Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

The Maquis

Did the TNG & DS9 "Maquis" episodes planned to set up VOY, or were they just an existing story that the VOY producers decided to use. Does anyone know?

Personally, I allways thought the Maquis was a DS9 story featured on TNG a few times, and then used as a conflict for VOY.

Your guess is as good as mine,CJLP.I always kind of thought the Maquis storyline was put together for Ro Laren (Michelle Forbes possible inclusion in DS9),and the Voyager writers just made use of the existing storyline from TNG/DS9.I could be wrong.

On a completely unrelated note,I never saw the Maquis as bad guys.In fact,I sympathized with them for the most part.The Federation did act very un-Federation-like in exchanging settled territory with the Cardassians without so much as seeking the approval of those worlds citizens.Surely,there were other options for ending the Federation-Cardassian conflict.

i liked the Maquis, for the simple fact of having "rebel" terrans, with all the "hard shell, by the book" terrans, not just Starfleet but civys as well, i liked the change, showing that everything is not sweet in a derived future

I was a HUGE Maquis sympathizer as well.The UFP Border Colonies got a raw deal,and,IMO,had every right to defend themselves against their unlawful handover to the Cardassian Union.The Federation had no right to do this without the permission of the colinial planetary government's involved and/or the conscent of the native settlers.Picard was right when he compared the forced evacuation of native americans on that one planet (I forgot the name...I am a bad Trekkie :P ),to the inhumane and criminal acts his ancestor perpetrated on the native americans on Earth.This action was just so unlike the Federation,that I still find myself wondering what happened.

I don't think they set them up deliberately for Voyager. I think they created this great political plotline, tied it in on TNG, and then realized that it was a great hook/tie-in for Voyager.

Personally, I have a hard time blaming the Maquis for their actions. However, I also have a problem with terrorism. Which is precisely the conflict the audience is supposed to have. Jail people for defending their homes and families? The point has been made, and is correct - the Federation never should have handed those planets over without their consent.

Related question - The Cardies started suffocating those colonies ASAP. What happened to the Cardie colonies on the Fed side of the DMZ? Didn't they say there were some? I know the Fed would never treat them the way the Maquis were treated, but did those colonists consider themselves Union citizens anymore? What would I do if I were separated from home for no good reason, and yet not mistreated? Just accept the situation????

I don't think they set them up deliberately for Voyager.  I think they created this great political plotline, tied it in on TNG, and then realized that it was a great hook/tie-in for Voyager.

Personally, I have a hard time blaming the Maquis for their actions.  However, I also have a problem with terrorism.  Which is precisely the conflict the audience is supposed to have.  Jail people for defending their homes and families?  The point has been made, and is correct - the Federation never should have handed those planets over without their consent.

Related question - The Cardies started suffocating those colonies ASAP.  What happened to the Cardie colonies on the Fed side of the DMZ?  Didn't they say there were some?  I know the Fed would never treat them the way the Maquis were treated, but did those colonists consider themselves Union citizens anymore?  What would I do if I were separated from home for no good reason, and yet not mistreated?  Just accept the situation????

You make some great points about the DMZ situation!

I felt bad for the Maquis,but the way I saw it,the war had been dragging on for decades and untold thousands on both sides had suffered as a result.The Federation was under a great deal of pressure internally to put an end to this conflict,and when the deal was proposed by whomever (I have read that Picard authored the deal,but do not believe this is "official"),then the UFP decided the good of the many outweighed the good of the few (the settlers along the DMZ).

The war was ended.

If I had been a Starfleet officer,I would have felt a certain ammount of empathy for the Maquis,but would have hunted them down,anyway.If only to preserve the fragile peace.And,in many cases,they were terrorists.And,some Maquis were particularly vicious,criminals,and mercenaries who would just as gladly kill Federation citizens as Cardassians.

I feel the Federation made the right decision in ending the war.Sometimes,there are no easy answers to problems.Kobayashi Maru. :bow:

i think that i would do the same thing if caught in asituation like the maquis. just imagine if they ended up like the american colinies and created the most powerful civaliztion in space.

I liked the Maquis. I don't necessarily think that they were set up to introduce Voyager. I would have liked to seen them explored a little more. It was a very interesting addition.