Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Geordi's Visor

I have often wondered about what exactly Geordi saw through his visor, as we are presented with different versions. The early episode where his visor is hooked up to the view screen showed us the infra-red plains he saw solid objects in. Data for example radiated heat or energy and so was surrounded with a kind of an aura. Humans similarly were shapes of red and yellow.

So how did he view photos? How was he able to view people on viewscreens? And even then, how did he recognise people on viewscreens?

How did he fall in love with Lea Brahms? In person she would have appeared completely different to a hologram in terms of infra-red heat etc. I know one could argue that it was "the intelligence" which he fell for - but you know what I mean. Do beautiful people have beautiful heat signatures?

Then in First Contact he gets his first contacts - now he sees a bit more like us only sort of blue digital images. How would anyone adjust to this and why would they?

When Geordi rather implausibly gets his eyes back in Insurrection, he can see like us. Everything is beautiful, but how would he know? Wouldn't ANYTHING be beautiful to him since he has never seen before?

Just questions... <_<

When Geordi rather implausibly gets his eyes back in Insurrection, he can see like us. Everything is beautiful, but how would he know? Wouldn't ANYTHING be beautiful to him since he has never seen before?

Just questions... B)

Well, he did have normal vision before. In the episode "Hide & Q" Riker briefly 'allows' him to see like we do. :P (I can't believe I'm defending "Insurrection"! B) <_< )

As for your other questions... I've wondered about those very same things as well. B)

Edited by Mrs.Picard

Then in First Contact he gets his first contacts

OK, that was clever.

What I never understood was why he was allowed to keep the VISOR and / or remain on a starship. Between the Romulans using it to send him subliminal messages, Lore and Data using it (or rather the implants he needed because of it) to experiment on him, and Lursa and Bator using it to get the Enterprise's shield harmonics it has proved to be a security risk on multiple occasions.

That is true. If another crew member was injured because Geordi went crazy due to mind control due to his VISOR then that crew member could sue Star Fleet for negligence in failing to carry out a risk assessment and putting protections in place. Especially since they were well aware of the risks from other incidents.