Sign in to follow this  
Itchygomba69

Depression

Just wondering if anyone in here have dealt with Depression b4 and if you did how did u cope with it, I'm gonna have to go back on anti-depressants again, and if you dont want to discuss it in the group for everyone to see, send me a PM, I may put on a happy face to everyone, but I am not happy with much in my life now, I am being serious and am reaching out for help, I just started crying a bit agon for no reason, I am going through hell in my life and right now the internet is seriously like my only escape, I know I'm not always serious but I am dead serious right now

Thanks

Joe

I've never really dealt with depression myself, not in long bouts of it anyway. But I'm sure everyone has had some form of depression at one time or another. One thing I've always used as a "crutch" at times when I wasn't really feeling "up" is DS9, watching DS9 in blocks. Sometimes 10 or more episodes in a single day.

Of course you always know that you have friends here that you can spend time with during the day and pass some time having some fun.

I really wish I knew the right thing to say. I've never dealt with depression myself so I won't claim to know what you're going through. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I hope the anti-depressants help and you get some good advice from people who have dealt with this themselves. 246987.gif

As with anyone else, I've been depressed at times but not for very long so I wouldn't be a good person to get advice from. However, I know of at least 2 people on this forum who have gone through some serious depression. Hopefully, they will read this and pass along any insight.... :vbg:

I know that this doesn't mean much to you but I do pray for you every night, Joe...

Edited by Kor37

Whenever i get depressed i just do whatever that makes me happy like play a game, or sometimes i'll just workout and not let anything bother me then. i just get so depressed, i start listing off why i am in a journal or a blog.

I can relate to what you're going thru Joe. I deal with depression and lonliness alot. I always get a bad bout of depression around the holidays when everyone is happy and with loved ones..

When I get depressed I try to keep myself busy either with the internet or with real life, chores, hobbies. Yeah, I tend to watch lots of Star Trek, sometimes 10 hours or more a day..It does help me..Also, when I get particularly blue I re-watch the movie 'Free Enterprise'. I know to most it's just a silly, crazy movie. But for me it's about a trekkie who finds his true love who just happens to like Star Trek, Science Fiction and comic books. After all, isn't that all any of us want, to be loved by someone with similar interests and who will accept us as we are?

Lately I've been reading the TAO TE CHING and taking meditation classes. Meditating seems to help me and going to the classes is a good way to meet new, interesting people.

Well, I hope my comments help you some..At least perhaps they'll give you something to think about..What works for me may not work for you..I believe the key is to find something that helps you, something that will uplift your spirits and make you feel better..And you do have a great community of friends here to help you through this tough time..

Mike

post-1043-1207318756.jpg

This may cheer you up some, Joe. Its a pic of your favorite gal......Meg Griffin...er...uh....Mila Kunis!.. :vbg:

LOL KOr, I could care less if she is Mef, I've always thought she was hot from the 1st time I saw her on That 70's Show, she was the reason I watched it

I made myself an appointment @ the clinic, they should be able to get me some antidepressants, I was talking to others in my Lupus support group, and they said its common for people with Lupus to suffer from depression, its due to a chemical inbalance caused by the over-active Immune system thanks everyone for your concern and advice, this may sound dumb but I think when I get my Wii I'll be happier (I grew up an only child in a secluded area of town with only 1 other friend near by, your classic girl next door") cause I grew up with video games, I am also going on a search for a Dreamcast, cause I have a ton of games for mine down here with me, but my system is somewhere in PA, anything to get me happy and my mind away from where its been

I have dealt with depression most of my life. I finally went to a doctor earlier this week and they put me on anti depressants. I definitely know what your going though. Usually with me when I get really down I come here, play video games, or just find something else that I enjoy to try to take my mind off of it.

If you ever need to talk don't hesitate to PM me.

I was prescribed several different anti-depressants because apparently I've been clinically depressed since I was ten or so. I always flushed them down the toilet. Instead of using chemicals to try to change me to better fit society's norms, I thought it was a better idea to focus my depression into creative endeavors.

