an idiot. if anyone believe this dribble then they must be just as stupid as Bagdad Bob.

Congrats to the military personell that took part in this great capture, a job well done.

I also noticed that this mission was intitled "Operation Red Dawn" and the two teams that went in were called "Wolverine 1 and Wolverine 2". I then relized that whoever came up with this plan must have been a movie buff that liked the Patrick Swayze film "Red Dawn" about a group of American teenage boys that fight a gurrella war against the Russians and Cubans after the communist invade and claim a big chunk of the United States. The boys called themselves 'Wolverines' after thier high school football teams name.

Hmm, good news, but I'm not sure it really makes a difference to the world's safety. He was living in a little hole in the ground with a pipe to give him air and water. I'm pretty sure the world was safe from Saddam ever gaining power again even if he wasn't caught. But now, at least, we can be certain! Hooray!

Hmm, good news, but I'm not sure it really makes a difference to the world's safety.  He was living in a little hole in the ground with a pipe to give him air and water.  I'm pretty sure the world was safe from Saddam ever gaining power again even if he wasn't caught.  But now, at least, we can be certain!  Hooray!

lol. ya. but its still good news.

Hmm, good news, but I'm not sure it really makes a difference to the world's safety.  He was living in a little hole in the ground with a pipe to give him air and water.  I'm pretty sure the world was safe from Saddam ever gaining power again even if he wasn't caught.  But now, at least, we can be certain!  Hooray!

Sometimes a person becomes a symbol and when that symbol is free it fuels the terrorists to continue their resistance. By showing him as the rat he is, hiding in a hole and meekly giving up while calling for others to fight to the death it will go far in killing the resistance. Also, if someone were to win the election in the US that was opposed to the war and decided to completely pull US troops out of Iraq while Saddam was still alive then there was a very real possibility that he could come back and take control.

Don't underestimate the power of symbolism.

Sometimes a person becomes a symbol and when that symbol is free it fuels the terrorists to continue their resistance. By showing him as the rat he is, hiding in a hole and meekly giving up while calling for others to fight to the death it will go far in killing the resistance. Also, if someone were to win the election in the US that was opposed to the war and decided to completely pull US troops out of Iraq while Saddam was still alive then there was a very real possibility that he could come back and take control.

Don't underestimate the power of symbolism.

Right On VBG.

Anyway, I'm Happy To Hear This. Anyone Else Watch On TV Or Listen On The Radio To Bush's Address?

One thing im not sure about though:

The capture of Saddam Hussein does not mean the end of violence in Iraq," Bush said. "The United States of America will not relent until the war is won."

Wasn't the whole purpouse of the war to change the regime in Iraq and capture Saddam. Well those are both done. Isn't the war over then??

Saddam Hussein will go down in history as one of the worst dictators of the 20-21st centuries. We Americans should not celebrate this- that is the right of the people of Iraq. Instead, we should honor the memories of those who died at Saddams hands, particularly the Kurdish people who were the target of genocidal attacks by Saddam's Iraqi troops for decades.

Our troops did their sworn duty, and did their best to protect the people of Iraq, and for this let's honor them. But keep in mind that there is still no evidence of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, or any link to 9/11. In fact, there is more evidence against there being a link between Hussein and the bombing than there is for it.

The capture of Saddam is a great event, let it not keep us from seeking the truth from our own government.

It's good news Saddam has been captured. Maybe some of our troops over there can come home and be with their families next Christmas. Now it's time to find Bin LAden who I think is even more of a threat.

Now, enter the French and German back pedaling hoping that we'll forget about their BS. Here's their quotes about Saddam's capture...

French President Jacques Chirac -- who also negotiated with Saddam in the early 1980s when he was prime minister in Paris -- said the capture was a "major event which should strongly contribute to the democratisation and stabilisation of Iraq".

German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder sent a message of congratulations to Bush saying: "It is with great joy that I learned of the capture of Saddam Hussein. I congratulate you on this successful action."

All I have to say is "Wow."

Saddam is a very evil man. I am glad that he can no longer be a symbol to those who championed his ways. The people living in Iraq, and those who fled in fear need no longer live in fear of his return. I hope now that our troops will be safer. I hope also this will speed up the day when they can come home to their families

how will they kill him? i hope they do it the tradtional muslim way, stoning.

any way, if we leave iraq now they will just kill off the new iraqi government. 17 iraqi policemen dead!? they are killing their own people. until these attacks go down to at least a monthly occurence and the new iraqi government has gotten its own milatary on its feet, we need to stay there.

Stardate:213937.3

The question is now were will he trial be??????

I think the possibility of it being in America is slim to none.An international tribunal is probably not gonna happen cause we basiclly told the UN to suck it when we invaded Iraq.I think it will be held in Iraq.But as far as it being a good trial I dont know

It's good news Saddam has been captured.  Maybe some of our troops over there can come home and be with their families next Christmas.  Now it's time to find Bin LAden who I think is even more of a threat.

I would also hope that Bin Laden could be captured.

I am glad the administration, while rejoicing about the capture of Saddam Hussein, also have cautioned us that we still have a tough road ahead.

Stardate:213937.3

The question is now were will he trial be??????

I think the possibility of it being in America is slim to none.An international tribunal is probably not gonna happen cause we basiclly told the UN to suck it when we invaded Iraq.I think it will be held in Iraq.But as far as it being a good trial I dont know

I think that an international tribunal is a possibility because the UN would want to intercede to insure that he is receiving a fair trial.

i heard that the US is going to hand him over to the Iraqis for trial - to help the building of the new Iraq by trying the old Iraq.