Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

How to preserve your Season Box Sets!

OK, we have seven seasons, each encased in cardbaord cases. As we all know, cardboard wears faster than plastic. How do preserve the sets so the last? Keep one of those flat plastic CD cases with your TNG season sets, and keep you're current TNG disc in it. This way, you only go in your sets to swap to the next disc. Good idea? :rolleyes:

Actually, it seems like pretty sturdy cardboard, but I guess if you use it a LOT, it might wear out. Your idea seems logical. It would save wear and tear on the case from overuse.

I had the Movie Video box set (the one TMP to FC) and the box out lived the Video's I still have the box and it's in pretty good shape considering what it's been through but the Videos are long gone what with watching them too many time etc,

What condition do you find the sets when you buy them?

Everyone of the sets I have bought so far have scratches on the plastic boxes and have plastic teeth broken in the CD holder which holds the first CD in its place. Also I've had one disk scratched which thankfully was replaced.

I buy my sets through mail order and was wondering do you find the sets available from the shops in better condition? :rolleyes:

stars, go to the shop - it saves on pain later on --- here in Aus, our posties dont much care for care

I'm so glad the European TNG boxes are made of plastic, not cardboard. So I think they'll be there for a looooong time, not getting seriously damaged if I take them into my hands too often :rolleyes:

Mrs. Captain Picard

What condition do you find the sets when you buy them?

Everyone of the sets I have bought so far have scratches on the plastic boxes and have plastic teeth broken in the CD holder which holds the first CD in its place. Also I've had one disk scratched which thankfully was replaced.

I buy my sets through mail order and was wondering do you find the sets available from the shops in better condition? :bag:

I get my season sets from Wal-Mart or through E-Bay, allways brand new, never before opened. Maybe you're getting used sets? :rolleyes: Anywho, if they're damaged, just exchange them.

They are not used sets. They are brand spanking new. I decided not to exchange them as I would need to get all four sets replaced. :biggrin: I'm going to buy one at Kmart on the holidays and see if it is in better condition. Here's hoping.

OK, we have seven seasons, each encased in cardbaord cases.  As we all know, cardboard wears faster than plastic.  How do preserve the sets so the last?  Keep one of those flat plastic CD cases with your TNG season sets, and keep you're current TNG disc in it.  This way, you only go in your sets to swap to the next disc.  Good idea? :)

Yeah thats a good idea. We save wear and tear on our packages by putting 5 disc into the changer at once then not opening the boxes again until we've seen them all. Other DVD's such as movies we rent get watched in the second DVD player. :dude:

What I have always done with pretty much any CD set that I want to insure that the case stays in good condition is this. I by empty jewel cases and put the CD/DVD in the case and store the original case in a safe place where it cannot be damaged.

The best way to make sure the original stays in original condition is to not use it. I know that's not practical for everyone (yet) but what I do is make a backup copy that also has it's own DVD case (they are only about $0.15 ea). You then take the original and put it away and only use the back up copy. If something happens to the backup copy then you pull the original out and make a new back up.

And yes this practice is legal as long as you own the original copy and still possess it.

The best way to make sure the original stays in original condition is to not use it. I know that's not practical for everyone (yet) but what I do is make a backup copy that also has it's own DVD case (they are only about $0.15 ea). You then take the original and put it away and only use the back up copy. If something happens to the backup copy then you pull the original out and make a new back up.

And yes this practice is legal as long as you own the original copy and still possess it.

How do you make a copy of a DVD? You must need a special DVD machine?!

How do you make a copy of a DVD? You must need a special DVD machine?!

I have a DVD writer in my computer and with that you can make DVDs or copy DVD's. If you have a DVD writer then all you need is a DVD copying program. I use DVD Shrink because most commercial DVD's are 7 to 9 Gigabytes and a DVD-R will only hold 4.7 Gigabytes so in order to back up a commercial DVD you have to run it through DVD Shrink to compress the data then burn the new DVD files (Called VOB files) to a blank DVD.

I also have an All In Wonder vodep card so I record TV (like last night's Survivor) and then I can make it into a DVD. For that I use TMPGEnc for authoring the DVD. It's pretty cool. I'll be recording tonight's Eagles-Dolphins game for a DVD too in fact.

I do it the same way with music CD's but until I get a DVD burner I can't do the same with DVD's. I do however rip most of the movies from my DVD's and recode them to Divx so that I can burn them onto two normal CD's and unless I am watching the movie and doing nothing else I watch the Divx version as most of the time I am just listening to the movie while working on the computer.

OK, we have seven seasons, each encased in cardbaord cases.  As we all know, cardboard wears faster than plastic.  How do preserve the sets so the last?  Keep one of those flat plastic CD cases with your TNG season sets, and keep you're current TNG disc in it.  This way, you only go in your sets to swap to the next disc.  Good idea? :laugh:

Or, you could just wait until AOL sends you yet ANOTHER unwanted disc in a DVD box and use that :jaw: B) :o