Sign in to follow this  
DaboGirl

J.J. Abrams Confirmed No William Shatner in 'Star Trek'

10 members have voted

1. 1. No Shatner in Star Trek XI

• Let Chris Pine shine as Kirk
    • You can't have Kirk without Shanter

Putting the William Shatner's appearance rumor to rest, the 'Star Trek' director simply rejected the idea that the actor will be seen in the movie.

320x240.jpg

Providing a certain answer to fans' still-burning question about the possibility of William Shatner making an appearance in the upcoming "Star Trek", director J.J. Abrams puts any speculations to rest. While discussing about his forthcoming television series "Fringe" in New York, the filmmaker insisted that the original Captain Kirk will not show up in the movie.

On the matter, Abrams rejected Shatner's chance on appearing in the film simply saying as quoted by IGN, " No, the only cast member from the original films is Nimoy." By stating Nimoy, he meant Leonard Nimoy, the original depicter of the USS Enterprise's science officer Mr. Spock. Previously, Shatner has also denied his involvement in the eleventh film saying, "I have no connection with the film whatsoever. It's the strangest thing. Even my dear friend Leonard [Nimoy] won't tell me what it's about."

Sharing further about the movie's status, Abrams revealed that he is expecting that the film's final cut is coming soon. "We're not done with it but we are working on it still. There have been cuts and, as everything goes, [it's] an evolution. I'm hoping the final cut is a few weeks away. But we're definitely circling," explained the producer of "Cloverfield".

Following the story of the young Captain Kirk and his USS Enterprise crew during their years at Starfleet Academy, "Star Trek" teams up Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Eric Bana, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban and many others. The movie scripted by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman is due to be released on May 8, 2009.

Link: http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00017887.html

Putting Kirk into this one would simply be pandering to Trekkies...especially those who are members of groups like Bring Back Kirk (dot com). They're going to have Nimoy in it, yes, but it's already been established that vulcans live far longer than humans, and if they had spock (at this point) aged as much as Kirk, it would either mean that Kirk had an incredibly long longevity, or that Spock had pathetic longevity. Besides, we already know how and when Kirk dies (both the official and unofficial times as seen in Genereations) and it just simply wouldn't work. :Hmmm...: I love Shatner, but his return would just be out of place.

I see everyone agrees so far! Yay!

It would have been nice to have a small (very small) token appearance by Shatner, but since it didn't fit in, we need to be accepting of a new Kirk and let Mr. Pine shine. Having Leonard Nimoy in it is a nod to the original cast so us Trekkies are appeased, now we need to look forward to the new and exciting adventures to come (hopefully).

It would have been nice to have a small (very small) token appearance by Shatner, but since it didn't fit in, we need to be accepting of a new Kirk and let Mr. Pine shine. Having Leonard Nimoy in it is a nod to the original cast so us Trekkies are appeased, now we need to look forward to the new and exciting adventures to come (hopefully).

I just hope trekkies and trekkers are more than just "appeased," since our support has helped make the franchise a very successful one. I hope the film has an interesting satisfying story and is exciting & appealing, but not just an action film, with action scenes just for action's sake, like the goofy TNG dune buggy scene for example. I will go see this film, but the question is: will I see it extra times on the big screen, because that is where real profit will be added to the filmmakers and studio.

Edited by trekz

Well, I usually pledge to have an open mind and go in with a positive attitude in things like this. With Nemesis, that was difficult to do because so much had been leaked (even the script) that people had judged it a failure before they even stepped into the theatre. Personally, I rarely see a movie more than once in the theatre, but I buy the DVD and I've been known to buy merchandise...

Personally, I think that all of the surviving original cast members should have a bit part in the movie, except for Koenig (just to piss him off)..... :Hmmm...:

They wouldn't play their Trek characters but would play a bit part somewhere. They did that in the "Lost In Space" movie and it was wonderful.

That's actually a good idea. Too bad Abrams didn't think of it. But, personally, I think Shatner probably priced himself out of any part in the movie, imho.

Personally, I think that all of the surviving original cast members should have a bit part in the movie, except for Koenig (just to piss him off)..... :Hmmm...:

They wouldn't play their Trek characters but would play a bit part somewhere. They did that in the "Lost In Space" movie and it was wonderful.

zachary_smith.jpg

The funny thing is with the 'Lost in Space' movie is they didn't get the original Dr. Smith (Johnathan Harris) who was pretty much the star of the show for any cameos.

zachary_smith.jpg

The funny thing is with the 'Lost in Space' movie is they didn't get the original Dr. Smith (Johnathan Harris) who was pretty much the star of the show for any cameos.

Both Johnathan Harris and Bill Mumy didn't appear in the Lost In Space movie. Don't know why Harris didn't but Mumy was pissed that they didn't use his script.

A lot of movies based on tv series gave cameos to some of the original stars. But Shatner has already appeared in several Trek movies and IMO a role other than Kirk wouldn't work for him.

It doesn't bother me at all he isn't in it. I agree with Indy - he'd have eaten the whole budget just for his cameo.

My vote went for Shatner. The ideas at Paramount must be non existent if all they could come up with was a re-cast of TOS geared at a younger audience -- That is bad enough, but giving a cameo to Nimoy while not including Kirk is unthinkable!! Surely, Paramount/CBS studios with their deep pockets could've afforded a small scene featuring the actor that for decades portrayed and defined one of the most enigmatic characters in the Star Trek universe. :Hmmm...:

Edited by GhostofMajorHayes