Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Underwire Bra Dispute Causes Woman To Miss Her Flight

Underwire bra dispute causes woman to miss her flightby Anna Brones Aug 26th 2008 @ 5:00PM

First it was loose change in your pockets, then it was jewelry, and then it was shoes. For Jet Blue passenger Nancy Kates, it seems like bras might be the next thing to go in the airport security line. A big-busted woman, Kates was wearing a large underwire bra as she went through the security check at Oakland International Airport but when it set off the metal detector she was pulled aside by a TSA agent.

Kates accuses the agent of getting a little too personal. "The woman touched my breast. I said, 'You can't do that,' " Kates said. "She said, 'We have to pat you down.' I said, 'You can't treat me as a criminal for wearing a bra.' "

Refusing to be fondled, Kates asked to see a supervisor and then the supervisor's surpervisor. Kates reminded the TSA agents that the Constitution bars unreasonable searches and that "scrutinizing a woman's brassiere is surely unreasonable." She was offered a private room to have her pat-down, but Kates refused. Instead she asked if she could simply remove her bra, to which the TSA agent agreed. This isn't the first breast related TSA incident, but the whole escapade took 40 minutes and caused Kates to miss her flight. Jet Blue was nice enough to put her on another one.

Being a woman, I myself have had the bra pat-down several times, and I'm sure there are other fellow females on the Gadling team that have gone through the same experience. Normally such pat-downs are off limits to fingers; TSA agents only use the side of their hands. But all the same it's still a little unnerving. As Kates said, "If I was carrying nail clippers and forgot about them, I wouldn't have gotten so upset. But here I was just wearing my underwear."

:Hmmm...:

I don't view breasts as a 'private' part, so I see nothing wrong with making sure a woman isn't hiding some random illicit item in there (as long as we're checking for illicit items to begin with.)

Actually before the terrorist thing happened I was able (accidentally) to carry a 3 inch pocket knife on board an airliner...I was nine years old so I thought I'd make use of it by carving my empty Sprite can into a spring. The flight attendants had no problem with anything they saw me doing. :Hmmm...:

I also figured out a way (also by accident) to carry TWELVE INCH LONG thick and sharp blades aboard a plane in 2006. :Hmmm...: Since this one is quite easy and still valid, I won't divulge it here.

Edited by Eratosthenes

Even touch my breasts and you can expect to sing in a high tone than ever before or see little stars and birdies

If I had a "Pat Down", I would laugh like a horse and curl up on the floor kicking everything in sight.

I am so ticklish. Seriously. You only have to touch me and I go hysterical and everything. So if they catch me, and with a laugh like that, I'd be refused to fly in case I scare anyone off.

:Hmmm...::Hmmm...: :P

What would they do if I did that? I no doubt would.

Edited by Cara

Breasts are private and nobody's touching them without my say so, period. I just avoid this by wearing metal free sports bras when flying. I can change once I'm past security if I need to.

A pat down does not involve the chest unless there are explosive detected. I have been through a pat down that did not involve the chest area.

It is a shame we have reached such a point in our society that people no longer have the right to be treated with basic respect. I understand the screeners can't make exceptions but it is a still shame we have come to this. They should tell you when you book the flight not to wear underwire so women can make other clothing arrangements.

My problem is that mentally I'm already beyond this...I equate almost everything across race and gender lines...so I don't see the difference (at all) between a man and a woman being touched there other than the increased liklihood of a woman being touched simply because of the generally higher amount of clothing for women in that area. Otherwise...what's the big deal?

If it was out onthe street, it would be classed as sexual assault.

It is a big deal. As RC stated breast are private parts. I do not want a man, other than my husband, to touch my breasts. PERIOD! She told them she wears a wire bra, and that should have been enough. People common sense. Oh, I forgot since I work for the same government, common sense is official banned. My bad.

Airport Pat-Down Protocol Changed

Women Complained That Security Checks Were Humiliating

By Sara Kehaulani Goo

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, December 23, 2004; Page E01

Airport security screeners this week will be instructed not to touch women passengers between their breasts as part of new pat-down procedures, the Transportation Security Administration said yesterday.

The agency said it is making a modification to its searching methods that began in September after more than 400 passengers -- mostly women -- formally complained that the experience was invasive, humiliating and akin to being molested.

I do like RikerChick (except I do not wear a Bra :Hmmm...: ) no belts with buckles shoes with metal or anything that would cause me problems. I just want to get to were I am going with the least hassle. Also Irene as cute as you are they are probably looking for excuses to pat you down. :Hmmm...:

It is a big deal. As RC stated breast are private parts. I do not want a man, other than my husband, to touch my breasts. PERIOD! She told them she wears a wire bra, and that should have been enough. People common sense. Oh, I forgot since I work for the same government, common sense is official banned. My bad.

Airport Pat-Down Protocol Changed

Women Complained That Security Checks Were Humiliating

By Sara Kehaulani Goo

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, December 23, 2004; Page E01

Airport security screeners this week will be instructed not to touch women passengers between their breasts as part of new pat-down procedures, the Transportation Security Administration said yesterday.

The agency said it is making a modification to its searching methods that began in September after more than 400 passengers -- mostly women -- formally complained that the experience was invasive, humiliating and akin to being molested.

I know that many women believe that part of their body to be private and I respect that, but I personally don't see a difference (other than size and function0 between men and women in that area. Honestly I feel it's a dis-service by society as a whole that in most situations women are either forced or strongly urged to cover that part of their body while men don't have to at all. I know bras can be extremely helpful as far as comfort and whatnot, but it should be the choice of the individual whether or not to cover them...but I've digressed.

Also, it was a woman official that patted down the passenger. That's a policy airlines have.

Edited by Eratosthenes

Also, it was a woman official that patted down the passenger. That's a policy airlines have.

It's TSA policy not the airlines.

I had to wear a medical device when I injured my back that would put the TSA into panic mode. It was a back brace that looked like a corset , it had 8 custom bent steel bars in the back in pockets to support my back. They would probably declare those bars to be weapons.

What if, say, someone had an artifical limb? Would it affect it then?

:b-day::cold:

There was a story in the news a few years back that an attorney in a courthouse (not airport) had to remove his prosthesis because it set off the metal detector.

I believe people with metal pins/plates etc in their bodies can get a medical card - I don't know if it applies to removable medical prosthetics or not.

What surprises me is how much I have learned about people and their views from this post.

Hopefully nothing too bad. :look:

I think, for once, Van_Roy hasn't been pervy! :b-day::clap::stars::cold:

:cold:

What surprises me is how much I have learned about people and their views from this post.

I think, for once, Van_Roy hasn't been pervy! :b-day::look::stars::cold:

:cold:

:clap:

I think he knew better in this case.

I think, for once, Van_Roy hasn't been pervy! :cold::look::clap::cold:

:stars:

:look:

I think he knew better in this case.

Hey, I'm not complaining :b-day: .

Van Roy has been very busy at work and hasn't been able to come on much. I'm sure that once things calm down, he will be back and will make an appropriately pervy remark in this thread..... :b-day: