Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlyScaper

Introduction

Hi All,

I just joined this forum (got here through wilwheaton.net) and wanted to say hi and introduce myself...

I am an 'older' fan (39), I watched the original series in reruns when I moved back to the states in 1978 (I was born in the US but spent 10 years in Madrid, Spain). When NextGen came on, I was not particularly keen on the idea, but I did watch it. That became my favorite series, but I do like them all (I know call me weird :laugh: )

I *love* science fiction in pretty much any format.

I have been online since 1994, but have only started to join forums in the last year (my first foray into a forum was the Firefly forum while we were trying to save the show :laugh: ) I now love hanging out in forums (I mostly lurk though).

I went to my first convention last year (I had always toyed with the idea, but now have a life threatening illness and that has pushed me to do certain things I was afraid of previously) and absolutely *loved* it. We (hubby who is more of a scifi book fan) now try to go as often as we can. If you have not gone before I highly recommend it. The entire experience is well worth it (basically an entire weekend where you can party with like minded people, watch and meet interesting people (both the attendees and the talent) (yes there are some people that might be a little too interesting but not as many as portrayed in all the documentaries :spock: )).

Anyway, that was a pretty long intro, but Hello!

:lol:

O

Welcome to the board! I'm Kevin and I won't say I'm an older fan since I'm 7 years younger then you but I guess you could call me an "old school" fan.

We are actually planning a Convention of our own. We are too small to be able to schedule any of the stars but for those of us that are there we'll be having a plast. Check out the Convention section for what we're planning.

Hello FlyScaper and Welcome Aboard...!.I too am an older fan(44)..I like all the series pretty equally although TOS is still my true favorite..One day I'll get to a Star Trek Convention..I've always wanted to go..

Thanks for putting the ad there! :spock:

Yep, I spend (probably :laugh: ) a little too much time there...

He is definitely really cool!

Yep, I actually have two versions of the books. We got the first one (an uncorrected proof) at Grand Slam and just got the second one at the Vegas con.

It's really funny, but because of the way he is, every time I see him succeed, I feel like one of 'us' has 'done good'! :laugh:

O

WELCOME ABOARD FlyScaper !!!

I, too am an "older" member. May we live long and prosper!

Thank you all for the nice welcome! :assimilated:

I am real happy to know I am not the only 'older' person on a board or in fandom! Sometimes I think I am the only person over 30 who posts in some places! :frusty:

O

I was not sure where to post it, so I will just post this here. I just got an email from Creation (creationent.com if you want to check it out, FYI, I am in no way affiliated with them, I just go to their cons) about next year's Vegas con and it's going to be *four* days (July 29th through August 1st), yeah!!!

If you have the means I highly recommend going to that particular con (that was our first con last year). The only 'complaint' that I have is that this con is *huge*, but it's definitely a blast! What makes it particularly special for us is not only the con, but spending the entire weekend in the Star Trek experience and most definitely Quark's bar....

O