Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Sisko's mother

Sisko's mother. Now am I right in saying that she was a human female who was possessed by a wormhole alien (a bit like Keiko was by the Pah Wraith) who slept with Sisko's father (poor man: imagine looking like that traiter Cartright!) and then gave birth to Benjamin; a woman who then left after the Wormhole alien left her? Well. Did she have a choice in the matter? Is that not a bit like mind control or rape? If I was one day walking down the street and then bam! It's two years later and I have a baby, I would run too! (Homer: "strut those crazy legs Marge!") Now help me understand this. And is possession by any alien a bit like rape? I mean how many times have Troi etc been possessed. It must be unnerving.

You raise some interesting questions...but I'd have to say that I don't think possession by an alien would be considerded a form of rape. I would be interested to know, out of all the series and movies, how many alien possessions have taken place, good or evil(I just watched "Dramatis Personae" this afternoon...that's, what, 5 right there? And how about the Next Generation episode "Power Play", where Data, O'Brien and Troi are taken over?)?

But back to the subject, I suppose the wormhole alien had a good reason for possessing Sisko's mother, beyond the reason of destiny, etc. I'd have to watch the episodes in question again, but it's possible the writer's overlooked that simple fact of courtesy.

Stingray

I must have missed the episodes where this was discussed, which is not hard as there is still alot of DS9's last couple seasons that I have not seen yet. But this is an interesting topic so I am bumping it back up for some further discussion.

I must have missed the episodes where this was discussed, which is not hard as there is still alot of DS9's last couple seasons that I have not seen yet.  But this is an interesting topic so I am bumping it back up for some further discussion.

Yes, that's learned in Season 7's second episode "Shadows and Symbols" which is the ssecond part of a 2 part episode. It's the same episode where we learn who Ezri Dax is.

Hm. I had to think about this one for a minute. That is actually one of the few eps from the last season that I have on tape.

The whole situation bothers me for multiple reasons, not the least being feeling sorry for Joseph Sisko. Here he is, in love with this woman, and she only is with him because she is possessed. He does find someone more suitable, but how painful!

But rape? Not on JS's part. In forcing this woman to do what she would not herself choose to do - that is the alien's fault. And the alien did not rape her. But what word could you use for it?

And that poor woman, too, as was already mentioned. Waking up, "dis" possessed, and realize what a tenuous, disconcerting situation she is in.

I wonder how much she realized what was going on during that two year time. Could she hear/see/feel what was happening? Surely she must have realized, even when she "came to" that JS loved her...

There's no easy answer to any of that situation - which is as the writers designed it....

It is an interesting situation the writers created. I just watched this DVD 2 days ago and it brought up these same thoughts in my mind.

Was it a good plot turn for the writers to take?

the prophets planed benji's birth it was all staged so the prophecy could b fullfilled, and everything he went through in his life was staged by the aliens so yes you are correct and i guess in a way it is like rape only for that time the prophets wanted to concent with Siskos dad, and didnt they say that she loved his dad? yes i felt it was a great turn for the writers to take i loved it

Perhaps the wormhole alien responsible for the existence of Ben Sisko actually cared about Joseph Sisko. She seemed caring to me in the last episode of DS9, when she told Sisko that it was time to rest.

I think the wormhole aliens were well-intentioned, amd what they did was only partly for self-preservation. They protected the Bajorans and that whole sector by what they did.

I am not saying it was right to use the woman as they did.

But remember their whole way of thinking and doing is different, because they did not, prior to taking to Ben Sisko, have a sense of linear time.

So there would not necessarily be a clear concept of consequence of their actions on an individual life. In some sense, those actions always were.