Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Story Arcs VS Stand-Alone Episodes

Which do you prefer?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Story Arcs
    • Stand-Alone Episodes
    • A balanced mix of story arcs & stand-alone episodes.

I voted for A balanced mix of story arcs & stand-alone episodes. While I love having story arcs, I think Trek works best as an episodic show. However, since this is a prequal, I'm expecting DS9-style story arcs. Just as long as we get our stand-alones, I'm happy. :clap:

I voted for a mix as well. I really enjoyed the story arcs in DS9 and would like to see that type of thing continued. They also need the stand-alones to prolong the suspense and have the opportunity to address other issues.

Hmm... I like some shows like that, but this is Star Trek, a show about explorring strange new worlds and seeking out new life forms and new civlizations, boldly going where no one has gone before. With that said, I prefer about half stand-alones and half arc episodes. Well, it depends on the show. Me, I've never been fond of season-long story arcs. I prefer story arcs that run anywhere from a few episodes to the length of the series, no boundaries set. Anywho, I kind'a lost where I was going, so I'll stop here. :clap:

a balanced mix, to keep interest alive and so that it is not the same monotones stuff week in week out.

I voted mix but balanced doesn't to me mean 50/50. I think I liked Exile so much because there was more to it than just fighting the Xindi, I mean the search for the Xindi was the theme of the show but we got to see more of Hoshi (I meant character development although that purple dress was quite revealing lol).

There have been a lot of action plots this season - a lot of action but action without a good storyline is boring to me. And I'm beginning to feel character development is taking a backseat to action. Although as I stated elsewhere I am liking the new Archer.

I think both should be there. If everything is one big story arch ENT would become kind of soap opera in space or something :) , and I would be very angry when I miss an episode and don't know what's going on anymore when I haven't seen one :clap:

Stand-alone episodes are also needed, I wouldn't mind if there were only stand-alone episodes which refer a little bit to former ones (or something like that).

Mrs. Captain Picard

I do like a mix but it really depends on the show ds9 had a really long arc and I liked it but next gens only story arc was Q and that was fine with me as with ds9 you kinda have to watch them in a certen order as next gen you can watch them in any most order that you want to.

Well, I say it depends on the show. TOS, DS9, & VOY were ment to be episodic with DS9 being episodic in seasons 1-3 and serialised in seasons 4-7. ENT needs to be a mix of stand-alone episodes and story arcs. This is a ship of explorration, so after this Xindi-arc, I'm hoping for a boat load of stand-alones! :)