People too often use the word depression to describe being down, discouraged, blue etc. Everyone has passing moments where they feel that way. That's not depression - depression is a medical condition marked by a variety of of longterm symptoms. It's not permanent you can experience a bout of depression and naturally come through (if you can endure it)

Taking anti-depressants to correct an chemical imbalance is no different than taking insulin to correct a sugar imbalance. It's just that society is much more accepting of one than the other. Antidepressants do need to be prescribed by a reputable doctor - and it is true they are overprescribed but that doesn't mean that people that really need them shouldn't take them. But beware there are side effects

I think people don't want to accept depression or other mental illness as being medical because we have a hard time accepting that our bodies can influence how we feel - we like to believe we're in charge. That doesn't mean depression controls your actions - it does mean that you feel emotionally dead or lack the energy to go on living.

Even without medication - there are things that can make depression worse and things that can make it better. Excercise is one of the best treatments for depression but I'm guessing based on what I know of lupus that that isn't an option for you. Stress, lack of exerise, too little sleep and alcohol consumption can make it worse. In fact, some studies indicate some alcoholics may reallly be depressed but were either never diagnosed or simply refused to take medication because of the stigma. The side effects of treating depression with alcohol are worse than using antidepressants.

Sometimes situations can bring on clinical depression - loss of a loved one, a major life change, and most of all feeling helpless or hopeless in facing overwhelming obstacles. When depression isn't caused by chemical imbalance it may respond to counseling - sometimes changing your life situation - putting yourself in a situation where you have control over something is the best start. And yes, falling in love has been shown to cure depression (no joke).

Depression is emotional pain - sometimes it hurts so bad all you want is for it to stop - you can't think it away, will it away or pray it away. You can divert your attention from it like many have suggested with movies, videogames - a good science fiction novel. A little pill isn't going to change any of the things that makes a person's life suck - job, family, illness, loss, love life etc. But a little pill can for some people restore the ability to feel happiness even when nothing else changes.

There is no one size fits all answer - but seeking reputable, professional help is the best way to start. I wish you the best.

PS - do you have a pet - maybe you need a "best friend"

Well depression is common in people who have Lupus cause of how wacked out our bodies are, and an imbalance is normal

the Pet issues bothers is a bad subject and I think its adding to my depression , I had a dog named Benny...here is his pic

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg

and my aunt and uncle(I hate them now BRW) let me have him at their place, my rents who lived in FL set this up b4 I moved down here after the 2nd stroke, anyway they are the reason I got sick with Phenomia (SP) and had my 2nd stroke, cause they told my Mom and Dad I can stay with them, that they had a finished basement, yeah if you called finished a little corner of the basemen with 4 corners of drywall and lanoliam (SP) on top of cold concrete a room sure, they had a spare room, well they are the main cause of my 2nd stroke and getting hopitalized for a month and in ICU for thanksgiving of 06, well because Benny was @ their house and I wasnt suppose to make it, they got rid of Benny and it broke my heart and I am still upset over it now, hell i am tearing up as I type this, so I wish I had my Benny still :vbg: See I learned through this that I need to have the Moto of D.T.A. (Dont Trust Anybody) including "family" right now I dont want to get another up cause I once the SSI issue is resolved want to get out of this Hell Hole and back tp PA where my life was good

ugh I am bummed out now

I know my Depression is caused by the Lupus its making it worst, a social worker told me that in the hospital, I had to speak with one cause I was refusing care and just telling them to let me die

Are there any Lupus support groups in your area? Your local hospital might know of one. There may be Lupus support groups online, like Yahoo groups and on MySpace. I belong to 3 Dystonia groups, and they can be very helpful when depression, frustration, and despair strike.

Although it may be better to get "in person" support, at least with online support groups there's the knowledge that you're not alone, and they'll understand what you're going through because they went through it, too. :vbg:

When all else fails, I found that a good cry, tearing up old magazines, and throwing (unbreakable) things against the wall, provide some relief. Call me crazy, but I actually keep a pile of old magazines handy "just in case", and tearing up a few (while swearing vehemently) when I'm feeling down actually helps.

they got rid of Benny and it broke my heart and I am still upset over it now, hell i am tearing up as I type this, so I wish I had my Benny still

I'm so sorry - that is horrible

I hope they'll find the right antidepressant for you - since your's is definitely chemical in nature you should respond well. Don't get discouraged if you have to try a couple of different ones before you find the right one

And if you can't find a local support group - do find one online - they may be able to give you a lot of information and resources besides the moral support.