Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Stereotyped?

Why do react strangely when people learn you are a Trek fan? I told someone I was a Trek fan about a week ago and they literally gasped. It's as if they were saying "I feel so sorry for you." It was kind of funny. What is it about Trek where people get a bad reaction when the name comes up? I think it all has to do with the other person never watching an episode. I think almost everyone in the world would be a Trekkie if they actually watched it

I dunno, I've never really had a negative reaction when I said "I like Star Trek". Not from men, anyway. *lol* A few women thought it to be amusing, though... but they weren't really shocked or something... they were more shocked when I told them that I give a damn about make up & fashion. *lol*

I have heard about reactions such as the one you describe, though. I would simply ignore it. I mean it's THEIR loss if they don't bother to even watch Trek. :clap: I can see why it is annoying to get this "OMG you like that kind of stuff?" - reaction, though.

I just attribute it to trekkies being smarter than the average population so we'll always be in a minority. :clap:

I like that!!! Great one, UH.