Sign in to follow this  
DrWho42

Max Headroom is FINALLY being released on DVD!

340x_custom_1280856512946_maxheadroomdvd.jpg

Almost 25 years ago, this ABC show saw a future dominated by round-the-clock television, cutthroat network jockeying, and an all-but-extinct spirit of investigative journalism kept alive by Edison Carter (Matt Frewer) and his computer avatar, Max Headroom. Back then, it was merely science fiction. And the network — go figure — canceled it after 14 episodes and it's been lost in the ether ever since. But now the show finally makes it's DVD debut. Rejoice! (8/10)

Source: io9

:P I remember first seeing this on TechTV (before their unfortunate merger with G4) back in the days when they would use to air The Thunderbirds and the movie Forbidden Planet.

I barely remember this TV show. I just rememeber that my parents were fans. I was only 2 years old 25 years ago

Yikes! That probably means I am older than your parents.

People watched it because they thought they were going to get the same Max Headroom from the New Coke (yuck!) commercials and MTV. They weren't expecting an intelligent series about powerful media, corporations, and questions about what role democracy does and doesn't play in society with Max mostly in a support role. So no wonder it didn't do well. It was marketed to the wrong demographic. It would probably do a lot better today.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

If you do buy it, make sure you watch the episodes in the order they were made. This is different than the order they were aired. Otherwise you will see references to things that haven't happened yet.

as to whether it is worth buying - it is a niche item like Rocky Horror. If you like it, get it. If you don't know about it you won't miss it.

It sucked

I'll grant it wasn't for everyone. As I said before they marketed it the wrong way. The issues they presented, however, were ahead of their time and would probably be more relevant to today's market. Many of the predictions about how society would evolve have come to pass.

I doubt we'll buy it but we do remember it. At the time it was airing, a nearby liquor store was selling 20 oz cans of Coke with his image on it. We must have bought a hundred of them.

I won't be buying Max Headroom, I didn't like it when it was first run and can't see where time has made the show any less annoying.